New Artist..Want some Critics
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New Artist..Want some Critics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Artist..Want some Critics

Hello..I am a new artist from India. I have started sketching in December 2012. I like character and creature drawings, and usually do lots of sketching from references and anything I have in my head. As I am new, I do not have proper knowledge of sketching. I am just learning. I made some sketches and one of my recent sketches is here..It is a concept of the Dead Pirate..!!

I want some critics about it so that I can make it better next time..Please help me out..I really wanna improvise my sketchings

Name:  deadPirate.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  463.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like him! December 2012? youre doing great!

i suggest putting three copies on a sheet and drawing over the, doing different versions. to try out ideas. what does he look like with different boots? or a blunderbus in place of a sword. etc i find thats a really reliable way of making the most of my ideas..

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe size it down a bit: there's no need for a sketch to be this big.
    Also, I think you should definitely lose the clip art skulls you used for decoration; they're not making this piece better, and they're not professional or even tasteful.
    The hair is looking nice, but I don't see he same quality of line and detail in the rest of the image.
    I don't quie understand what the wing-likethings behind him are - at first I just thought they were part of his outfit blowing in the wind, but looking at the bottom hem of the coat I don't think that can be it. But they are not recognisable as wings, either.
    The bodily proportions lastly need work also - his hands and face are very small.
    Hope this helps. Stay motivated!

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahnem Mee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you have done here is a good start for your initial idea.

I think you have two routes: continue and finish, request critiques and learn from this image. Then after finishing and receiving the critique, request a paint over, then move on to your next piece.

Route two: Put this image to the side as your first sketch in the process of developing a pirate piece and make the next one.

Practice your anatomy, if you want to, I live stream 1 and 1/2 hour study sessions from the Andrew Loomis book "The Figure for all it's Worth" http://www.livestream.com/mciii

Practice proportions and get used to practicing them forever if you are pursuing a career in illustration.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike086 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would really like to thanks to all of you..The critics you gave me are excellent. In fact, you have promoted to do even better..!! Thanks a ton. I'll keep all your suggestions in mind. Btw..wings were last minute idea. So, it was not fully done. I just made an apparent of them. However, I am sketching and trying to paint it again as you said @Mike086. And I'll also try not to use any clip arts (This was last minute idea just to give it more impression, but it was bad ) and keep the size relatively small. Lastly, the proportions and anatomy are really big mess for me. However, I am working on them, and Andrew Loomis is helping me..! Really thanks a lot..

Last edited by blckwtrpark; February 25th, 2013 at 12:34 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.