Laser printers and a certain paper

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Laser printers and a certain paper

I need the opinions and knowledge from those who have played with laser printers and know a thing or two about book-quality paper. Right to the point, I plan to self publish some material of mine and am trying to find which sort of printer would best do the job. I want to shoot for a wide format, color laser printer, to make copies of my own illustrations. The sort of paper I am looking for, I cannot remember its name. They are smooth and have a slick surface, almost, ALMOST like photo glossy paper, but not quite. These are not terribly thick in paper weight either.
    These two elements I really need to figure out and I would be super appreciative of your help.

My intention is to manifest copies of my art journals and other treats from my studio to share with the public.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd rather just go to a FedEx/Kinkos or whatever for that kind of stuff.

EDIT: Listen to Qitsune.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 28th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A domestic color laser printer doesn't make professional looking prints. I have one and it's fine for text and reference pictures, but the color reproduction is lame. Some inkjet printers do make high quality prints (after all, a giclée is a high quality inkjet print.) High quality printers require maintenance and calibration and it's often not worth the trouble to do that yourself. Rely on a professional. If I were you, I wouldn't go to Kinkos, but I would go to actual printers in my areas and ask what they can do and ask to see samples. They also usually have a range of paper they can let you choose from.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    A domestic color laser printer doesn't make professional looking prints. I have one and it's fine for text and reference pictures, but the color reproduction is lame. Some inkjet printers do make high quality prints (after all, a giclée is a high quality inkjet print.) High quality printers require maintenance and calibration and it's often not worth the trouble to do that yourself. Rely on a professional. If I were you, I wouldn't go to Kinkos, but I would go to actual printers in my areas and ask what they can do and ask to see samples. They also usually have a range of paper they can let you choose from.
    Thank you for the reply and your ideas. While I would agree with you, still my goal is self publishing and rely on my own materials. I infact do have an inkjet. Wide format, and photo stylus quality, by Epson I think?
    I do love me wide format printers.
    if this would be better than a laser then I have one of two things covered.
    I need to learn where I can grab these papers.
    Assuming many here have gone to the store or ordered online an art book, they often have a smooth glossy surface, not terribly thick.

Members who have read this thread: 1