Zombie metro
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Zombie metro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zombie metro

Hi folks!
    I've already spent an awfully (and ashaming) long time on this piece to get this... well...result.
    I'm particulary disppatointed by how soft it looks. I'm wondering if there is a flaw in my way of using brushes. Most of the time I use 50% opacity on an hard brush excepted when I blend and use around 10%. Always 100% flow. It's probably only a detail and bad results come from somewhere else. Advices, paintover, talent transfusions would be very welcome ;-)

Name:  Métro.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  120.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm lousy at environments, so no paintover from me, but it does strike me that it's an awfully tall, skinny vehicle.

I wouldn't necessarily single out your brushes, but I do think 50% opacity is pretty low. I use 70-80% as a regular working opacity.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about doing a little experiment. Paint another version of the same image from scratch, but use only a 100% opacity hard brush, restraining yourself from any blending. Try to avoid small fluctuations in your color and value. Flatten the similar adjacent colors into one color. It may take some detail and texture sacrifice.

This should completely eliminate the problematic softness. After you're done, compare the two images and try to note the strengths of each approach.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LaCan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i feel like the tunnel is way to big, most lines have 2 trains running trough but still there are thin walls and rails to separate them and stuff so the tunnels themselves are not that huge i would say they only have space for 1 guy at either side and that's pushing it a little

as far as painting advice goes i'm in no place to give any

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Stoat: agreed on the tall skinny problem. I'll fix that. Thanks for sharing your experience on opacity, I don't know why but high opacity freaks me out. All I see is big blocks of colors while I love speed painting and also love how somes artists like Craig Mullins who manage to make their pictures show more than there actually is. I'm missing something I think.

@Lacan: I'll try your advice. I don't like the actual result anyway and last time I did, re start from scratch helped me a lot.

@Sweatiest Degree: I did take a reference for the tunnel and respected the proportions, mine is actually narrower and lower than the original one. But I get what you mean, yes most of the time it's narrower.

@zephyri: Thanks for those amazing pictures, pretty impressive indeed! Any advice about mine though?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    id liek to paintover but im really busy today, but i did do some quick trains already which may be of some use...
    also those tunnel photos are amazing.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Velocity's images are probably the best kinda advice! The image you have with the one point perspective is quite boring. There's really only the train and the lack lustre tunnel - you could do with more elements to tell a story - the design of the subway cars will help, as will extra things in the tunnels - things like more lights or debris on the side- maybe adding pipes or wiring alongside the lights and making the lights some other colour than pure white would help. Also, you say it's a zombie metro, but there's nothing telling me that at the moment, unless you're planning on adding a lot more to it? Hard to crit or paintover at the moment, as as it stands it's quite basic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyri View Post
    Velocity's images are probably the best kinda advice! The image you have with the one point perspective is quite boring. There's really only the train and the lack lustre tunnel - you could do with more elements to tell a story - the design of the subway cars will help, as will extra things in the tunnels - things like more lights or debris on the side- maybe adding pipes or wiring alongside the lights and making the lights some other colour than pure white would help. Also, you say it's a zombie metro, but there's nothing telling me that at the moment, unless you're planning on adding a lot more to it? Hard to crit or paintover at the moment, as as it stands it's quite basic.
    Sure, you're right. Truth is that's a early stage of the image, the base. I plan to put a zombie (or several not decided yet) behind the metro glass while on the right empty path is walking a survivor with is backpack. I should have precised it before. This rise another question I've avoided so far: I fear that people believe the metro is stopped and not moving. But if I make it blurred by motion the zombie must be blurred too... Erf, I'm far being done with this one I think. :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StefRob View Post
    Sure, you're right. Truth is that's a early stage of the image, the base. I plan to put a zombie (or several not decided yet) behind the metro glass while on the right empty path is walking a survivor with is backpack. I should have precised it before. This rise another question I've avoided so far: I fear that people believe the metro is stopped and not moving. But if I make it blurred by motion the zombie must be blurred too... Erf, I'm far being done with this one I think. :-)
    Use a big brush and try blobbing stuff on a new layer. and carve it away again with the eraser. the bigger the brush, the faster you can try things out.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; February 23rd, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: goddamn dyslexia
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm digging up this thread I started which ended to a dead end due to my lack of knowledge and experience.
    BUT I had another idea on this theme with quite a different approach with a result I like. As usual any advice will be welcome.
    Name:  Metro085.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  116.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Last version. What do you think?

Name:  Metro085-002.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  122.3 KB