W.I.P.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: W.I.P.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

W.I.P.

All critiques and advice welcome, still working on this one just taking a break for a bit so I thought I'd share.

more images of this guy down below:

W.I.P.

This is my 2nd attempt at using photos in my work to start off with, although by the end of it there is usually not much of the photo visible. I included the original image I started out with prior to painting, with a mirrored city blurred and the main shaped of the foreground buildings. Everything after that is paint.

original with photos visible

W.I.P.

painted layer

W.I.P.

Just a quick update before I go in to work (serving tables, so glamorous!) Lightened up the foreground characters to give more contrast, messing around with motion blur on the ships, although not sure I like it yet so still toying with it. Going to be adding way more lights and details on some of the foreground buildings and over all just mess with the composition more to lead the eye around using small lights and such.

W.I.P.

blog

Last edited by BMArchitect; March 14th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The image you posted is INCREDIBLY dark and murky. You need to punch up the brightness a LOT, and then calibrate the monitor on your computer so it's somewhere close to correct. Brightened JPEG below.

Once you've done that, the next thing I'd advise is to apply the rules of atmospheric perspective in a consistent fashion...basically, more distant objects are going to approach the color of the sky. Right now it's sort of arbitrary and the picture feels flat as a a result.

Name:  thing.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  207.5 KB

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Giacomo:

Thanks for the reply. I agree it's very dark and murky, probably need to adjust my monitor to more accurate settings, any recommendations on how to do this? I've never really messed around with monitor calibration so I'll look into it my self, thank you. As far as the atmospheric perspective it does need work and planing on adjusting it as I finish up more of the foreground, although this being an early environment ( I haven't done many) for me, more than likely would have over looked it being overly distracted on the foreground. Thanks again.

On a side note, before I went into work I also noticed that blurring some of the buildings in the background will help some of the perspective as well. Buildings like the tall green one look sorta alright in this post because of the jpeg quality, but in the psd it and a few other background buildings are way to sharp for their distance from the viewer. Planing on balancing that some with some of the buildings surrounding them.

For a quick update while on my break from the day job: Lightened it up after adjusting my monitor to the windows calibration. Thinking about getting a calibration tool, but did the built in one for the time being. I'm wanting to avoid washing out the image too much, so I went about half way on the brightness. I was originally trying for a night scene illuminated from the city below with a lot of pollution, although it was way too murky and hard to see anything at all. I'll be adding more light to the foreground and darkening the sky along with using a color layer to bring the buildings in the far back closer to the hue of the sky to produce more atmospheric perspective.

W.I.P.

Not sure if this is bright enough yet, but I'm not finished so feel free to let me know, it's a really easy fix. Thanks again!

Last edited by BMArchitect; February 28th, 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found something on calibration for anyone else who stumbles onto this thread and has any questions about it.

http://lifehacker.com/5882632/how-do...e-best-picture

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    real quick PO

Name:  dfcdsfdsfsdfs.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  205.4 KB

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the PO, is the direction I want to go once I have a chance to get in front of my comp tonight. I like continuing the figures and foreground objects on the balcony more over to give more of an entry point to the scene. As far as the ratio goes I was wanting to stick with more of a film ratio 2350x1000 as my only other environment in my port is a vertical one. Do you think I need to add more "stuff" in the over all image if I'm going for more of an urban sprawl? More unique buildings, areas ect? I had some more interesting building shapes planed eventually anyways as most of these are just big rectangles.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BMArchitect View Post
    Thanks for the PO, is the direction I want to go once I have a chance to get in front of my comp tonight. I like continuing the figures and foreground objects on the balcony more over to give more of an entry point to the scene. As far as the ratio goes I was wanting to stick with more of a film ratio 2350x1000 as my only other environment in my port is a vertical one. Do you think I need to add more "stuff" in the over all image if I'm going for more of an urban sprawl? More unique buildings, areas ect? I had some more interesting building shapes planed eventually anyways as most of these are just big rectangles.
    hiya sorry for the slow response, mad busy.

id say keep some things in mind; foreground, middleground background, check out Syd Meads stuff hes the master of this. try and seperate the layers using contrast and colour.

to get a particular look, in this case urban sprawl, get reference of urban sprawl. chicago at night, etc, and study it. how is detail distributed toward the horizon. what colours are in play. what does the street lighting do to the sky. etc. reference is your first port of call.
    i had another half hour and made even more of a mess of it, my bad!!
    Name:  dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdf.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  153.4 KB

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started learning Zbrush and after doing 2 head studies felt it was time to work on a full character. this is a w.i.p. so there's still some details and a few other things to add and refine before I start painting. I'm sure there's ton's to be fixed and work on in my models since this is the first full one I've done so feel free to critique and advise, I would appreciate any.

Grim Bao

W.I.P.

W.I.P.

W.I.P.

W.I.P.

Haven't had much of a chance to get back to this environment while learning Zbrush but worked on it a bit the other day. Here's some of the changes, although I'm looking forward to getting back to it and refining more of the city.

W.I.P.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I reached a point with this guy that I feel it's finished for the most part. As far as a first model there's a ton of stuff I like to work on further, tweak and change but due to my inexperience I think I hit the rook on the polygon count, and my computer sends me hate mail every time I load it up. Which brings me to my next point and short coming which is the pose I had planned for him. Trying to pose him late in the process made it near impossible to move him, as well as some of the subtools where so large in polys I couldn't even merge them together or use subtool master.

I'd love to hear any CC, I've got tons to learn and work on so anything I can learn from my mistakes on this would be very helpful. This thing is literally a polygon abomination as far as my construction went of him, and I have a lot to learn as far as putting details in the right places and managing my final count so I can take my projects further into other programs like Maya and 3DS. Thanks for looking!

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can use some tools to do a retopology, that will basically have the same shape as your model and then project the details on this "low definition" model. I don't know if your computer can handle that, but if you want move this guy into pose in maya or max you will need it.

by the way, I really like him, nice character design :-) My only complaint is about the red dead being that dark, it miss a little haiglight to make it pop out from all the brown arround. I think the front view miss a little some contrast, maybe let the skert or the face with a brighter value ?

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I was able to pose him a little bit this morning with out doing to much else to him. I tried to do a retopology of him but I also think my inexperience with Zbrush I messed up and tried to Decimate some of it WAY too early on which is making it harder for my system to handle anymore changes as far as that goes. Good eye on the red being too dark, I agree, I've been staring at it so long I didn't really notice it until you said something, THANK YOU! Here's what I was able to accomplish with transpose this morning.

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

[IMG]W.I.P.[/IMG]

BPR

W.I.P.

W.I.P.

W.I.P.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand your issue. I did the exact same mistake with the decimation master on a dog I'm currently working on ^^ I had to use the retopo to get back a lower resolution but this tool was able to keep enough details so I didn't loose anything.

I was wondering, this little king-head is it inspired by Chihiro ? I love the style it remind me some movies like that.

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! It's hard to say the exact inspiration. I had to look up Chihiro but I think I see what you're talking about with the one big headed old woman I saw, I like that stuff a lot. To be honest I think it grew out of the Heman character Manyfaces lol as well as some other cultural influences for the overall design. I liked the idea of these guys having faces that would spin and change within a full body of some sort depending on their mood or powers or something, but it eventually turned into this. I kind of like the idea of maybe the black swan is the actual demon that's controlling the character, like maybe he was a spiritual doll or something that was possessed by the swan. I got weird dreams.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.