Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Put a mean grin on his face with some white teeth and it's nice I like the russian thing going on though. Perhaps add a border or so that is silhouetted in black with a russian theme. At the bottom there could be the outline of the characteristic church roofs in Moscow.

Last edited by PelleTM; July 16th, 2004 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, teeth would be good. Lots and lots and lots and lots of really sharp needle like teeth.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's not very commanding lettering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the minimalist aproach, its pretty cool...Just one question, Did you draw this in flash?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *cracks his knuckles and clears his throat*
    Uh-oh... the commie found your work, you're in for an earful now! :cool:

Allright... as for the churches mentioned in another post... the one most people have seen is St. Basil's cathedral. And I don't recall what city that is in... perhaps St. Petersburg. The Kremlin also has very similar architecture. Or, for something more elogant... the architecture of the famous Pioneer Palace (basically the communist Boy-Scout H.Q.) in Kiev, Ukraine is absolutely exsquisite.

One question and then I'll get moving on commentary: Have you been spending too much time looking at the work of GIANT? :question:

Allright then. Miminalist peices are a little off my radar, but the style is nice... he would benefit immensely from a toothy grin tho that I agree with. If you're not content with a plain background... a yellow or maybe ochre jumble of cyrillics in the background, with low contrast... might russify it even more.

The text doesn't convey power whatsoever unfortunately... it's more elogant and suggestive of dexterity or articulate nature. To make the more potent OBEY style stuff... use a blocky, squarish, and bold text style... but that is likely not your intent judging by this peice. Wordpad back in windows 98 I think had the perfect font for that, it was called stencil... come to think of it win98 also had Secret-Service-Typewriter... which was also lost to time... I REALLY hate microsoft! :machinegu [BILL GATES]

Erm, but back on topic: Overall, give the goon a grin, make the bottom feel less empty (maybe even some simple border work might bring a balance to it) and it will be better than it is now (which is not bad... the style is all nice).

On second thought... if you messed with the bottom it might unbalance everything making you have to do the top too. If this was a poster, it would very likely have something on the top and bottom anyhow... and a bit more texture to the background. If you made it a little more commie and a little more finished... I'd actually buy it as a poster, really I would. :nod:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the crits, weird to see unnusual work from me getting more crits then regular stuff (dont know if i should be happy about this but whatever)

pelle tm / oregano: my intent was to get the focus on his fore head where obay is, i think putting white teeth down their would kinda distract form that, and doesnt work well with the style, but I WILL try it just to show you, and maybe even surprise myself!

ellwell: I tried some different style fonts but i still thought this works out best, and ill explai now; the whole design is kinda organic and round, so is this font, and when i think of a king like this (now its gonna get deep) I see one who sits at his super long table eating flesh of the bones, and when he finishes he sits at his desk pics up his white feather dips it in the ink and writes how to supress his slavelike people > handwriting, so thats why i chose this font it is kinda loose but you can still see what it says, unlike some other loos handwriting like fonts.

phlem117: Thanks!, it was a simple a4 sketch with edding (cheap black marker I use for big surfaces) and pencil, then painted over in photoshop.

CCCP-DeLux: first off: thanks for taking the time to give me such a big reply. I think i remember who GIANT is, the guy who makes those poster like design with the grunged feel right? (correct me if im wrong) but i wasnt inspired by him, alltough i could be because his work is great.
    I dont know why this is thrown in the communist corner because that wasnt really my goal, actually i was going fore something purely estethic (spelled it right?), with kind of a backstory for this evil king bastard. The "obay" was added for more depth and to spice it up.
    Maybe it's the red that makes you think it was an commie style thing i can see why you think that. Like i said earlier i will give this guy a grin of some kind, or just somethinng to break up that big black hole, and after that maybe do something with the border.

Thanks again for the crits, i really appreciate them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha now i see it, www.obaygiant.com !!

this is really a coinsidence :// i kinda look like an ass now

for the record the stencil font can still be downloaded from, uuuh dafont.com.
    This font was allso used by army's to quickly write on supply boxes and everything that needed writing on it, they used how weird "stencils" made from metal the font is now used allot by graffiti stencillers, for info: www.stencilrevolution.com

if you allready know all this shit, consider this not written

Last edited by sjoerd; July 17th, 2004 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah.. no communism? Darn. I guess I'm still stuck on that GIANT poster with Stalin in it... that and the character there looks like a russkie lol.

Awright... well, background led me to think communism too, it's all crimsoney, and the guy is yellow (well, I guess it's a bit more ochre than yellow)... yellow+red = provocative of communism.

W/e ... stylish, but it just feels empty in some places; I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Oh and here, have a free subscription to Dynamic ... it's a communist newsletter! :p

EDIT: Wow! Thx for telling me about dafont.com ! It's SOOO cool! For someone who produces items like mine... a variety of fonts is VERY useful!

I even picked up a couple fonts for my propaganda! NICE!

Last edited by CCCP-DeLux; July 17th, 2004 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty cool! Almost reminds me of ICP

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    just for the sake of it, its sheppard fairey who does the obey stuff. GIANT the graffiti writer is a completely different guy named mike, who is an incredible illustrator in his own right. alot of people think that sheppard's work is mike's...and as for the piece, how can you say that wasn't inspired by sheppard's stuff? its so obvious...but like the other posters said, i think it could benefit from some typ of tooth treatment, as the black area is just too big...also the warping on the font isnt really working as far as lending flow to the piece, which is what a well placed font can achieve. keep it up.-c36

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...and as for the piece, how can you say that wasn't inspired by sheppard's stuff? its so obvious...

Hehe, believe me or not but I wasn't directly inspired by "sheppard" for this piece. But like I said again, I could have been because i am femiliar with his work and i once once looong ago made an inspired piece but im not gonna show it here .

Actually this one was far more inspired by arwar

http://www.jenecio.com/Gallery.html > sketchbook > black&white one
    (forgot to mention him earlier, sorry for that)

I'll be gone for a few days, but after that im sure as hell gonna work on the font and the big black hole, I wouldn't dare to let you all down

Cheers bbye goodnight

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.