Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Nalz Badge.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  214.2 KB
    Self-critique: Well..... it's not bad perse but it's definitely poorly executed. Vague outline of character, blurred edges, the hand to the far left being clipped a bit by the border, and colors so faded the entire composition looks almost monochromatic. Not a very impressive piece but experimentation took place and that's something in itself. You should definitely experiment more often. Also the color on the rock formation is too saturated. That was a big hit. The background was also too complicated and it took away from the focal point in the end. Keep your backgrounds simple and perhaps even monochromatic.
    Composition: Design wise, it's flawed, simply put. No directional forces, focal point in the center, a WEAK focal point, the picture seems off balance as if it were going to tip to the right, and with your pigment choice and lack of repeting shapes the unity in this piece is shot. You didn't think and the work suffered. And applying a photofilter layer to try and save the piece is NOT going to work. Never do it again.
    Things to repeat in the next picture: I kind of like how you handled the reflected light in this piece. Though it's a bit sloppy clean it up next time.
    34/100
    What to do next time:
    -I want you to slow down, have a drink of water, and seriously think about your images before you give yourself an aneurism.
    -Look more into the "block-in" color method. Practice it more.
    -Learn to add individual character pigment so the image doesn't look blurry and ambiguous. (Pick a set of colors to work with from the start and stick with them. For your next piece keep things almost monochromatic with the smallest amount of variation you can. And keep going this until you have it down.)
    -You're still lacking in details, though you're tring at least. Start downloading some textures from CGtextures. On a needed basis of course.
    Name:  Quazy badge.jpg
Size:  197.6 KB
    Self-Critique: I can say without question that I've been happier since doing these expressions. Having the freedom to be loose is quite a refreshing experience. I'd imagine the happiness comes from how most artists have a natural sense of emotion and going along with that makes these much more fun to do. Normally I wouldn't include my emotional status in a picture but in this case, it's important to know I'm in a good mood when reviewing, so that people will take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.
    Now on to the critique: Unlike in your many other pictures, the expression here is lovely, intoxicating, and informative of the character. Not only the face but the body itself implies an almost reclusive nature and after researching the character to a certain extent that's exactly what I was going for. This was not a fluke and it's good to know for my next picture. It will allow me to act with confidence. The colors are still quite a bit washed out however and it doesn't meld with the style of form you chose to go with. If your character is going to be vibrant be sure to make the colors equally vibrant at least as far as the character goes. It's all about evoking an emotion. Perhaps a modified version of this style of drawing is what you need. But seeing how well your other modifications have gone another style of execution may be more helpful. A final note on color, this style is good for realistic pieces and landscape. The red however is very well used and executed and perfectly vibrant for the picture. Moving on to execution of the final material... mneeeh it's lackluster at best. Clearly visible brush repetitions like in the river and such are unacceptable. Having a background that's blurry and hardly thinking about how you do it are two different things. However deciding to leave a few of the lines in there was a very good choice. It gives the picture a stylized look and having done this with the whole picture gives it a sense of unity. The eye moves fairly well around the picture, but the balance is a bit off in the right side's favor but while it's not like it's unbalanced to the point were you might as well be leaning totally horizontally (see Nalz badge) you could definitely do better. Do something with the background next time. NOW, as far as texture brushes go, stay away from the with badges like this. It only serves to take away from the finally product since it's not realistic. Save texture for realistic pieces. If you do anything with texture focus on how the value on the shirt would differ from the value on the skin or something like that.
    73/100
    What should I do for the next piece:
    -More of this. Gaining experience in a certain style would definitely help more than skipping around all the time. The only thing you should change is what's mentioned above.
    -I feel you've found a good marriage of expressionism and detailed works. However keep working on expression. Do more expression sheets.
    -Focus more on final execution. Getting emotional in your work is fine but learn to refine it at the final point.
    -For these badges remain monochromatic in the background. Having an actual background is fine but leave it a variation of a single color.
    -The speed on this piece was acceptable but while you shouldn't focus on it in the next one, it's at least worth mentioning since deadline's are indeed a thing and your client will be happier with a speedier artist. However skill is and will always come first.
    Name:  Rath Badge.jpg
Size:  394.5 KB
    Self-critique: You can go ahead and give yourself a small pat on the back for this one. Be sure to give an even bigger thank you to those whose art helped you along. Otherwise this would not have been possible. That being said, the style is slightly discomforting. Lots of small details and that kind of thing doesn’t seem to be compatible with your style simply because the expressitivity (though that’s not a word) did not match the style of shadow. Also, you spent far too long on this. 3 days? Really? You’d be fired so fast by anyone who would be daring enough to hire you. You may be able to solve this by developing a style and looking into shadow shape as the primary means of shading. Also start to work strictly in digital. While it may be slower to sketch out in digital, it’ll serve well as practice and you can add details on the fly. Also your choice in color was…. questionable. The belly was far too vibrant and the highlights were far to bright which took away from the focal point which should have been the eyes but the eye winds up following the blue on the belly scales. Granted, the yellow you put in the eye to make the purple pop out was definitely a good idea the problem bearing is that no one can see it thanks to the overbearing brightness surrounding it. Another thing this piece was part of a duo, but it doesn’t seem that way. There’s a clear distinction between the left and right characters in both quality and application of color and light and it leaves the two, as a whole, inconsistent. That is the exact opposite of a duo. The two should complete each other however both would look better off on their own. Lastly, again final execution was a bit sloppy and considering you took 3 days to do this, that’s embarrassing. The hand supporting the head should have been more vivid in order to stress the already weakened focal point the outline is blotchy because you never took the time to make the outline more defined. Again, you wasted your potential on this picture, though it’s easy to say that you did to a much less degree than your last, so you may claim that improvement took place.
    64/100
    Experiments/ Improvement suggestions:
    -Use the multilayering method smarter. You could have easily used this to make the fur more captivating.
    -Research textures of what you’re drawing: If a character has a piece of metal on him, find a picture of metal to see how light would work with it. Same if the character has fur, or horns, or eyes. Look at the texture. Is it reflective? Is it rough? Then capture that in your images.
    -Develop a method for drawing to increase speed. (First do this, then do that, lastly do this)
    -Once you have your technique down, learn to stylize. Suffice it to say your artwork is currently boring to look at.
    -Next time you do a piece. Do them both at the same time to conserve consistency.
    -Use references for color until you can draw without your crutches.
    Name:  Tagg Badge.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  495.1 KB
    Self-Critique: Lazy. Sloppy. Poor execution. All would be words used to describe this image. What started out as a decent sketch with potential fell apart the moment you sacrificed quality for speed. This could have been a good picture but it wasn’t. You didn’t focus on the light source directionally, color wise etc etc. You managed a good idea however. The concept of a two part badge where the two characters therein are thinking of each other is a decent idea. The colors are…. Okay but you should have made them less vibrant and at a lighter value. That is something I would spread to the entire image. There is entirely too much dark value in this image and it throws off the captivity of there actually being a light source. To add to it there is an overuse of texture in this image. Ultimately that should only be used for the initial colored sketch. But I guess it looks pretty for what that’s worth but it’s a total fluke.
    43/100
    Experimented with/what to improve on for the next picture:
    -Textured brush- only used this in the sketch up for the colors until you learn how to use them appropriately in a finished picture
    -The color black- Adding small amounts of a certain pigment will give your black characters a bit of depth color wise. So do what you did with this picture. Make sure the color you use however is desaturated enough and inside the viable color scheme.
    -Using multiply layers to get down an initial color on shaded areas- this is good keep using this technique.
    -Learn to use many layers for making worry free marks on your images
    -Plan out the image more. You wound up cropping some of the name and that looks bad. It takes the eye off the page.
    -For the next image plan a more well designed background. Random brushes won’t do it anymore.
    -Restudy the ctrl+paint videos on color.
    -Pay closer attention to anatomy. Even if you make a mistak you should be able to fix it in the final product.
    -Take more time on your “final touches”
    Keep learning to push that expressionism. Learn to use the body for expressionism as well.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.