The ConceptArt.Org Workshop Venue - Check it out! :)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,065 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The ConceptArt.Org Workshop Venue - Check it out! :)

Choosing the right venue is hugely important to having a great workshop. It is a patient task, and one that requires research, countless phone calls, emails and perseverance. With that said, I am excited to share the wonderful location in which we will be sharing knowledge, helping each and every one of you who attend, and giving the creative jolt we all need to grow and see the inspiration that can take us to the next level, take the next steps in our careers, and find others who are just like us. Much thanks to our coordinators Caitlin and Agent Red for their googling, emailing and assistance as I worked to get this done. It has all paid off. The show is going to be awesome.

The Venue is beautiful and perfect for our show. The Dates are May 31-June 3.

Venue Location: Coronet Theatre
    28 New Kent Road London SE1 6TJ

http://www.coronettheatre.co.uk/gallery/

Where to stay: The hotels threads will come next, so please do wait as we negotiate better deals than you can find on your own.

Tuition - (US Dollars) As in the past, this is a volunteer run event and tuition fees go to supporting the workshop and betterment of the international creative community.

The tuition payment can be made via paypal using paypal@conceptart.org as the contact email.

Tuition: $645 + includes full event, and party admission.
    At the door: $699 USD
    Refunds available until April 15 2013.

**You will receive a confirmation of payment from paypal, and your receipt for attending once you arrive at the show to pick up your badge/wristband. Your ID and payment confirmation will be needed at the door. This is all you need, so hang on to your paypal record that auto-generates upon payment. Any questions can be answered by emailing paypal@conceptart.org and we will respond in the order received. USE THE CHECKBOX FOR GOODS when you handle the paypal transaction please (per paypal's recommendation).

***Attendance is limited. All 15 prior workshops and events have sold out.

Without further adieu, here are some photos and the necessary details.

Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 16231
Size:  167.7 KBName:  1b.jpg
Views: 16228
Size:  139.1 KBName:  1c.jpg
Views: 16279
Size:  168.0 KBName:  1d.jpg
Views: 16212
Size:  200.7 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 16211
Size:  239.1 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 15853
Size:  197.2 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 15644
Size:  94.0 KBName:  insidecrowd6.jpg
Views: 15382
Size:  101.6 KBName:  insidecrowd7.jpg
Views: 15149
Size:  91.6 KBName:  insidecrowd8.jpg
Views: 14944
Size:  140.1 KBName:  insidecrowd9.jpg
Views: 14682
Size:  89.7 KBName:  insidecrowd10.jpg
Views: 14556
Size:  149.7 KBName:  insidecrowd13.jpg
Views: 14385
Size:  88.4 KBName:  insidecrowd14.jpg
Views: 14291
Size:  129.8 KBName:  insidecrowd15.jpg
Views: 14130
Size:  111.3 KBName:  insidecrowd18.jpg
Views: 14008
Size:  180.0 KBName:  insidecrowd5.jpg
Views: 13795
Size:  113.1 KBName:  insidecrowd4.jpg
Views: 13709
Size:  116.0 KBName:  6730143_orig.jpg
Views: 13712
Size:  155.2 KBName:  inside.jpg
Views: 15043
Size:  186.5 KBName:  insidecrowd2.jpg
Views: 13452
Size:  103.5 KBName:  insidecrowd3.jpg
Views: 13364
Size:  119.7 KBName:  last.jpg
Views: 13256
Size:  206.3 KB

History: The Coronet Theatre is a large live music and night-club venue with a 2,600 capacity located at 28 New Kent Road in Elephant and Castle, London. The historic venue has been operating as an entertainment venue for over 100 years and to this day has managed to retain all of its art deco features.

The site was first occupied by the Theatre Royal, built in 1872 and destroyed by fire only six years later. Renovations were initiated by Jethro Thomas Robinson after the fire, and completed by Frank Hatcham, to what became the Elephant and Castle Theatre in 1879, where a very young Charlie Chaplin performed. The Theater was converted to an ABC cinema in 1928, a 3,100 seat cinema designed by Frank Matcham with a revolving steam driven organ. During the World War II, when London was being destroyed by The Blitz, the building stood strong and was often used as a shelter.

In the 1950s, the cinema made headlines when the manager exhibited the Bill Haley & His Comets movie Rock Around the Clock and the youthful audience ran riot. In 1966, with the onset of twinning, the Elephant and Castle Cinema was acquired by ABC Cinemas and split into a complex of three cinemas and also a luxury lounge was introduced. The first film to be exhibited was Bonnie and Clyde in 1966.

In 2003, the Coronet underwent a 3 Million Pound renovation, and its art deco design was fully restored. The venuehas since hosted many popular live music artists including Justin Timberlake, Wolfmother, Blur, Oasis, Primal Scream, The Libertines, Macy Gray, LCD Soundsystem, Hot Chip, Grinderman, The Decemberists, Hundred Reasons, Kelis, Alicia Keys, Caribou, Paul Van Dyck, Tame Impala, Placebo, among many more live gigs and parties. The Coronet Theatre is synonymous of live music, and digital performance events, and the biggest club nights in the capital.

Name:  map.jpg
Views: 13099
Size:  222.0 KB

Getting to the show:

UNDERGROUND:
    In the heart of Elephant & Castle, The Coronet is 2 minutes away from the Elephant & Castle tube station and is a highly accessible venue in New Kent Road.

BUS: See bus line information here: http://www.coronettheatre.co.uk/contact/

CARS:
    Car Park – The London Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre offers limited secure parking from £3/hour and its open until 23:30 Mon-Sun.
    Parking Meters – There are plenty of car spaces to park around the area, and they’re free from 18:30 to 8:30am. Outside these hours a fee of £2.40/hour is charged.

CAB:
    Licensed Private Hire Operator
    Elephant Car Service
    109 Elephant Road, London, SE17 1LB
    Tel: 0207 703 0134
    Know what you getting into. All private hire vehicles, including minicabs, must be booked through a licensed private hire operator.

TRAIN:
    Elephant & Castle Station ( through First Thameslink )

Last edited by Jason Manley; February 23rd, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks really impressive, cant wait for it :-DDD
    Thanks again for sharing!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JanDegler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BIG. No smoke machines during the demos!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhilHolland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The smoke machine is for during my demo Phil. Rusty me...I shall be properly obscured

The mockups for all the screens and the venue layout for the show look absolutely awesome. I can't wait for everyone to see what is in store when they arrive, and I must admit, it is one hell of a good spot for the party too Four days of inspiration and truth are coming!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

thanoss Guest
    Good god man Elephant and castle one of the grimmest places of london. One of the worst crime ridden areas in all of london.

I mean the venue might be ok adn all, but has anyone actually been to elephant and castle, and parts of south london that are close by like peckham etc? Anyone that tells me this place is a safe area to even go to, is out of their bloody minds, or has never lived in london, and observed street muggings by the youths there, and other crime. I dont want to put a downer on this, but to me this is one of the worst places to go. Sorry not going to be politically correct or anything, but it is in my opinion.

Last edited by thanoss; February 22nd, 2013 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the point where as a non-Londoner it's very conveniant to have a girlfriend who lives 5 minutes from a train station which has 6 trains/hour to Elephant and Castle!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexjholt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thanoss View Post
    Good god man Elephant and castle one of the grimmest places of london. One of the worst crime ridden areas in all of london.

I mean the venue might be ok adn all, but has anyone actually been to elephant and castle, and parts of south london that are close by like peckham etc? Anyone that tells me this place is a safe area to even go to, is out of their bloody minds, or has never lived in london, and observed street muggings by the youths there, and other crime. I dont want to put a downer on this, but to me this is one of the worst places to go. Sorry not going to be politically correct or anything, but it is in my opinion.
    I've lived in London for ten years, there's nothing wrong with elephant and castle or Peckham for that matter

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightpunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Coronet is not far from The Cuming Museum in Southwark, just a walk and a skip away. Southwark was home to Austin Osman Spare, one of my personal favourite artists, and there is a small permanent exhibition of his work at The Cuming worth checking out, as the full exhibition about 18 months ago was championed by Alan Moore. Spare was asked by Hitler to paint his portrait essentially because he'd seen Spare's self portraits with a moustache similar to his own! Spare made a copy of his own self portrait and sent it to Hitler with the following words on it, one of the best insults ever: "Only from negations can I wholesomely conceive you. For I know of no courage sufficient to stomach your aspirations and ultimates. If you are superman, let me be for ever animal."

Worth watching to get an idea. I say this because this area is the old stomping ground of an artist who painted ordinary people in the pubs around Elephant and Castle, alongside the fantastical, and is not someone you'll see in The Tate or The National Gallery, but is just as important as far as London is concerned.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for clearing that up Lightpunk.

If it is good enough for these folks: Justin Timberlake, Wolfmother, Blur, Oasis, Primal Scream, The Libertines, Macy Gray, LCD Soundsystem, Hot Chip, Grinderman, The Decemberists, Hundred Reasons, Kelis, Alicia Keys, Caribou, Paul Van Dyck, Tame Impala, Placebo...then it is good enough for us. We researched over 100 venues, negotiated and emailed with more than 50, and this venue gives us the best options, best equipment, and most perfect setting for a life changing show. The area is home to both an art school and a big church...plus there will be 500 of us, so good luck to any mugger who wants to take on a crowd of artists with sharp pencils in their hands and the ability to sketch their perfect likeness from memory. So you are all aware, there is both security and a paramedic on site during the show in the case such is ever even needed (which to date, we have never needed any of the sort). This event is fully staffed. We are not left on our own to fend for ourselves. With that said, no matter where you go or live, do be careful always.

The Prague workshop, and the San Francisco workshops were also in tougher areas as that is where the best venues can often be found...as well as the arts and vibrant creative scenes. Look at LA for example, you don't find the great stuff in Beverly Hills, you find it in Hollywood, Venice, Long Beach...and the same goes for my home town of Austin (east side!). And London is not LA or NYC or Moscow, crime wise.

I will say this...when I lived in SF, I got violently mugged after safely walking through blocks of one of the worst neighborhoods in the city, only to find four muggers beating my ex and I on a street full of Mercedes and BMW's across from the posh restaurants full of suits. This show is going to be great, the venue is awesome, and we are lucky to have the opportunity to get together in a place that has every single thing we need including food, drinks, and all the tools required for a fabulous event.

See you there!

Last edited by Jason Manley; February 22nd, 2013 at 07:07 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

AvP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for this Aly. That is exactly why I want to come to London...soo much art greatness. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post
    The Coronet is not far from The Cuming Museum in Southwark, just a walk and a skip away. Southwark was home to Austin Osman Spare, one of my personal favourite artists, and there is a small permanent exhibition of his work at The Cuming worth checking out, as the full exhibition about 18 months ago was championed by Alan Moore. Spare was asked by Hitler to paint his portrait essentially because he'd seen Spare's self portraits with a moustache similar to his own! Spare made a copy of his own self portrait and sent it to Hitler with the following words on it, one of the best insults ever: "Only from negations can I wholesomely conceive you. For I know of no courage sufficient to stomach your aspirations and ultimates. If you are superman, let me be for ever animal."

Worth watching to get an idea. I say this because this area is the old stomping ground of an artist who painted ordinary people in the pubs around Elephant and Castle, alongside the fantastical, and is not someone you'll see in The Tate or The National Gallery, but is just as important as far as London is concerned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not too sure where the best place to ask is but I live in London and would like to attend but may be moving out of the country within the next couple months. If I purchase a ticket is there a refund policy and/or can it be used by someone else if I transfer it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for asking aefx. There is a refund policy up until April 15, and then tix are non-refundable. You can transfer them to another person for sure though, just let me know if you do so at jmanleyATconceptart.org Tuition payments are handled on paypal at paypal@conceptart.org

Thanks for the support and interest. We look forward to seeing you and hopefully you can make it! It is going to be a great show.

Jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    ...plus there will be 500 of us, so good luck to any mugger who wants to take on a crowd of artists with sharp pencils in their hands and the ability to sketch their perfect likeness from memory. ...
    Brilliant.

I look forward to seeing you guys there~ <-- so happy this still exists! /in-joke.

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 5,476 Times in 3,685 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've travelled through E&C late at night with no problems by myself. Missed last train and had to wait for a bus to get home. Like anywhere, you stick to the main roads where there are tons of people, It's a heck of a lot safer than fashionable Brixton. You seriously need to smell the wonderful aromas from the ethnic food stalls in the market. There's also a 10 pin bowling alley in the shopping centre. The Bakerloo line (the CA brown coloured one) is 4 stops away from Charing Cross and the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! this is gonna be goooooood!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know why people get annoyed about muggers and all this stuff.. It exist in all around the planet! If you are worried about that sort of things just do what you have been doing in all your life: Take care.. and enjoy this great opportunity! ...I am sure this is the less of the problems now

btw.. a random question.. Jason do you know if Android Jones are comming to the event too?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MRJunior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes and make sure you back up and insure your laptops in case any lightfingered ldners do pinch anything. data is worth a lot more than hardware.
    this is going to be a great few days, cant wiait to meet you all!

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Elephant and Castle shopping centre was a dump last time I was there (admittedly years ago - used to work not far away), but who's gonna hang around there. Get on the tube and whistle away elsewhere. Not the best part of London, but you can get mugged anywhere if you wander about looking clueless.

thanoss Guest
    Seriously this isn't about the actual bloody venue, this is about the area it is in. With all due respect Justin timberlake, rhianna et all would perform anywhere for money. To say muggings happen everywhere is correct, but to blindly talk about it dosnt happen in bloody southwark of all places is a joke. Where the hell do people think the bloody riots happened? The governments own crime statistics put the London borough of southwark and Elephant and castle near the top of all the london boroughs. To pass it of has saying well I travel to Brixton etc and nothing happens to me is a bloody joke and a disservice to what the borugh is actually like. This isnt just some tourist area that you might go to like Trafalgar square or Covent garden etc. This isnt a bloody tourist area fullstop, yes the venue might be some snazzy £3 million pound venue or whatever, that dosnt change the fact the area is a shite hole, and a reason why parts of the London riots were situated around these areas.

Last edited by thanoss; February 23rd, 2013 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Enough. We will not be living in fear of things that could happen anywhere in ANY big city, even in the most fancy and high brow areas (as I personally experienced in San Francisco). Many of the artists attending live in far more challenging places, I assure you. In fact, the crime in a one mile radius of Elephant and Castle is almost identical to that in a one mile radius of the Tate, which is average for London. For comparison, the area in a one mile radius around Buckingham Palace or even Big Ben, have over double the crime (each) of that within the same area of the Coronet Theatre.

We are going to a creative event in a great venue and will have hundreds of kind, generous, and decent people with us. Safety is important. The venue has a full security and medical staff, attendees will be staying in the same hotels and hostels (as always people tend to group up), and we must all be careful, even if we are just driving to the airport and passing stoplights and pedestrians in the cross walk. Common sense goes a long way.

For the benefit of those traveling I have print screened the following map from the London Police website which shows that the areas north of the river have higher rates. Do be careful out there, no matter where you are coming from or where you are going.

Thanoss, thanks for the information. As said, safety is important, even if one is simply getting out of a taxi at the airport. BE CAREFUL ALWAYS.

Jason Manley
    37 countries and over 100 major cities visited on three continents...mugged once...on a street full of BMW's, Mercedes, and fancy restaurants, right across the street from Massive Black in San Francisco. :/

Name:  crimemap.jpg
Views: 12216
Size:  845.3 KB

Last edited by Jason Manley; February 23rd, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thujon View Post

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muggings can happen anywhere.

The venue looks awesome, can't wait for the hotel threads

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:

thanoss Guest
    Ok I am not trying to scare monger anyone or stop them from going. This was just my point of view and nothing more. I will most likely be attending anyway, so just wanted to give my view. Will be awesome no matte what.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to thanoss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of the reasons I am happy the locals are coming. We will be able to find the great food, the great art, and the safe passages far more easily.

More updates to come!

JM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason for your help in answering my questions, much appreciated.

On the topic of crime, having lived in South London, I will say Elephant and Castle is more than safe enough in the day time. In the night time it would be wise to use the same street wise sense you would use in any other major city. Don't go wandering around alone, looking like a tourist with a big map out, and stick to the major roads. In London the nice areas and the poor areas are quite mixed so you need to keep the same level of awareness no matter where you are at night.

One thing about Elephant and Castle though is that it has great transportation links(two good tube lines, a train station, and a major hub for busses). I advise any visitors to look at the london transportation website(London has one of the most in depth public transportation systems in the world) and you can quite easily stay in another part of London if you desire and take the tube or the bus to the workshop venue. http://tfl.gov.uk

I think the bad rep south London has is pretty much historical...

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aefx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are very welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason that map you've posted with an area glowing in red - that's where the queen lives

Don't believe the hype, London is safe throughout !

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Vatsel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHAHA! Awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.