I am tired of making excuses and I want help.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I am tired of making excuses and I want help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am tired of making excuses and I want help.

Name:  worse.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  152.4 KB

I want to get better. End of story. Help me. Please.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw more from life and not from photos. A person's foot is as long as their forearm, but in the photo it's not evident due to foreshortening. But since you haven't picked up on that the foreshortening on the drawing is non-existent and she has tiny feet.
    There are other factors that contribute to a photograph's 'flatness', which is why it's better for you to study from objects in front of you.

Get reference for the lighting as well.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Slothboy is entirely right. You need to feed lots of correct information into your visual "library" before correct information comes out.

Another thing that would help is copying somebody like Loomis or Bridgman. You don't have to make a career of it, just spend some time, a little time each day maybe, making the closest copies you can of their anatomy drawings. What they teach you is to find the body's forms -- pelvis, ribcage, skull -- and turn them convincingly in space. They teach you proportions and foreshortening. I found Bridgman especially good for visualization, but everybody finds a favorite artist to copy.

It's not bad, honestly. You just need more of the basics.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand that drawing from life is a HUGE one. I myself advocate this. I have a situation where I don't get many chances to draw from life.. but maybe I am looking at it wrong so help me out. Where do you go when you want to draw from life? I carry my sketch pad everywhere. If I have to wait I try to sketch the people around me. This doesn't happen often and its in short spurts when it does happen. If I am not getting many changes to draw from life what else can I do (Not avoid drawing from life, but trying to maximize time spent learning. I have Loomis's book "Figure drawing for all it's worth" and I have read it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get a big mirror! As for drawing from life, depends on where you usually go... I don't know - libraries, coffee shops, malls, cafeterias, crowded parks, sporting events, grandma's house. Whatever is around where you live. I sketch while my daughter has swimming lessons. Bored parents make good and fairly stationary subjects.

Also, depending on where you live, look for open figure drawing. The local community college and several other places close to where l live have open sessions where you just pay a few dollars for 3 hours of figure drawing. You just show up and draw.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aqualeot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by joyproject View Post
    I understand that drawing from life is a HUGE one. I myself advocate this. I have a situation where I don't get many chances to draw from life.. but maybe I am looking at it wrong so help me out. Where do you go when you want to draw from life? I carry my sketch pad everywhere. If I have to wait I try to sketch the people around me. This doesn't happen often and its in short spurts when it does happen. If I am not getting many changes to draw from life what else can I do (Not avoid drawing from life, but trying to maximize time spent learning. I have Loomis's book "Figure drawing for all it's worth" and I have read it.
    You don't need to only draw people from life. Drawing any 3D object or group of objects furthers your understanding of light, form, perspective and composition. If you don't get many chances to draw people from life, draw them when you can and the rest of the time draw everything else. You won't be wasting your time.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1