Wacom Companion & Companion Hybrid - Discussion thread - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With what kind of hardware were you experiencing this? Desktop shouldn't have that issue, nor should a regular power laptop. ULV Tablets I could see struggling with large brushes in any program, so thats nothing new...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beefy desktop, there's no way the hardware was holding back the program at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really? What size brush were you trying to use?? I have worked on some pretty large images with complex brushes on my T902 and have not noticed any lag yet. What version were you running? Seems weird that if that were the norm, more people wouldn't be complaining about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemome View Post
    I don't get why so many people want the full blown up Photoshop on-the-go.
    No matter if a device has hotkeys are not, I am always missing a big screen and my keyboard when it comes to working with Photoshop.
    It's just not made for a portable use in my opinion.
    The reason is probably that most people after spending hours to create custom brushes for foliage, chain, architectural details and so on, don't want to throw away all this work because the program that is supposed to work on the go doesn't allow to use those brushes because of the lack of flexibility. A good layer engine that supports at least clipping layer and layer mask is also great.

Now, I am not talking anymore about Photoshop as there are some serious issues actually to use it on a portable device so I will talk more specifically about Manga Studio 5. Here the kind of reason why I think the primitive apps you can find on Android or iOS are not enough when you tasted something else:

-You can set a document template on your desktop that you will be able to use on portable device. For example, I added to my material library a template with two groups of layers containing multiple layers + dynamic overlay textures on clipping layer. All of them are already named and tagged with color to easily differentiate them. As it is a template, I can set the size I want and I have nothing special to do.

-Manga Studio 5 (Manga Studio 4 and Manga Studio 5 are in fact two different Japanese programs) is designed around a material library where you can add 3D object, Bitmap pattern or texture, 2D image for brush or whatever you want (complete sky, trees, skyscrapers in background, mountain and so on). So, months after months, you create more and more stuff that will enlarge your material library. All these elements can be reused on the go. Imagine you are working on a project and you have designed 10 or 20 kinds of fresco that you will use with ribbon brush. You just need a brush stroke to give to a quick sketch done on the go, the kind of precision you would normally be able to do only on your desktop.

-On your desktop, you created some 3D models like snail stairs or any kind of simplified architecture. You can use these 3D object to assist you. You just need to drag and drop the 3D model inside your canvas and Manga Studio will create automatically 3 points perspective ruler that you will be able to use on the go. All of your brushes can snap to the perspective ruler. Again, it gives you lot of precision without any effort from your side...
    ...and once you are on your desktop and because it is the same program, you can keep the same file which means that the rulers, 3D objects, dynamic pattern/texture are already there as there is no need to convert your document to another format so nothing is lost.

-In Manga Studio 5, you have access to pressure/tilt/velocity curve for lots of brush settings. That means you can control in a really precise way the behavior of any brush. That means you can spend some time designing your brushes the way you want to optimize your workflow. For example, I can create a brush that will add 100% of its own color to the canvas when used at small size with low pressure and no grain and that will completely blend with the layer color at 60% pressure, and more you will add pressure and more grain it will add to the brush and less color it will add to the layer. Because you can set it precisely, it reduces the need to switch for a different brush which works better when used on the go.

-Well, as this thread is not about Manga Studio, I will just finish with this kind of feature, the anti-overflow...
    you set the lineart layer a reference layer and you paint on a bottom layer and...
    Wacom Companion & Companion Hybrid - Discussion thread
    Manga Studio 5 automatically prevents the paint to exceed the line
    here the limitation
    you need to keep the center of the brush in one side of the line
    and you need to prevent that the size of the brush doesn't exceed the end of the line

So, with this kind of feature, the Android or iOS app selection looks not really great in my eyes. Remember, I am not talking about <400€ device to replace a small sketchbook, I am talking about >1000€ device that allows to work on your current project in mobility condition so there is a real need to reuse what you already have made on your desktop in a seamless way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffonnage View Post
    Thanks for sharing this hecarta
    You're welcome.
    This program deserves much more attention than the only comic artist community.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-nine View Post
    off topic, but, There were things I really liked about manga studio 5, but the brush lag on any decently sized brush killed it almost immediately for me. It has a ton of potential, and I'd love to be able to use it because of the awesome things that it does do, but if I can't paint with a 250+px brush without having a hiccup on every stroke I can't really use your software without putting my sanity at risk.
    I am using on 6 years old computer and I am able to use 1000px brush.
    Now, like any advanced brush engine, you can set a brush that will lag in an impressive way. So you need to identify what is slowing down the brush engine. People coming from Photoshop are usually not used to stabilization or post correction features that are perceived as lag. There is also some feature like the blur which is usually fast but can slow down a lot a brush stroke when set by default. For example, if you set your brush to smear the paint, by default the "intensity of blur" is set to "automatic". This setting is not needed for a brush that smear the paint but it slows down a lot the brush engine so it is needed to set it to fixed and 0%. The look of your brush stroke will not really change but the performance will be completely different. That's just an example.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the info about Manga Studio. I never tried it out based on the name - I thought it was some budget art software with lots of manga oriented templates and brushes or something. I am going to pick this up, and the interface does look perfect for a tablet.

I've waited years for something like this. I bought the Surface Pro hoping it would meet my needs but I ended up returning it because of poor pen calibration, battery life, and slowness. Right now I am waiting for either this Wacom tablet or the Haswell Surface Pro whenever that comes out. If Wacom delivers a good product in the $1,500 or below price range, I am all in, otherwise I will wait for Surface Pro 2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NJR View Post
    Thanks for all the info about Manga Studio. I never tried it out based on the name - I thought it was some budget art software with lots of manga oriented templates and brushes or something. I am going to pick this up, and the interface does look perfect for a tablet.

I've waited years for something like this. I bought the Surface Pro hoping it would meet my needs but I ended up returning it because of poor pen calibration, battery life, and slowness. Right now I am waiting for either this Wacom tablet or the Haswell Surface Pro whenever that comes out. If Wacom delivers a good product in the $1,500 or below price range, I am all in, otherwise I will wait for Surface Pro 2.
    I think the new wacom device will be at least 2000 usd. if you figure that the 13hd is just a screen and this new wacom device is very similar with a whole computer inside. well I think we will lucky if its just 2000 and not more.

1200-1500 would be a better price and what most tablets like it are going for. but wacom overprices everything so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It very well could be that the brushes "out of the box" just aren't set up to work very well at print quality sizes, I will admit there was a lot I didn't understand and didn't have the patience to research when I tried MS5. I will give it another go sometime in the future, and hopefully it can impress me then, it does have some amazing features in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 grand, I'd be scared to carry it around! If it's that much, I'd better be able to switch out batteries myself. this sealed up case thing on tablets is for the birds. 80 bucks for a new battery on my 3rd gen ipod... ridiculous. I assume I'd burn up a wacom battery in a year. lots of heavy computation there.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    2 grand, I'd be scared to carry it around! If it's that much, I'd better be able to switch out batteries myself. this sealed up case thing on tablets is for the birds. 80 bucks for a new battery on my 3rd gen ipod... ridiculous. I assume I'd burn up a wacom battery in a year. lots of heavy computation there.
    I would be scared to carry something that expensive around these days as well. ive heard of people getting jumped just for their iphone never mind an expensive tablet. Then again I guess it all depends how tough you look. if they want my phone they can take it. its an old flip phone from 2001.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my i7 T902 tablet was $3100 after taxes and I upgraded it with 512gig SSD, 16 gigs ram. It's worth it if you can use it to make money and write off a portion during taxes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    I would be scared to carry something that expensive around these days as well. ive heard of people getting jumped just for their iphone never mind an expensive tablet. Then again I guess it all depends how tough you look. if they want my phone they can take it. its an old flip phone from 2001.
    AHAHAHAAA! Mine too! It's a virgin mobil 20 bucks every 3 months flip phone. My kids are mortified when I pull it out. But really, I pay in a year what others pay per MONTH. And as a bonus I don't get texted. ever.

http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next comics released, still showing some things really similar to the 13 HD. This time it's the pen box, plus a softwares compatibility list. Is that list working with android too ? I don't think so, painter never released a portable app, right ?

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next comics released, still showing some things really similar to the 13 HD. This time it's the pen box, plus a softwares compatibility list. Is that list working with android too ? I don't think so, painter never released a portable app, right ?

Could it be that it lets you use cloud based software like cs6? DOes painter have a cloud based app? If so, I'd think that'd drain the battery like nothing. All that streaming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah philofmars.
    Streaming technology isn't ready for something like that. At least not for the wide market.

I think there was no real intention behind showing just these programs in the comic.
    These are some of the key programs artists are going to use, so they basically just stated that they will run on the tablet.
    Everyone who owned a good windows tablet before might already know that, but I guess that doesn't count for everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think some people are confused. adobe cc applications are still downloaded to your computer completely. it only uses the cloud for license verification. If the license cant verify then the application wont start. the application is not streamed though. This is in the adobe faq for cloud based subscriptions.

this new comic info sorta sucked. all it showed was the 13hd pen case which was useful to know it would have the same. we already knew it was a windows device so obviously all those applications they listed would work. I expected so much more from the 4/5 comic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why in a world, a mobile tablet has a pen in it's own inclosure, it should be tacked in the body of the tablet. Also the other comic shows it with some kind of double bezel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    i think some people are confused. adobe cc applications are still downloaded to your computer completely. it only uses the cloud for license verification. If the license cant verify then the application wont start. the application is not streamed though. This is in the adobe faq for cloud based subscriptions.
    Great, so they adopted Blizzard's idiocy. I thought it was something more advanced than that. I really haven't looked into it as I got cs6 a few months ago and that will last me a good year or two. But then, I suppose that's what this is about. People that don't upgrade regularly to keep a steady income for them.

Last edited by philofmars; August 16th, 2013 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you think they'll unveil at midnight?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you think they'll unveil at midnight?
    Here you go http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/19/w...anion-tablets/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by munho View Post
    screwdatnoise. for the price I'd get a 22.

Here's another review http://theslanted.com/2013/08/9298/w...a-hefty-price/

Last edited by philofmars; August 20th, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sigh. I knew it would be 2 grand. I think I will stick to paper for now. 2g is to much for something that doesnt even have haswell in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah but really it's a 13hd AND a tablet, so 1600 isn't far off if you wanted a cintiq 13hd anyway. What scares me is they say you use it for "light work" meaning it probably can't handle much heavy duty art and keep a charge.
    we'll see!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bulky, expensive and sounds already outdated on arrival. Would go with $500 iPad 5 and Jot Touch, thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah but really it's a 13hd AND a tablet, so 1600 isn't far off if you wanted a cintiq 13hd anyway. What scares me is they say you use it for "light work" meaning it probably can't handle much heavy duty art and keep a charge.
    we'll see!
    actually, the big FAIL is the full windows 8 is NOT a cintiq as well. Only the Android Wacom companion "hybrid" doubles as a cintiq. It couldn't get any more stupid than this... WTF Wacom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Stoneseeker....Being able to use the Windows Version as a Cintiq would greatly help justify the $2000 price tag. I'd be all down with pre-ordering the Companion if it had the Cintiq compatability. The lack of that feature kind of kills the purchase for me. As much as I love the Bezel buttons...that big bezel puts it on the same size footprint as a 15 inch laptop. It won't match the portability found in the the current Windows Tablets.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Bulky, expensive and sounds already outdated on arrival. Would go with $500 iPad 5 and Jot Touch, thanks.
    That whys Wacom's product to you is the new Intuos Creative Stylus.

http://intuoscreativestylus.wacom.com/en/

I think its complete garbage...even with a battery they still couldn't rig a more traditional wacom nib..from a practical use it seems no different from the Pogo connect. So I'll be sticking with my Galaxy Note.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL! What an utter fail!

A brandnew designed tablet from Wacom and what do they put in? A battery draining Third gen Intel CPU With a heavily outdated Intel 4000 GPU!! /FACEPALM

Why the hell didn´t they go With the new battery effecient Intel Haswell CPU With the much better Intel 5000 series GPU? Tjeez!

And then we are not even talking about the price! Sorry, but you would be nuts to pay that much for already outdated hardware like this, when you can buy the Cintiq 22HD for the same price!

I Guess I cannot wait for Microsoft´s upcoming Surface Pro 2 tablet, which will be less than half the price. /shrug

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At this price I woudn't carry it arround, not even at one step from my desktop... The android version is as expensive as a full win8 tabletPC like the samsung ativ Q, but it have the interesting ability to become a full cintiq wehn pluged, that can make it interesting... 500$ more for some portability isn't "that" expensive but again I would wait to see how long it last.

The windows 8 version... well, honestly, at a price tag like this, I would go for a real cintiq. Not to add I highly doubt about the battery life it will have...

* My current blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At this price I woudn't carry it arround, not even at one step from my desktop... The android version is as expensive as a full win8 tabletPC like the samsung ativ Q, but it have the interesting ability to become a full cintiq wehn pluged, that can make it interesting... 500$ more for some portability isn't "that" expensive but again I would wait to see how long it last.

The windows 8 version... well, honestly, at a price tag like this, I would go for a real cintiq. Not to add I highly doubt about the battery life it will have...

AGREED! I am already leery about carrying things like ipads and iphones around worth 500 bucks. I can't imagine working on it in a subway. You're just asking to have it stolen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not only stolen, I can't imagine it falling or being used by somebody else (I think I would bark to everyone asking me to try it ahah), I would be too afraid the warranty will not cover any damages.
    I suppose it will be a good tool for animators that need to study from models or concept artist during meeting, but that's definitly not for all pro artists purpose and wallets ! I'm still curious to see how it perform, I want to compare it to my ATIV and see how much different the experience is.

Hopefully, with samsung wish to put stylus in every single product they create now, Asus innovative will and all other brands competition, there will be cheaper alternatives.

* My current blog

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8