Clay Golem

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Clay Golem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Clay Golem

Hi guys! This is my first post on the forums, and would be great to know what you think about this piece.
    I tried to make a Clay Golem different from the usual. Instead of just a bunch of mud, I tried to put some interesting shapes to improve the creature's design, like the rock horns, the glowing gemstone eye and this ugly mouth, but still keeping the "shapeless" and the messy aspect of the pilled up clay.

Thanks!

Clay Golem

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are some pretty crisp edges for something made of dirt. They give it that copy-pasted look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What exactly did you make it with?
    I think it looks perfectly unnatural, which is in tune with the theme.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, got some problems...

A. Over-use and abuse of phototextures. I know that shit is hot right now, and all the best artists be throwin' down phototextures in their work, but it is clearly excessive in this case. It's obvious that you took one picture or more of a cliff-face or a cave or something, and then used the lasso tool to cut a portion of it out. Consequently...

B. Two-dimensionality. Your character possesses no volume. In the famous words of DJ Ruby Rhod, it's got to "POP POP POP!" And my man, you have no pop. You've even tried to throw some cast shadows on there, but they only contribute in making the character look even MORE planar. Put those phototextures in the trash bin on your desktop, or literally print them out and then throw them into a dumpster as a symbolic gesture of renewal, because they WILL hold you back as an artist. Only use phototextures once the proper form has been blocked in via value, and then use phototextures sparingly, if at all. Remember, you're painting/drawing/illustrating, not making a collage. We green?

C. Cross-reference your design with traditionally accepted lore concerning Golems. Is your design really a Golem, or is it a screaming mountain demon? You chose outright to eschew those characteristics (pile of mud, but shaped into a roughly humanoid form) which contribute most readily to identifying a Golem in particular. Imagine that someone were looking at this artwork of yours for the first time, and had no verbal description. Do you think they would identify it as a Golem, or a throwback to 1980's young adult cinema?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments!

The Fez - The entire purpose of this was to follow a tutorial from Digital Tutors, in which they make a bese mesh in Zbrush to get the base shape and the values (plus the shadows), then finish it in Photoshop using phototextures. It was the first time I tried this workflow, and I thought it was pretty fast for making creature concepts, although it still needs big improvements like you pointed. About the concept, I tried a different read of the usual clay golem, but yes, it got a bit away, especially with the humanoid form, but that was kinda what I was looking for, a different design, although I might have to change its name.

Thanks for the opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisMesquita View Post

The Fez - The entire purpose of this was to follow a tutorial from Digital Tutors, in which they make a bese mesh in Zbrush to get the base shape and the values (plus the shadows), then finish it in Photoshop using phototextures.
    That would have been a good thing to know. It would have changed the hue of my criticism. Just know, for the sake of your future posts, that if you go into a forum, then into a subforum dedicated entirely to critiques, and simply ask people "what they think" of "this thing I did", you will illicit exactly that: peoples' myriad thoughts. And who knows what you might get. If you provide people with more information beforehand, you'll get a more informed response.

Last edited by The Fez; February 28th, 2013 at 10:04 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Textures should be used as a spice not a main ingredient.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fez View Post
    That would have been a good thing to know. It would have changed the hue of my criticism. Just know, for the sake of your future posts, that if you go into a forum, then into a subforum dedicated entirely to critiques, and simply ask people "what they think" of "this thing I did", you will illicit exactly that: peoples' myriad thoughts. And who knows what you might get. If you provide people with more information beforehand, you'll get a more informed response.
    I probably should have informed that, but what I really wanted was a critique about the overall concept and execution, and that was what you gave me, and it was useful. I got exactly the critiques I wanted, so it is still valid. Anyway, gonna follow the advice from here on. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 1