Wacom Companion & Companion Hybrid - Discussion thread
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wacom Companion & Companion Hybrid - Discussion thread

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Wacom Companion & Companion Hybrid - Discussion thread

http://www.facebook.com/Wacom/posts/10151269211541691

Merely a brief announcement, but this needs its own thread imo.

I assume they will essentially phase cintiq 12" out with this thing, especially if they can deliver a color accurate screen.

Would love to see this thing in action (and its pricetag too).

Smh hoping its working under mac os & they will finally sort drivers out by the time it's released because seriously.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About time Wacom made an announcement.

I'm almost certain its basically going to be just like the Lenovo LT1423p...just with Intuos/Cintiq grade specs.

But I find the "Mobile" part kind of interesting. A dedicated display unit like the Cintiq 12ux and Lt1423p would still require a host laptop or desktop for it to connect to. Portable yes....but I wouldn't really use the term mobile since that carries a more kind of "on the move" connotation. Which would lend more to an Ipad or Tablet PC type all in one device. But they wouldn't be able to use IOS or OSX...so that would eliminate Apple users from the mix, and given how Mac biased the creative industry is...Wacom would be shooting themselves in the foot if they tried that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just hoping for an IPS matte finish screen!
    Something like the S7S is what I'm envisioning it to be...

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm doubtful that it would be a matte screen. You need that acrylic layer there to protect the panel, and acrylic/glass is glossy by nature. I think the best we could hope for on the matte front is how they've handled the anti-glare in the current line of Cintiqs.

I'm hoping it will have a Surface Pro style screen, so the parallax will be minimized. I don't care if it's matte or glossy (I personally prefer glossy with no anti-glare layer, so I can get a protector that works for my needs instead of having to deal with grain).

I ordered a 22HD exactly one week ago, which has not yet arrived, and now I'm grumbling. I knew they'd announce something after I ordered it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a hard time seeing this causing the phase out the 12 inch Cintiq; There will still always be a market for tethered drawing tablets, and I can't see this thing being very cheap either! That's a lot of features stuffed into a small package, and Wacom, being Wacom, has no reason to make it inexpensive. I think eventually though, when things get more reasonable, there will be more people buying tablets, but I still like my Cintiq!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe it's going to be a bluetooth thing like that windows monitor. you can move it around, just not far.
    I'd even take it, if it had to be tethered to a laptop, if it only had one cord instead of the brick and all that.
    interesting!

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherbeard View Post
    I have a hard time seeing this causing the phase out the 12 inch Cintiq; There will still always be a market for tethered drawing tablets, and I can't see this thing being very cheap either! That's a lot of features stuffed into a small package, and Wacom, being Wacom, has no reason to make it inexpensive. I think eventually though, when things get more reasonable, there will be more people buying tablets, but I still like my Cintiq!
    But the 12WX is already being phased out. Wacom stated earlier in the year that it's not going to be available much longer, Newegg lists it as discontinued, and most retailers have it discounted $200+.

philofmars - I'm hoping this is what they meant by "mobile", but we'll have to wait and see, I guess!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
    But the 12WX is already being phased out. Wacom stated earlier in the year that it's not going to be available much longer, Newegg lists it as discontinued, and most retailers have it discounted $200+.

philofmars - I'm hoping this is what they meant by "mobile", but we'll have to wait and see, I guess!
    While this is true, what makes you think this new machine will be replacing it? The 12wx is older technology, sure, but the cost of chucking say, a HD version of the 12wx tablet into a windows 8-based PC (assuming it will be a Win8 tablet) would be a heckuva lot more expensive than a 12wx on it's own. I still think it's too early in the game for Wacom to replace that market segment with a full-blown tablet, and I could see a 13" or another similar size tablet-refresh, ala the 22hd, being the replacement for the 12wx. If Wacom didn't have a lower-end Cintiq at that price point, they would be losing out on quite a bit of business...

That said, I also think Wacom is creating a new market for itself with the new product line, and it's a fantastic idea!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Featherbeard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While this is true, what makes you think this new machine will be replacing it? The 12wx is older technology, sure, but the cost of chucking say, a HD version of the 12wx tablet into a windows 8-based PC (assuming it will be a Win8 tablet) would be a heckuva lot more expensive than a 12wx on it's own. I still think it's too early in the game for Wacom to replace that market segment with a full-blown tablet, and I could see a 13" or another similar size tablet-refresh, ala the 22hd, being the replacement for the 12wx. If Wacom didn't have a lower-end Cintiq at that price point, they would be losing out on quite a bit of business...

That said, I also think Wacom is creating a new market for itself with the new product line, and it's a fantastic idea!
    Oh I agree with all of this! I don't think it'll be a replacement, just a product we have sorely missed. the 12 is due for a redo with all it's jitter isssues. But the tablet market has lacked a capacitative screen for us. If they can pull off atablet with pressure sensitivity. it'd be awesome, but I'd be just as happy with a laptop add-on that isn't so clunky so I can use my CS on a bus.

http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I never stated or suggested that. You said this wouldn't cause the 12wx to be phased out, but it's already being phased out - whether or not this is a replacement for it.

However, there are two things that make this appear as though it could be a replacement: the 12wx was their response to people wanting a portable/mobile cintiq, and the price point (based on current competition) could easily be in the $1000-$1500 range that the 12wx is/was in.

Of course, this is Wacom, so it also could easily be in the $2500-$4000 price point as well. I'm excited about their new releases no matter what they are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never said you were stating nor suggesting that, I was replaying to the original poster: "I assume they will essentially phase cintiq 12" out with this thing", nor was I ever debating if the 12wx was being phased out. Of course it is, I just don't think this thing will be it's replacement. I'm trying to figure out how you extrapolated me saying the 12wx wasn't being phased out?

Last edited by Featherbeard; March 6th, 2013 at 02:49 PM.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just to clarify my post, I think it would be the smallest cintiq model and there won't be an ugrade to 12"/15" cintiq with intuos 5 tech underneath offered in the future.

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I just stumbled upon this post, which might clear some confusions:
    NOTE:
    The Cintiq 13HD is a new interactive pen display, the successor of Cintig 12WX.
    It is not the mobile tablet that we have spoken about on March 1st. The mobile Wacom tablet will come out in summer. We are very sorry for the confusion.
    Exciting!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dumbnudge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    def. excited for the slate, wish they published specs and OS sooner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After the Jaja stylus failed and Thinkpad tablet is slow, this is the only hope.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's still the IPEN 2, which will definitely make those ipads worth it, at least for digital painting. If we want zbrush we should look for another thing.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to technokill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    from what ive read androids sketchbook pro has got really good these past few months. lots of updates and its quite nice now. galaxy note 10.1 is looking better then it has in the past. people saying there is no good drawing apps for android just isnt true anymore. i would rather actually have wacom build a 12 inch android device. a windows device lasts maybe 4 hours at best. android will last like 15 hours. i do have a suspicion that it will be like the yinova 10.1 cintiq that connects using just 2 usb connectors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the 13 inch cintiq will cost 999$ and it's just a screen with a pen, how much will a full tablet computer cost? The price will probably be ridiculous.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    from what ive read androids sketchbook pro has got really good these past few months. lots of updates and its quite nice now. galaxy note 10.1 is looking better then it has in the past. people saying there is no good drawing apps for android just isnt true anymore. i would rather actually have wacom build a 12 inch android device. a windows device lasts maybe 4 hours at best. android will last like 15 hours. i do have a suspicion that it will be like the yinova 10.1 cintiq that connects using just 2 usb connectors.
    While Sketchbook Pro is certainlty better then it used to be.....in all honesty....it would be utterly cruel for Wacom to curse their mobile tablet with Android.

Sketchbook Pro and Layer Paint are good...but thats really it. Infinite Painter is getting a bit better...and cloverpaint is still confusing.....but those 4 apps still gravley pale to to Ipad Art apps.

Its really tragic, esspeically since the Galaxy Note Line has been out for a while now..I was certain that by now we would have more quality apps to use.

For Drawing/Pen use....the Galaxy Note 10.1's digitizer and capabilites are already sufficent for art creation....its the lack of decent art apps thats the problem. Making a new penabled "Android Tablet" would be redundnat since the flaw is in the apps, not the hardware. The Pen hardware anyway.

The Galaxy Note 10.1 uses the same digitizer used in Tablet PCs....but if you compare the brush performance on the Galaxy Note to that of a Core i5 slate like the S7S...while the Note can certainly create good art....there is just sadly no comparision to more powerful windows build.

But lets say Wacom did devleop a Mobile Android Tablet with Cintiq grade specs.

The Android Art apps aren't coded for keyboard shortcuts....so express keys/scroll wheels ....although still possiable technically...would be kind of a mess to impliment.

And even if they threw in Tilt Control, the .01 gram tip sensor, and 2048 pressure levels.....none of the exisiting Android Art apps would be able to take advantage of those specs....the performance would still be gimped and comparable to that of the exisiting Galaxy Note 10.1, and still inferior to the the perfomance that can already be achived a decent spec'd tablet PC.

If Wacom is making this thing android based...they better be preping alot of new art apps to go along with it, otherwise it wouldn't be any more useful then the current Note 10.1

and as far as battery life...at Full screen brightness and using the pen...you can net only 5-6 hours of battery life on the Note 10.1. Lowering the brightness would certainly prolong the battery life, but the digitizer itself adds to the drain. A Windows based Tablet running on a Clovertrail Atom Platform would be perferable to Android since it can net a simmilar battery life.

The only bright side to Wacom making the Tablet Android Based is that the Wacom name could influnece software and app devlopers like Corel, LuckyChan or Savage Interactive to develope Android Versions of Painter, Art Studio, & Pro Create...etc.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really sure wacom name will be enough to make android app appear. The note line already have a wacom build, is famous because of the stylus (even for non-artist), and still waiting news app to appear... It's probably because it's not that common for artists to think about them as mobile sketchbook. It's sad because that's currently the best option for sketch on-the-go (imo) ^^

Apple have the fame, but the stylus for it still can't match a real digitizer. But, if you take a look at some other forums, people still pick Ipad or advise other people to take an Ipad because Ipad are...Ipad. The Note 10.1 only appears as "second choice" and Atom tabletPC barely are mentionned. The real reason why they aren't news app in my opinion come from that ignorance, a majority of people just don't know what are the possibilities on the market...

I agree Wacom tablet would be more efficient on a windows device, but looking at how Samsung-Wacom are conflicting with Microsoft, I feel something will be wrong... Maybe Wacom have a different partnership to built the tablet. I hope so, because I can't see Samsung shoot in their own Ativ line of product either...

Last edited by Griffonnage; March 25th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
    * My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see where this will be anything but a toy anyway. Yeah you can sketch on it, but unless you can get some quality work that you can export into a bigger machine, it's just a battery draining sketchpad. If you think you're going to do serious work, get a cintiq. at least then you can use real software and not worry about losing power.
    A scanner and paper won't even cost you 150 bucks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if a tablet can be reduce to "just a toy". The cintiq 13hd is "just a toy" too if you use it only for sketch because of its size. A tablet can be used everywhere and it's easier to carry than a laptop + a tablet. Maybe less efficient, but at least you can still "work".

By work, I mean, do sketch, study colors, and concept, and whatever you can do with digital software + the usual internet stuff connectivity + eventually some video/photo as references from life (well ok, tablet aren't the best for that).
    Years ago I was used to carry with me a sketchbook, pencils, aquarels, water brushes and some colors pencil, plus markers just to be able to draw in train or while waiting somewhere. It end that I just lost some of my materials, had always a super big bag to carry with me, made my sketchbook dirty or coloured some of my lesson books accidentaly... I'm not the best exemple as "artist on the go" :p, but honestly it wasn't a nice situation.

That's why I feel a tablet is more usefull when you are on a trip. You don't need to take your full desk with you.

I will always agree : a tablet will never ever be as good as real paper with pencil, watercolors or oils. But it's not easy to carry everything everytime, so for me a tablet is a good tool for creativity and training. For details and more ambitious work, that can't match a cintiq, but honestly, even if its size is limited, a tablet can already help to learn a lot before going to a bigger sister

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good points! It's all how you look at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just ran across some information that peeked my interest. It appears that Samsung had acquired either 5 or 10 percent of Wacoms stock. Maybe Wacom is going to partner with Samsung and use their expertice in Tablets to build Wacoms portable Tablet. I thought it was a little bit of a coincidence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it´s summer and we haven´t heard anything anymore.

But there are some interesting facts, like Samsung taking a share in Wacom stock earlier this year.
    So it might well be that Samsung will be producing the tablet for Wacom and Wacom just delivering the design and pen tech.

We can actually almost be certain it will be Windows 8.1 based if they want to be serious about this tablet and people being able to continue use their favorite Apps like Photoshop and Painter.

Intel has now released their new Haswell processors with much better performing Integrated Graphics (HD 5000 series).

So a Windows based tablet is actually a pretty good bet, as battery life won´t be a serious issue anymore with the new energy efficient Haswell processors.

But the kicker will ofcourse be the price. You can almost be certain it won´t be under 1000 bucks. That´s for sure.

So I guess I´ll be going for the Intuos 5 instead. With my new macbook pro retina, it´s nice and portable too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally some updates from Wacom on the New Mobile Tablet.

Wacoms Europe Facebook page has this 4-page comic addressing the new device.

Its very cryptic...but it kind of confirms that this new tablet will be available with either Windows or Android. On the 3rd comic panel...notice the logos on the 2 box's

There will be a new comic posted every week for the next five weeks, so we'll probably get the full unveiling right around September 1st.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8125369&type=1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be really disappointed if it ends up being another Samsung Note 10.1. especially after waiting all this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    I will be really disappointed if it ends up being another Samsung Note 10.1. especially after waiting all this time.
    At least the Android version will be. Just that they probably some physical buttons on the left side to make it Wacom, so they can boost the price to Premium level.

Stoneseeker is offline pro 2D animator / aspiring illustrator Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep, there will at least be some difference in that it will be made with the artist in mind. At the very least it will boast more "pressure levels" *rolls eyes* and hopefully have plenty of bezel physical shortcut buttons or at least a nice software interface that allows you to use touch on a portion of the screen where you can program shortcuts like AUTOHOTKEY except it will be Wacom made. Given their attention to aesthetics and detail, I have no doubt it will look nice and work well, but it won't be the powerful large TPC of our dreams. Not yet at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ideal thing with Wacom releasing such a device would be if they allowed it to be somewhat upgrade-able; or atleast have decent specs to begin with.

For me, ideally it would be specced as:
    i5 and i7 Haswell options, preferably full voltge.
    Say one or more mSata drives; full SSD's/HDD's are pointless here.
    Upgrade-able RAM to have a capability of possibly 16GB. 8GB minimum IMO.
    13-14" IPS anti-glare screen with amazing display with enough bezel to grip and also support physical buttons.
    Maybe 20-30mm thick
    WiFi, 2 USB ports, SD, 3/4G options, 1024 REAL pressure levels and tilt at a minimum (I get by with the 256 and no tilt on my x230t though), and also the nice pen we all know and love.

Shit, just chuck some nice hardware into a current 13HD and be done with it.
    It's size is pretty decent, make it 16:10 as opposed to 16:9 and I will be more than happy to let Wacom sodomise my wallet!

Yeah, the touch options I'm iffy about.
    I rarely use it on my x230t and it's always off on my Intuos5 small. But who know's, I may change my opinion if it becomes really useful.

I honestly can't imagine any of this costing any less than AUD $2800.00, considering the 13HD costs $1000.00, there'll definitely be a hefty fee for any hardware options.

That's what I would love for a windows platform.
    If they're going ahead with Android too then either Wacom or other companies are going to have to lift their game with better drawing apps.
    I don't use Android tablets, however to my knowledge none of the current hardware or software for them support more than 256 levels of pressure sensitivity or tilt/rotation which would mean Wacom would have to launch with a signature app or something to boost sales.
    If there's no game changing options for the Android platform then I can't imagine people dropping the 10.1 or other for this...

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 29