Edgar Payne Books?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Edgar Payne Books?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Edgar Payne Books?

So I love Edgar Payne's work a LOT. And I have heard nothing but amazing things about his book Composition of Outdoor Painting. The thing is, I usually order books from amazon.ca but they only have used copies and it runs $100+. Not gonna drop that much cash on a single book at the moment.

I have come across a couple other sites that sell it, but it always is about $50 (not even including the shipping to Canada, which I imagine is kinda pricey)...which seems ludicrously expensive for a tiny book that doesn't even have half of it's images in colour. The sites I've come across are the following:
    http://www.derusfinearts.com/books.asp
    http://irvinemuseum.pinnaclecart.com...ed-in-1941-hb/

Anyone know of any other way I might get it cheaper? Is this book really worth the amount it would cost me?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has his Scenic Journey book, or some of the ones available from the two sites I linked regarding American/Californian Impressionists. If so, what do you think of them? There are a lot of books there that look like they potentially have some brilliant art, but I am hesitant to blindly spend money on them.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Out of print books are always going to be hard to find cheap. Have you tried AbeBooks?... http://www.abebooks.com/

I've found some pretty good used book bargains there before. Although they come and go, so if they don't have any good deals on the book you want right now, you might have to keep checking back periodically.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Out of print books are always going to be hard to find cheap. Have you tried AbeBooks?... http://www.abebooks.com/

I've found some pretty good used book bargains there before. Although they come and go, so if they don't have any good deals on the book you want right now, you might have to keep checking back periodically.
    Thanks! Never heard of that site before. Unfortunately even the cheapest one on there was a good 60$ once you factor in shipping to Canada. Not sure I'm ready to spend that on a tiny book...I'll have to think it over a bit. Also unfortunate was that the handful of other out of print books that I know I want (at least off the top of my head) weren't available on there at all.

I did however see the Edgar Payne: The Scenic Journey on there for a mere $36 (that's including shipping cost!). Since that is like half of the price I've been seeing elsewhere for that book before the shipping, and since the reviews on amazon.com for it are raving about the book so much, I caved in an impulse bought it!

So thanks again, I hopefully will be the happy owner of a new art book I definitely have an art book addiction...I need to reorganize my bookshelf because the shelves I set aside for art books is not enough and I now have art books lying in piles on my desk and all over my floor haha!

EDIT: Thought I'd add in the link here in case anyone else is interested in buying it
    http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...Dedgar%2Bpayne

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Composition of Outdoor Painting" isn't out of print, but it is generally only available through DeRus Fine Arts - at about the $50 price. It is pretty much considered one of those "must haves" or at least must reads by most outdoor painters - the ones I like and have studied with at least. "Scenic Journey" is the giant catalog book that accompanies the current traveling exhibit - definitely worth a day's travel to see in person if you like Payne.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    "Composition of Outdoor Painting" isn't out of print, but it is generally only available through DeRus Fine Arts - at about the $50 price. It is pretty much considered one of those "must haves" or at least must reads by most outdoor painters - the ones I like and have studied with at least. "Scenic Journey" is the giant catalog book that accompanies the current traveling exhibit - definitely worth a day's travel to see in person if you like Payne.
    So it's worth spending 50$ plus shipping for it? To be honest I don't do a lot of outdoor painting...I go a few times in the summer and not at all in the winter (it's cold out in Canada!). I assumed that the book would have information though that would be useful for landscape painting/composition in general. How much of it applies to studio painting vs plein air?

And it would be a bit out of my way to see the exhibit on Payne...about 2000 kilometers out of my way haha. Would love to see it though! The exhibit book will have to do I guess. Shame the shipping on it is so slow, I'm not supposed to have it arrive for about another month

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    IDK - hard to say if it's worth it. Can you get it through a library loan situation? The book is very poorly organized with example illustrations far from descriptive text. It also includes a bunch of crappy paintings by his wife/daughter Elsie Payne? (I forget which). I'm just saying it is a book all the top guys I know of are familiar with and refer to on occasion. But there are other books on outdoor painting that would provide more bang for the buck - "Carlosn't Guide to Landscape Painting" for instance - any Carl Rungius book (though not technique oriented) - "Alla Prima" by Schmid, etc.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.