How useful is Sheridan's Visual and Creative Arts course for getting a job??
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How useful is Sheridan's Visual and Creative Arts course for getting a job??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How useful is Sheridan's Visual and Creative Arts course for getting a job??

Hey guys! I'm a newbie here. I'm planning to apply to Sheridan's Visual and Creative arts course sometime next week. I am aspiring to become a Digital painter and get into concept art. Ive completed my degree in 3d animation here in India. I cannot afford and dont want to get into a 3-4 year art course. That is the reason I planned for VCA. My questions are:
    How useful is it in terms of refining art skills?
    If I choose to do that course and work hard on my portfolio, can I get a job easily in Canada?
    Is that course elaborate or vague?
    If not. Are there any Art schools in Ontario that are better?

I hope you can answer these questions because I really could use the guidance. Thanks for reading!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm thoughts on vca: being in the art fundies program, I can tell you that art fundies AND Visual and creative arts is a waste of time and money. For getting a job, it's a very slow process compared to their illustration or animation degree. You'll find better results enrolling on cheaper online courses like cgma and stuff.
    for 30 grand, you can buy a cintiq, and probably have like a 20 year subscription to cgma tutorials or stuff x_x'

Why it isn't worth it: They teach the absolute basics, in perspective and otherwise.
    The quality of work i've seen from vca is not too great.
    it's expensive for the type of stuff they teach you...

Also, I was given advice from 4th year illustration students here and one of them specifically said that the best path to become a concept artist at sheridan is animation rather than illustration or anything otherwise
    Animation is very intense here and just the first year will make you insanely good at drawing the figure and stuff :0
    You can do it on your own too if you have the dedication, with online tutorials etc if money is an issue

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Luk View Post
    Animation is very intense here and just the first year will make you insanely good at drawing the figure and stuff :0
    I have heard and seen impressive things about Sheridan, but I am afraid the above is a bit of an overstatement: you just don't become
    insanely good at drawing the figure in one year...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VCA is a three year program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoLight View Post
    Hey guys! I'm a newbie here. I'm planning to apply to Sheridan's Visual and Creative arts course sometime next week. I am aspiring to become a Digital painter and get into concept art. Ive completed my degree in 3d animation here in India. I cannot afford and dont want to get into a 3-4 year art course. That is the reason I planned for VCA. My questions are:
    How useful is it in terms of refining art skills?
    If I choose to do that course and work hard on my portfolio, can I get a job easily in Canada?
    Is that course elaborate or vague?
    If not. Are there any Art schools in Ontario that are better?

I hope you can answer these questions because I really could use the guidance. Thanks for reading!
    It's very doubtful that you could get a job just by graduating from VCA. It's probably for the best if you don't go into VCA.

Sheridan has a one year 3D Animation program. There's also a one year Game Program at Sheridan. You could check those out, but I'm not sure that even those can get you a job in the field. Art world doesn't guarantee anything.

Yes, it all depends on your portfolio, but the pace of these programs are very fast. My friend was in one of those and she always stayed in school to try and get most of her work done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you guys! I'm actually going for Humber now. Sheridan was design oriented. And Humber is more into Fine arts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Raymond! I felt the same way. I have almost completed my degree I just wanted to brush up my skills. thanks for the links, I'll check them out

Members who have read this thread: 1