Before I spend twenty hours on this...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So, here's the deal. I am seriously considering a transition into another profession entirely, specifically game-creation on the art end of the spectrum
    (because interior design be boring, yall). This could mean a lot of things for me, such as general concept-art, or art-production (or even art direction
    if I'm really ambitious), but I also realize that from an artistic standpoint there are numerous weak-points I need to tackle. I need to focus on composition,
    color, lighting and well shit pretty much everything. Ultimately, I don't have enough work in my artistic portfolio that could be considered A. polished, and B.
    taken to an acceptable level of finish. I intend to remedy this, hopefully, within the next couple of years in my very, very limited spare time.

This is my first step:

Name:  The_Ambush.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  413.5 KB

Some dumb mistakes that I'm aware of:

1. I didn't generate any quick thumbnails before launching into the illustration proper.
    2. the perspective on either side of the composition does not match up (will rectify this).

What I'm trying communicate both thematically and conceptually is a clear understanding of mechanical design and dynamic action within the composition.
    From a conceptual perspective, it should be apparent that there are different "classes" of combatants within the frame, so each should ultimately be
    loosely distinct and identifiable in terms of combat role.

I'm looking for general guidance on whether or not there are issues with general construction that need to be taken into account before I proceed.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fez View Post

Some dumb mistakes that I'm aware of:

1. I didn't generate any quick thumbnails before launching into the illustration proper.
    Stop. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. You know that's a problem, fix it. All the other questions you are asking you can answer yourself if you approach the process properly.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so I worked out some thumbnails for alternative compositions, and I'm also in the process of
    developing some conceptual studies for the characters therein:

Name:  Ambush_Thumbnails.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  360.5 KB

I'm really feeling the one on the bottom left, and consider it the strongest of the 4. It's not quite what
    I had set out to do, but soldiers actually become more important within the composition. Bottom right is
    strong, too, but I think my silhouettes of the soldiers are a little ad-hoc and out of place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't understand why so many ppl make thumbnails like this. I'm hardly able to tell what's going on. You should block in values in order to make them read and to see if the light and composition will work. All of them have a certain complexity with their lights/values and finding solves for that is part of the planning too.

Last edited by Swamp Thing; February 25th, 2013 at 08:07 AM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swamp Thing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great. Now take each of those, and your original, and do variations on them. Pull back, come in, reverse angle, high shot, low shot, etc etc.
    All your thumbnails are pretty muddy, neither wholly line drawings nor value studies. Try for more simplification and clarity at the thumbs stage.
    Is there any particular reason you're using those dimensions/format? If not, try others.
    Remember if this
    What I'm trying communicate both thematically and conceptually is a clear understanding of mechanical design and dynamic action within the composition.
    From a conceptual perspective, it should be apparent that there are different "classes" of combatants within the frame, so each should ultimately be
    loosely distinct and identifiable in terms of combat role.
    is your concept, everything in the picture has to contribute towards it. On the other hand, because you're not doing this for anybody but yourself, it's perfectly fine to let the concept change and mutate, as long as you still have one.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ya know, I think I like your original concept best. I think because the large central figure gives it focus. And because everyone is shooting out from the center, meaning the poor bastards are completely surrounded.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might be dumb, but i don't see anything "wrong" with the first one, you said your problem was you didn't have any pieces fully rendered, I can't see why you shouldn't give that one a go, you can only just learn if it doesn't work for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.