final yera at university exhibition
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

final yera at university exhibition

was just wanting help with crits on some of my work which aren't finished quite yet but are in the final stages, btu would like some help on criting my work so that i can make my final exhibition a blast.
    with the work i know the flaming lady needs clothing so as to de-sexualise it so i will be adding rope binding her down, and i know in the knights picture theres a few edges that need sharpening and perspectivesthat need tweaking. But if there's anything else you see or could suggest id love to hear it.Name:  Screen shot 2013-02-28 at 16.59.21.png
Views: 300
Size:  983.0 KBName:  Screen shot 2013-02-28 at 16.59.11.png
Views: 295
Size:  1.29 MB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the main thing that jumps out at me is that everything appears to have this same fuzzy texture. And while that might be good for the clothing, it doesn't do so well for the armor and weapon. If you look at metal surfaces they usually don't have these smooth gradient blends, there's a lot of stark contrast between adjacent colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's your aim with these images? If it's some sort of "expressionism" - then all is good. If you, however, wish to go for convincing representation of a night scene, then you've got some fundamental problems with lighting.

Light should unify the scene. This means that every object, without exceptions, must submit to "laws" dictated by light sources.

A couple examples of this "union" by light. Light direction(or position) must be the same for all objects. All objects close to the source will be brighter than ones that are far away. All objects can occlude light, thus casting shadows. All objects which don't "see" the source will be in shadow. If light source is colored, all lit objects will shift their hues...etc.

These may seem like obvious things to point out, but this principle of union by light is easily overlooked when submerged into process of working from imagination.

Your paintings suffer from evident un-unity of light. Especially the first one. It looks like every object (bracer, fold, finger, hair clump...) comes with its own little private light source attached, not caring at all about light situation around it. The warm-cold contrast you attempted is executed in a way too naive to suggest any sort of "realism".

So try to rethink your lighting with this principle in mind. Studying photo reference with similar light situations may help you a lot.

A good hint can be taken from French baroque painter Georges de La Tour. Check him out. He's known for painting night scenes under weak warm sources such as candles and torches. A situation comparable to what you have in your paintings. Note how light is extra strong near the source but tends to decay quickly with distance until things get swallowed by darkness.

Name:  la_tour.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  82.0 KB

Last edited by LaCan; February 28th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LaCan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll point out that fire doesn't burn from the outside in, but from the bottom up (the flames themselves are not that hot). Just to add to the gruesomness of reality, the witch-burning fires were actually small; the intent was to keep the accused alive as long as possible, so they used fires that would melt the fat under the skin of the feet and calves, and this fat would then catch fire - but the air near her head was cool enough that she could still breathe. Gotta love the inquisition ( I believe the last woman burned as a witch was in the mid 1800-s in Spain). Also, women accused were often shaved from head to toe, in order that the (male) examiners could examine her closely (for signs of the devil of course, never because of their own repressed sexuality)...

D'Arcy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to justa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by justa View Post
    I'll point out that fire doesn't burn from the outside in, but from the bottom up (the flames themselves are not that hot). Just to add to the gruesomness of reality, the witch-burning fires were actually small; the intent was to keep the accused alive as long as possible, so they used fires that would melt the fat under the skin of the feet and calves, and this fat would then catch fire - but the air near her head was cool enough that she could still breathe. Gotta love the inquisition ( I believe the last woman burned as a witch was in the mid 1800-s in Spain). Also, women accused were often shaved from head to toe, in order that the (male) examiners could examine her closely (for signs of the devil of course, never because of their own repressed sexuality)...
    I'm in the middle of reading Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison. First few chapters go to great lengths to describe various forms of pre-Enlightenment capital punishment and torture, backed with quotes from historical sources. It also inquires ideological background of these atrocities. Interesting read. Not that much material on stakes though. I'm adding your factoids to my witch trivia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ideologies are pernicious things, basically once you can separate the world into us and them, it's easy to dehumanize "them" - and now our moral codes don't apply, we can do what we want and justify it. It is what underlies suicide bombings, people tortured (sorry, "enhanced interrogation techniques") in military prisons, slavery, the holocaust, etc etc. Carl Sagan's book here has a lot of information about the witch trials - the sheer number of women murdered is astounding.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Demon-Haunted-W.../dp/0345409469

D'Arcy

p.s. sorry, completely off topic there !

Members who have read this thread: 1