Sketchbook: xDrawnxtoxDeath's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

xDrawnxtoxDeath's Sketchbook

Last edited by xDrawnxtoxDeathx; February 25th, 2013 at 03:39 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  .facebook_-587704883.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  64.9 KBName:  .facebook_-1784301441.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  69.8 KBName:  .facebook_-958279694.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  41.5 KBHuman figures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hands and feet
    Name:  .facebook_-281404246.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  67.3 KBName:  .facebook_-986150494.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  66.1 KBj

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, decided to peek into your sketchbook and give you some critique. :3

Both your animals and your life drawings look quite stiff. You should work towards developing an understanding of gesture because that really helps loosen a drawing up. If you can go to a life drawing session, they should have some gesture at the beginning. Since you mentioned you have a lack of art classes though, you could get a friend (who doesn't have to be nude xD) and get them to do quick poses for you. 10 poses of 15 seconds, 10 poses of 30 seconds, 5 of 1 minutes, 5 of 2 minutes, etc. Just a suggestion for you. The main thing to keep in mind with gesture though, is that when you move from 15 seconds to longer poses like 2 minutes +, you should keep the same frame of mind when you begin and act as if the drawing is a 15 second one. Basically you want to get the pose down on the paper and convey what the subject is doing to anyone who sees it and get the models proportions correctly.

Your hands are decent but the one on the left seems to have too thin of a wrist in proportion to the hand. Also, some of the wrinkles on the hand don't seem to show an understanding of the muscles underneath like the way your feet do. I'd suggest you check out a few art books based solely for hands. Loomis is always a good go-to for studying anything. http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/An...0&%20Hands.pdf Here's a pdf if you want to look at it. Hands start on page 119 on the document.

You feet look really good though. I like them quite a lot.

I really hope that helps. c:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much I will definitely have a look... I do so much better when shading is involved. But they wanted the drawings loose and showing the structure underneath and not being my usual style it did feel rigid and forced when drawing them. To be honest I had never drawn realistic feet prior to this i surprised myself how well they came out too lol and I heard they liked feet in the personal art section so I threw it in there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea of the construction lines to simplify the image and then build it up from there. If you want to be an animator, you should study from animations. I would recommend Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Its in 3D yet very cartoony and fun. Sketch from those and it should help I think. Also to learn gestures, check out AztcFireflower here on CA. Her sketchbook is amazing! God bless you!!!

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some finished stuff.. I submitted as personal work Name:  my_favourite_portrait_by_drawnxtoxdeath-d5gx8ls.jpeg
Views: 331
Size:  463.3 KBName:  Added_A__Border_by_Lucia_Chan.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  53.1 KBName:  DSC_0344-1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  10.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks I will fefinitely take a look at their sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I got rejected from sheridan animation really low score... Anyone who can offer some insight or critiques would be great they really didn't like my figure and animal drawing and i don't know why

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You didn't ask them why? It would be a good idea to hear from them directly why -they- rejected your work. I can offer you critique, but it might not be the same pointers as to why these people turned you down

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am just going to be straight up and brutally honest about your portfolio, I am not trying to be mean and I am doing because I feel you need whether or not you may want it(tough love I guess lol?).

Overall your portfolio looks like you do not have enough pencil mileage and you did not take enough time to draw in general. Sheridan's score seems hash but it seems pretty accurate on how they graded yours. If you really want this bad and want to see yourself in an animation or arts career, the reality is that it is really competitive. You need to have the dedication to at least draw everyday some people who could handle go through intense practice of drawing 16 hours almost everyday. while 16 hours seems pretty intimidating, you don't really have to do that but get yourself in the habit of drawing something(not doodling) everyday. you will begin to learn something with each drawing you do and slowly it gets easier to do more drawings per day and will find it becomes hard not to draw. something that could get you to learn quite fast at your level is simply to sit down and do a daily dose of an hour of gestures from the pixelovely and mostly the really quick ones 30s-60s for example. Pick up books from Andrew Loomis, Bridgman's "complete guide to life drawing", The Vilppu Drawing Manual and michael hampton - "Figure Drawing Design & Invention". read through em carefully study the diagrams, copy em down then apply what you learnt by drawing from life then from imagination. Study the rules of perspective, do tons of still life relating what you know about perspective to it(study how cubic or box forms recede into space or how the ellipses change in space for cylindrical objects), draw boxes in perspective, and do form studies(draw a random form then draw the wrapping contours around the form studying the surface.). Good resources on the rules of perspective and how-tos is Scott Roberston "Basic Drawing" DVD as well as Norling - "Perspective Made Easy" book.

The video below is about general sketching and simple practices that will get you to be more comfortable and confident with your mark making in drawing. Try to do em whenever you can as while they maybe simple, they are just as essential and important. You can do em on any loose paper for example when you are waiting for a flight at the airport etc.

If you want specifics about the low score on certain parts of the portfolio I wouldn't mind digging through and mention some points.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Kamikazel33t already said it all for me. Take their advice to heart and don't feel too disappointed, anyone can become good at art with practise, and who knows if you practise enough you can still study animation some day. Luckily, the people on this forum are a friendly and helpful bunch. No matter how harsh the critique, it's almost always meant with helpful intent. So maybe post here in your sketchbook more often so the community can help you grow. Keep on drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks amphsix and kami... I appreciate the books to check out etc its hard to find good resources... I just don't have the time to really draw as much as I would like... That's why I need to be in school for it so I can do it full time and not have to work where I can't draw much.. Specificslly I'd like to know why they thought my figure drawing was sooo awful I have no formal training and really wish my town offered art classes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I am self-taught and have no formal training in this neither. I was even set-back with the issue of having no life drawing classes in the country as well. What I did was, take my sketchbook wherever I went and drew the people around me, It would be in the bus and various places. I also studied off books and I feel they are more then enough and the rest is just practice and drawing.

For the reason why they thought it was awful, was plainly it just shows lack of understanding in the drawing and the work seems like it was done by a person who recently started life drawing(no offence though it just shows that very little time was put in to practice). I would say they thought it was awful because it does show lack of understanding in practically every element(proportions, sense of spatial volume, line quality etc.). It would be quite mean to say everything went wrong because it didn't, it just means you have a lot to learn. Pretty much, once you get drawing and practicing for a while after a month or two you will back, and I can most definitely say you'll cringe and you'll see every single flaw in that drawing(which shows that you have improved). It just means you need to take the time to draw more, I understand that perhaps your job gets in the way so if you at least take the time to do just an hour of gestures a day I can most definitely say after some time you'll improve. If it is that your job seems to wear you out so much that you don't feel like drawing, I think I know this guy who faced the same problem and took a very short nap and was able to pick up the pencil and draw. Just try to collect some of the hours which you might consider "loose change" and those add up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took another look at my scorecard I guess the 1s were glaring I actually got 2s on everything but structure was all 1s and i had a 1 in line quality in life and 1 in perspective for animal.. So structure will be my main focus... I'm a character designer I draw outta my head and use pictures for resources when I'm not quite sure of the pose... I'm gonna tear down and start from scratch skeletal studies then go from there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, so I did critique after you posted it. kamikazel33t pretty much hit everything on the nail.

If you only have 10 minutes to read anything, I recommend this: http://www.brianlemay.com/Pages/anim...uirements.html
    This link pretty much saved me after last years rejection. It talks more about what the schools are looking for and also has examples of good/bad portfolios and WHY they're bad/good. Shouldn't take you too long to skim through it, but it's a good read if you want to understand why you got rejected.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much I was trying to find a good breakdown for each section...I found a blog from a graduate that was helpful but I guess not helpful enough lol I am reviewing this now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  objects1.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  137.6 KBName:  objects2.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  123.0 KBName:  character action.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  178.6 KBName:  character expression sheet 2.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  219.7 KB
    My object drawings..I wasn't happy with this but I got my best score on it...and some of my character stuff I drew eyes in after the fact but didn't scan that version

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  character rotation.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  178.5 KB
    Character rotation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post some of the sketches you do now , we want to see you start to progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a lot of the Sheridan graduates I work with went through the drawing fundamentals course before they were accepted into the animation program.
    This might be a good fit for you, as you need to work on your core fundamentals and bring your base skills up. About 30% of the people in my starting class had been to college or university for drawing before they enrolled in animation.
    I just don't have the time to really draw as much as I would like...
    This is where you have to make tough choices. any time spent reading/ tv / friends /internet /games /movies - or anything remotely fun is potential drawing time. If you commute, you can draw then. If you have a lunch break where you get to sit down -draw then. I carry a sketchbook with me 24-7, I draw at the pub, on the train, in line at the bank- anywhere I get the chance. In college I would spend 5 hours a week at the mall/ park / subway drawing from life.

animation is the type of job where you truly need to love it to succeed. Not just to get into school, but to graduate - if half the staring class finishes the course- it's considered a great year. My starting class in college was 40. Graduating class in year 4 was 8.

For figure drawing, spend some time studying perspective, proportion, gesture, and anatomy. Focus on lower arms and lower legs -- not just hands and feet. How they connect to the limbs is important.
    Study skulls - the characters on this page suggest you lean towards anime style cartoons (flat eyes, long limbs) - avoid those entirely until you get used to proper proportions and figures.
    When I was in college we didn't draw any cartoons until year 2.

If you really want to succeed you have to put the idea of being a "character designer" out of your head. Instead just think - I want to improve my drawing skills. When you can draw well, you can worry about where you want to go with it. Never avoid drawing things you don't enjoy. Draw cars, robots, environments, girly stuff, manly stuff - draw old people, animals, trees, industrial equipment.
    People who like to draw XYZ, won't survive as a designer. There are not enough narrow-focus jobs, and the ones that are really refined have AAA- designers filling those rolls. (usually some kind of robot or super hero.) normal humans don't get those jobs. Designers need to be versatile.

If you're applying for school again next year- put the requirements aside and ignore them for the next 6 months. Focus on pure fundamentals.

Name:  sketch3.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  139.9 KB
    happy sketching

Members who have read this thread: 1