CyberPunk character designs for 3 3d characters.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

These are some designs for 1 of the 3 characters I'm making in 3d. The theme is cyberpunk but I've been having tons of trouble with my concepting.
    These are for the first character I'm making in 3d. And older man of high position.
    Which is best or any thoughts on them?

The other two characters will be a woman and an android. I will be posting concepts for them as well.

From the left 1 - 2 -3
    From the left 4 - 5 - 6

This is the polycount thead with more stuff including older concepts.

Last edited by ZenzybaR; February 28th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!

I just consider the design itself in this comment.
    2 and 4 look most interesting in my opinion, because it's not a completely standart design. They have the most unique look, but there's still space for improvement I think.
    Try to take a look at the silhouettes of each character design.
    They almost look the same so I would play a bit more around to make them look more unique.

Valve offers a very nice free guide about their designs in Dota 2. It's not the genre you're looking for, but it still offers a lot of great insights where you might want to take a look at.
    Dota 2 Character Art Guide PDF

Keep posting some more designs you come up with!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by LaCan; July 14th, 2014 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff.
    I've decided to start posting my progress on this project here as well. It might be interesting to hear what people here have to say.

I also fixed the link in the first post, didn't realise I messed it up. Has other concepts.

Nemome: Thanks, looking at them 2 and 4 are the most interesting. I should have moved past the concepting stage for this like a week ago though. So I'm just going to have to make due.
    Seems someone else on PC like 4 as well. Maybe I really should go with pushing that one.

LaCan: I decided to use this pose because I found myself spending too much time running around doing craziness on paper. And the scans were terrible. I figured to save time I would just draw over my characters pose. Not the prettiest, but hopefully that can be looked past.

I did these but I'm all over the place.

Also what I have for my female character so far, still needs work.

CyberPunk character designs for 3 3d characters.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ZenzybaR; February 28th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Current Projects:

I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to look up for some reference considering CyberPunk if your visual library is limited (or at least that's what it looks like).
    You can push this design way more forward.
    Right now it doesn't look bad, but it's still missing an unique style that makes the concept outstanding from the others.

I'd love to see more concepts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, your female 3D sculpt has a couple of issues - the head looks quite large for an adult female body (I'm assuming she's a adult?) you can fix this by either shrinking the head or lengthening her torso and/or legs. I did a rough count and it looked like she 6 and a half to 7 heads tall which is a little on the short side. I think her shoulders could do with being a little broader too, I usually use the Loomis 'ideal proportions' as a guide - although I often stray a little bit to prevent my models from looking too samey or 'barbie doll' ish.

You should also make sure you understand the way the pectoral muscle attaches to the humorous to form the front wall of the armpit - I find Ryan Kingslien helpful for advise on sculpting anatomy, he has some free video tutorials available to watch here: http://cgeverything.co.uk/2011/08/22...yan-kingslien/

Hope this helps, and keep up the awesome work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Haven't updated in a while and unfortunately haven't gotten as much done as i'd have liked.

I have a couple more concepts though I'm a little meh. I've spend a little too much time doing, and redoing the females body. A little stupid considering it's not something that will be seen in the end. Will upload my female concepts another time.

Nemome:
    Hey, thanks for the concept pdf on your earlier post. It's pretty awesome. I'll defo be going back to it over time. Good stuff.
    I've got a lot of cyber Punk refs, a little too much I think lol. It's just the stupid NeoTribal aspect that's throwing me off. I'm going to play it straight Cyberpunk. But even then I still feel a little confused about it all.
    I'm going to spend tomorrow doing concepts. I'm having a lot of trouble concepting. I think it's because I usually go with form following function, but atm i'm too concerned with aesthetics only with no indication as to the whys. Just drawing with no goal :/

PMfish4brains:
    Thanks, yeah the proportions were crazy with the previous version. I've made some changes but I'll look at them against something in case since you feel they were that off.
    Not a fan of the Loomis' ideal female proportions personally. I've always found it a little creepy. Just so strange. No offence to any women with a figure like this. But the whole thing just screams wrong to me.

--------

I'm dreading the android, I was happy for a low profile android, who only had slight things that indicated his being, things like slightly glowing eyes and plate seams in the face and exposed limbs. He was going to be wearing Hi Tops.
    But someone I know expects ANDROID, wires and blades. I think it doesn't make sense, but I love subtlety myself.

My new aim is to get the concept for the girl done over Wednesday (like that will happen) and have her partially done by Thursday night for my presentation on Friday. After that I'll start with the android.

Also ignore the small hands. I relaxed the lowest subdivision in 3dsmax forgetting to exclude the hands making them shrink in size. I'll probably cut the hands off my male character and attach them onto the female.

Last edited by ZenzybaR; March 5th, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Current Projects:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick Update.
    Did the concepts I said I'd do. Came out better than I thought they would. Though they aren't exactly want I want. They're almost there. Just something a little more.
    I kind of had this image of a special type of agent who wore short robes but only one arm was long and flowing. This concealed their weapon or whatever. But Meh.

As usual from the left 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Also I want Tech boots. Like large mechanised cool ass shock lower leg things like this. Not exactly like this, but you get the idea.
    Also, side question. Do you think the image below is bad art? I personally like it, but a guy in class said it was bad art. I think it's preference, but i'd be interested in what anyone else had to say,

Last edited by ZenzybaR; March 6th, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Current Projects:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've updated the body of the female character.
    The first and major thing was the hands. They were shrunk in the process of changing the basemesh from my male character into a female. It was due to the relaxing.

Next I changed the face in small ways. The nose, jawline, and some other small things have been altered.
    I also changed the body overall.

With this character I've added a hood and I've been working on the face, though I'm not sure how to feel on how it's looking. His face is becoming more sinister, which I guess is a little interesting.

Current Projects:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kewl.
    So I've updated stuff but I can't at this very moment remember all the changes and progression so I'll just post what I do remember. Also these are all w.i.p. Things are still up for changing and nothing here is permanent.
    I've done some new concepts due to feeling that the ones I had were a little weak. The colour choices would be strange due to the weird jacket (probably,) and the hood was weird.

I just didn't like where it could be going so I decided to pull back and do some other designs. I think trying to push ideas I don't like is slowly my down more than getting an idea I do like.

I've heard that the Vest is a little hard to differentiate from the body. And instead make the body look weird. But I feel it's readable. I was going for something a little like the stuff batmans suit is made from, maybe not. I need to research the type of material it is.

I also did some jacket colour variations. Nothing concrete seeing as i'm still in the sculpting stage.
    I also prefer the head with the facial hair but when I tried it on the red jacket he looks like santa.
    Personally I like 1, 2, and 5. But i'll wait to here what people have to say if anything.
    From the left 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
    From the left 5 - 6 - 7 - 8

I also tried something new with the face. I started to feel I didn't like the way the characters faces were quite soft in the appearance. Both look a little more kind in face than I would like. But I think it might serve the old man better. The woman I'm still on the fence about.
    These were just playing around with seeing how I could make him look sinister, but he just looked more like a caricature of a sinister man.
    update, then two sinisters. Looking at my character, I guess he looks a little like Jim Carrey lol.

What I'm thinking about at the moment, and what caused my to make these changes, was a discussion I had about sexy and cool. Basically I was debating that a woman can be cool without being overtly sexy or at all, it's just about admiration or reverence or something like that. It's why guys can like men who are ugly but look badass. I think Kazuya is cool because he is a battle scarred fighter.
    The other person stating that unless women are seen as sexy, they won't be cool in peoples eyes, that their coolness is derived from being sexy. And I have to say I see where they are coming from though I don't want to agree.I guess most people do just look at the chicks and if the sexy qouta isn't met, but it could just be preference and they do the same for guys they think are uncool. I skip over tons of character designs that are boring to me.
    I'm a little weird though so maybe other guys are different from me. I think glory is cool, and she is not sexy. But I grew up fancying the girls with braces and glasses lol. Wabi Sabi and all that.

I guess it's a weird thing. Differentiating what's cool, and what's sexually appealing. I don't think the two are exclusive to each other but would I like kazuya if he was a hideous man.
    I like glory for the same reason I like Kazuya. Battle hardened and scarred warriors/fighters who are a little ruthless in their action.
    If you check out Glory make sure it's the Joe Keating and Ross Campbell run. Not the Rob "I don't know what I'm doing here" Liefeld. No offence to Liefeld, he has created some iconic characters, just some of his work is a little cringe worthy.
    I mention all this since it's interesting to me and makes me wonder how i'm making these characters.
    I don't think the old guy was looking cool in his weird robes. I want the characters to, on a quick glance look interesting. Anyway, take from this what you will. I'm just pontificating.

List of changes:
    Body more lean.
    Face changed to try and get a naturally worried/caring look.
    Vest and Belt added
    Concepts
    Quick Face Alterations
    Made eyeballs smaller
    Altered face

Last edited by ZenzybaR; March 14th, 2013 at 02:48 AM.
    Current Projects:

Members who have read this thread: 1