new hardware new software
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: new hardware new software

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

new hardware new software

If anybody is familiar with paint tool SAI I could use some help. I can't locate the crop tool or text tool. The only resources I could dig up were brush related. I'm sure there is more under the hood. Judging by the quality of the brushes they wouldn't overlook something basic like cropping.

I'm also working on a windows tablet PC. It has a ton of glide and I have to live without key commands for the time being. If anybody has any experience with that workflow or any resources you can recommend, I'd be totally grateful
    Name:  gobrown-sai.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  231.9 KB
    And for the picture it's self. Yeah this guy is taking a dump in somebodies combat vehicle. The biggest problem the composition seems to lead the eye to the bumper and not the dumper.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you do any thumbnails for this? Doing some while keeping in mind the rule of thirds and value structure could help you figure out a composition that has the focal point you want (the guy and not the bumper). Horizontal format might be better.

And it would be worth the time to get some vehicle refs and work out the perspective on yours. That back wheel (besides being oddly... not aligned with the axle) looks a bit narrow for a "combat vehicle", while also seeming bit too large in diameter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I did some thumbs, but I decided to expand on the car on a whim. Still sort of experimenting with sai.

I typically wait until I have an idea before I worry about ref for anything but inspiration. I like to do studies and then get to business on a finish. I really can't do both at the same time.

Right now I am hunting for ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just figured out the crop tool in sai. There is none. But you can crop a selection. This is more like the thumbnail.
    Name:  gobrown-2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  128.5 KB

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Before this zoom in, had no idea what this was a picture of.

Might want to doodle with the program, you know loose sketches things without a lot of structure. Play with boxes and circles. I wouldn't get too crazy into exact objects like vehicles right now. Just play with it because right now it's kind of looking incoherent.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah. you make a good point. I do need to get back to the basics since I'm starting fresh. Starting with back posture. Working on a touchscreen isn't as comfortable as I thought it would be.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.