Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: xDrawnxtoxDeath's Sketchbook

Thanks

xDrawnxtoxDeath's Sketchbook

Might as well post some sketches. I would welcome critiques. Most of these are part of my portfolio for my sheridan animation application.
    Name:  .facebook_-2115626997.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  58.2 KBName:  .facebook_-1141688616.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  77.9 KB
    Last edited by xDrawnxtoxDeathx; February 25th, 2013 at 03:39 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  .facebook_-587704883.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  64.9 KBName:  .facebook_-1784301441.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  69.8 KBName:  .facebook_-958279694.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  41.5 KBHuman figures

Thanks
    Hands and feet
    Name:  .facebook_-281404246.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  67.3 KBName:  .facebook_-986150494.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  66.1 KBj

Thanks
    Hey, decided to peek into your sketchbook and give you some critique. :3

Both your animals and your life drawings look quite stiff. You should work towards developing an understanding of gesture because that really helps loosen a drawing up. If you can go to a life drawing session, they should have some gesture at the beginning. Since you mentioned you have a lack of art classes though, you could get a friend (who doesn't have to be nude xD) and get them to do quick poses for you. 10 poses of 15 seconds, 10 poses of 30 seconds, 5 of 1 minutes, 5 of 2 minutes, etc. Just a suggestion for you. The main thing to keep in mind with gesture though, is that when you move from 15 seconds to longer poses like 2 minutes +, you should keep the same frame of mind when you begin and act as if the drawing is a 15 second one. Basically you want to get the pose down on the paper and convey what the subject is doing to anyone who sees it and get the models proportions correctly.

Your hands are decent but the one on the left seems to have too thin of a wrist in proportion to the hand. Also, some of the wrinkles on the hand don't seem to show an understanding of the muscles underneath like the way your feet do. I'd suggest you check out a few art books based solely for hands. Loomis is always a good go-to for studying anything. http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/An...0&%20Hands.pdf Here's a pdf if you want to look at it. Hands start on page 119 on the document.

You feet look really good though. I like them quite a lot.

I really hope that helps. c:

Thanks
    Thanks so much I will definitely have a look... I do so much better when shading is involved. But they wanted the drawings loose and showing the structure underneath and not being my usual style it did feel rigid and forced when drawing them. To be honest I had never drawn realistic feet prior to this i surprised myself how well they came out too lol and I heard they liked feet in the personal art section so I threw it in there.

Thanks
    I like the idea of the construction lines to simplify the image and then build it up from there. If you want to be an animator, you should study from animations. I would recommend Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Its in 3D yet very cartoony and fun. Sketch from those and it should help I think. Also to learn gestures, check out AztcFireflower here on CA. Her sketchbook is amazing! God bless you!!!
    GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Thanks
    Some finished stuff.. I submitted as personal work Name:  my_favourite_portrait_by_drawnxtoxdeath-d5gx8ls.jpeg
Views: 390
Size:  463.3 KBName:  Added_A__Border_by_Lucia_Chan.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  53.1 KBName:  DSC_0344-1.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  10.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanks I will fefinitely take a look at their sketchbook

Thanks

Thanks
    Well I got rejected from sheridan animation really low score... Anyone who can offer some insight or critiques would be great they really didn't like my figure and animal drawing and i don't know why

Thanks
    You didn't ask them why? It would be a good idea to hear from them directly why -they- rejected your work. I can offer you critique, but it might not be the same pointers as to why these people turned you down

Thanks
    I am just going to be straight up and brutally honest about your portfolio, I am not trying to be mean and I am doing because I feel you need whether or not you may want it(tough love I guess lol?).

Overall your portfolio looks like you do not have enough pencil mileage and you did not take enough time to draw in general. Sheridan's score seems hash but it seems pretty accurate on how they graded yours. If you really want this bad and want to see yourself in an animation or arts career, the reality is that it is really competitive. You need to have the dedication to at least draw everyday some people who could handle go through intense practice of drawing 16 hours almost everyday. while 16 hours seems pretty intimidating, you don't really have to do that but get yourself in the habit of drawing something(not doodling) everyday. you will begin to learn something with each drawing you do and slowly it gets easier to do more drawings per day and will find it becomes hard not to draw. something that could get you to learn quite fast at your level is simply to sit down and do a daily dose of an hour of gestures from the pixelovely and mostly the really quick ones 30s-60s for example. Pick up books from Andrew Loomis, Bridgman's "complete guide to life drawing", The Vilppu Drawing Manual and michael hampton - "Figure Drawing Design & Invention". read through em carefully study the diagrams, copy em down then apply what you learnt by drawing from life then from imagination. Study the rules of perspective, do tons of still life relating what you know about perspective to it(study how cubic or box forms recede into space or how the ellipses change in space for cylindrical objects), draw boxes in perspective, and do form studies(draw a random form then draw the wrapping contours around the form studying the surface.). Good resources on the rules of perspective and how-tos is Scott Roberston "Basic Drawing" DVD as well as Norling - "Perspective Made Easy" book.

The video below is about general sketching and simple practices that will get you to be more comfortable and confident with your mark making in drawing. Try to do em whenever you can as while they maybe simple, they are just as essential and important. You can do em on any loose paper for example when you are waiting for a flight at the airport etc.

If you want specifics about the low score on certain parts of the portfolio I wouldn't mind digging through and mention some points.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Well, Kamikazel33t already said it all for me. Take their advice to heart and don't feel too disappointed, anyone can become good at art with practise, and who knows if you practise enough you can still study animation some day. Luckily, the people on this forum are a friendly and helpful bunch. No matter how harsh the critique, it's almost always meant with helpful intent. So maybe post here in your sketchbook more often so the community can help you grow. Keep on drawing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast