Brugal Logan
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Brugal Logan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Brugal Logan

Hey all, so in my class I've been tasked with finding a online art community to critique one of my own 2d art pieces of my choosing. So I find myself here at conceptart.org and hoping any of y'all could spare me some words of wisdom or tear my art apart, whichever you would find more fitting of my art.

So a bit about this 2d piece of mine. Well this is a sorta fan fic piece inspired by the amazing game, Brutal Legend released back in 2009. As I have a tendency to do, I always enjoy fitting my friends into the mythos of a game/movie/story/etc. For this friend I've tried to make him fit into the mythos of Brutal Legend as part of the game's Fire Baron gang. In Brutal Legend, the Fire Baron gang is basically a bunch of cool bikers, riding around on flame spewing harleys, and tossing molotovs at enemies on the battlefield. For a more in depth look at Fire Barons in Brutal Legend, here's a link to their page in the Brutal Legend wikia, http://brutallegend.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Baron.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like this drawing, has some nice potential. Although there's a lot I could critique with it, I'd stick to getting your line work/line weights up to scratch first. As it is now, they aren't doing you any favors, flattening forms. Be methodical and aim for volume. Check out PrometheusANJ's work in the 'exclusive sketchbook' forums. Very good stuff to study.

Quick 5min paintover for ya.

Attached Images Attached Images  

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't play computer games, but I'm a fan of Double Fine. Art direction in most of their games is just outstanding.

Your drawing is good. It's a bit too dark on the whole. You could consider using brighter colors in some places to make it look less like a silhouette.

To expand on what Rusty said on volume. How about doing a little experiment? It could further strengthen your drawing skills. Instead of just drawing your friend, try to design him as if he's a full three-dimensional thing. This may need some effort in thinking in terms of space and volume. Construct his body in rough, drawing only simple objects like boxes, tubes and balls. You can further refine this design by adding smaller and smaller details. Using this approach you can invent a representation of your friend that is not only a drawing, but can easily be modeled and animated in 3d software and put into actual game.

Here's a quick sketch to illustrate what I mean:

Name:  DSC07585b.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  99.8 KB

Last edited by LaCan; February 28th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaCan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, for 5 mins that sure is great! I see what you mean about the line weights. In your rendition, how some of the lines just pop, and the others are more a step back, but still reading just as well to help with the form.

I've tried searching for this 'PrometheusANJ' but nothing seems to come up for him/her. They do seem to mentioned quite a bit in the forums on other peoples posts, but cannot find a sketchbook started by them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neat LaCan! I remember doing something like this in one of my earlier classes, but nothing to this extreme. The 3d forming we used for our figures at the time were much more simplistic. This breakdown could be very useful as I'm also looking into improving my 3d modeling, but busy with learning programming atm.

I see what you mean about the darkness of the picture, it's not great to force people to have to squint for viewing parts of the piece. Shadows can be dark, but understandable not how I rendered it there. Good point for that one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...d-ideas/page26

Prom's sketchbook, must be logged in to view. Good stuff to study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah thanks Rusty, checked out the first few pages and that is some very nice work. I'm more of a fan of the art with that sketchy feel and his sketchbook definitely seems to have quite a bit of that.

Members who have read this thread: 1