Art: Jumping WIP

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Jumping WIP

Thanks

Jumping WIP

Jumper_Spline_Pass#1 from Tau Robinson on Vimeo.

This is just where I am at right now in the project. I'm need some critiques on this so I can begin polishing this up.

"Peace and joy is my honey." -me

MY SKETCHBOOK FOR LIFE

Aniko
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think a major problem is the anticipation. The character goes into a pose that screams anticipation to me, but it stays there very long and then jumps straight from there instead of having another moment of more extreme anticipation. Have him go into the anticipation fast (maybe with 1 very extreme pose before the direction change to give it some oomph, just one frame, like the equivalent of a smear in 2D) and snap out of it again very quickly, really make it strong, because jumping over a box like that takes a bit of effort. The landing also seems very light and there's little followthrough on the arms/head. Maybe have him take another step or sway a bit to catch the momentum of his landing. After the anticipation the torso seems so remain more or less in the same position throughout, that feels kind of stiff. Play around with that a bit more.

I've only been studying for a semester myself, so someone more experienced could probably be even more helpful, but this is what I think of it so far

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thats great advice, hes on point, the anticipation;
    try setting up a similar physical situation and jump the same height yourself and see how your body reacts to those heights times and weights. '

The arm swinging in the first part is good it shows a looseness the character is preparing to explode but then just goes stiff before the jump. You want to keep that flow that the arms have going in through the jump.

Thanks

MY SKETCHBOOK FOR LIFE

Aniko

Thanks

MY SKETCHBOOK FOR LIFE

Aniko

Thanks
    Its 10 times better, nice work,

it appears that the way he is in the air and landing would be more suited to a character already in the motion of running,

being stationary, the motion would seem more realistic if he didnt travel so far, maybe just jumping onto the block instead of over it landing on both feet rather than one at a time which indicates the character was already in a running cycle.

Thanks

MY SKETCHBOOK FOR LIFE

Aniko

Thanks
    really nice- main problem is- you have too many keyframes on his way to land= it makes him float in the air- try practicing bouncing balls- everything that is affected by gravity will act like a jumping ball.
    you need to spread apart the keyframes of the bottom of the jumping arc and bring it closer to the middle up (you can also delete some if it makes him hand in the air too much)

Thanks
    and also i think his hands should go up a little bit before he jumps- to give him the momentum to jump from their movement- try watching people jump- or record youself on video jumping over such obstacle- and measure the time it takes you. :]

Members who have read this thread: 1