Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Back to the Basics: An FAQ regarding the foundations of creating art

Thanks
    Q1. What is observation?

Q2. I only have photo/books as my anatomy study reference(no model/life drawing class). So can I still draw like Frank Franzetta soon?

Q3. What is the point of study primary, secondary, tertiary colors or HUE? I've done the colorwheel in my class, so what now? I still have no idea how to make a painting.

Q4. I see most of the artists use fictional color mode for their painting. Then what is the point of study/paint from real life? Even sometimes the color of the real life painting is not actually what we see from the real.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Good questions

Quote Originally Posted by ZunPin View Post
    Q1. What is observation?

Q2. I only have photo/books as my anatomy study reference(no model/life drawing class). So can I still draw like Frank Franzetta soon?

Q3. What is the point of study primary, secondary, tertiary colors or HUE? I've done the colorwheel in my class, so what now? I still have no idea how to make a painting.

Q4. I see most of the artists use fictional color mode for their painting. Then what is the point of study/paint from real life? Even sometimes the color of the real life painting is not actually what we see from the real.

Observation for the artist means the study of forms from the natural world, interrelationship and movements of forms, and the definition of forms by light.

If you are a student of the natural world around you, you will find many examples from life that you can use to study anatomy. You can observe the figures and attitudes of persons around you, on the bus, in restaurants, parks, etc. You should also invest in a cheap, sturdy digital camera, so that you can take your own reference photos. If you are able, you should ask friends to take poses for you, even in whatever costumes you can scrounge up.

Frank Frazetta would tell you that the last thing he wanted any artist to do was to paint like him. He wanted artists to be dynamic, and shine on their own merits, out of their own style. Frazetta refused multiple offers to teach, and usually for this reason. He would want you to be bigger and better than he was, and do some great stuff.

If you really think that you have the color wheel down, and that you can recognize a specific color and mix it in any media, then you should move on to color chords and color harmonies. This will help decide which colors to use, and how to add drama and appeal through the complex interplay of different colors. For a character based application I would study the concepts and theories behind Max Luscher's color test methods, and the psychological aspects of color perception. Color and Light have so many wide applications and influences in concept and narrative art that you could enjoy learning new things about it your whole life.

The real payoff for the artist in using observation and for being a student of the natural world, is that you learn the structure that governs the illustrative use of color. Fantasy color stems from an understanding of both people's wish fulfillment AND a recognizable world in which those fantasies exist. If there's nothing for your audience to relate to, it diminishes the impact of the elements you want to be the most fantastic. You can't break really break the rules if you aren't aware of them.
    Last edited by Brion Frantz; July 27th, 2010 at 05:17 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brion Frantz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow this is an incredible thread. It's greatly useful and very motivational. Thank you!

I watched a biographical video about Leonardo Da Vinci the other day, and I must say that I'm greatly inspired by his code of honor that he kept firmly throughout his life. I think we can all learn from one of the greatest masters in history. No matter what kind of setbacks he had (yes he encountered many many despite being the genius that he was, or maybe because he was probably way ahead of his time), he stuck to that code of honor.

#1. He was always curious about EVERYTHING. He was more of a scientist than an artist. I think that's one of the most important thing about being an artist, to constantly question.
    #2. Push beyond the expected. Leonardo was born in a time where there wasn't any technology, but that didn't deter him from inventing tanks, flying devices etc. He was constantly outdoing himself and everyone.
    #3. Knowing is not enough, we must act on it.
    #4. Write everything, draw everything. Leonardo wrote everything down, from his ideas to his grocery list. He drew everything too, even people being executed!

Thanks
    *falls down* oh look what I found here

Thanks
    I hope people don't mind me posting this:

This is more relevant to people who want to draw manga, manga isn't just pretty pictures, manga is also a form of story telling. Many aspiring manga-ka fall into the trap of drawing pretty pictures without having an actual story to go with it (don't get me started on pointless filler arcs).

This thread is pretty awesome by the way, I sure learned a lot from reading this.
    I am a ...no really, did you see me do that?

Sketchbook

deviantArt

Thanks
    im a newbie,and this thread is extremly helpful for me, thanks!

Thanks
    ...Perfection =/= Precision
    ...Beauty is truth, truth beauty. -Keats
    ...Art is the expression of the invisible by means of the visible. -Fromentin

Thanks
    I have a great art of mastering anything in a short amount of time. But sitting down to practice drawing seems impossible. Once, I practiced figures consistently for 7 hours and the next morning I was surprised at my own hard work. But after that I got too happy, and didnt practice. And in the next week when I sat down to draw a woman, everything was gone...POOF...Can somebody point me in the right direction? I'm angry at myself...
    Cheer Up! World's a big place...

Thanks

This is exactly the right direction♠

Quote Originally Posted by Richi View Post
    I have a great art of mastering anything in a short amount of time. But sitting down to practice drawing seems impossible. Once, I practiced figures consistently for 7 hours and the next morning I was surprised at my own hard work. But after that I got too happy, and didnt practice. And in the next week when I sat down to draw a woman, everything was gone...POOF...Can somebody point me in the right direction? I'm angry at myself...

That IS the right direction.

It is very much like studying how to create music, or how to use martial arts. One day of practice will not make you accomplished. Only consistent goal setting, practice and observation will help you reach the place you want.

The bad news is, there are no shortcuts that ultimately won't leave you unfulfilled.

The good new is, the more often you draw, and the more regularly you draw, (with a sense of observation and direction) the more you will retain, and the more you will enjoy it.

Soon you will have to start finding techniques and subjects to practice that are more specific. I recommend studying anatomy and the human form from the beginning of your career, and never stopping. In order to draw people, you will have to learn all kinds of things useful to the craft of picture making in general.

(if someone has the real reference out there, I'd love to see the original), but I believe it was Picasso who said: "The satisfied artist is doomed"

Even though it's difficult, keep it up. You ARE going in the right direction.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brion Frantz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A beginner here as well, but something important that I've learned this week: Don't just practice a lot, practice efficiently. I used to think, 'the more I draw the better I will get' and so I did still lifes, photo copies, random projects that I thought of.. but I didn't improve nearly as fast as when I took a step back and analyzed what I was doing. Why am I doing still life? why am I doing these things? What do I aim to learn from this? Instead of merely drawing a lot - drawing from imagination, or from still life - don't just draw a lot, identify your weaknesses and analyze why you suck at something. Hopefully reading this will save someone some time.
    Of course, any drawing is better than no drawing at all .. random doodles and still lifes are great when you're feeling demotivated, stressed, depressed, blocked etc
    Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, im new to this site, or at least i had an account but was so lazy in trying to figure out or as the thread said before do my own research so i could find what im looking for in this site. Iv realised that alot of the subjects mentioned here were issues that i face and things that i do that are so wrong. This "thread" (at least that's what i think this is called) is very helpful because it makes you see the reality in what should be done and how we go about doing it in so many wrong ways. Id love to just say thank you. Whoever you or they are. Thank you so much.

Thanks
    Learning is like keeping the motor running.
    If you don't practice, you will stop covering distances so once you stop, you better make another start. You may be dull, but once you accelerated the motor, you will be picking up from past distances and your past experiences will start to make sense. You're just setting off from where you left off.

So don't fret if you "ran out of practice" because you got swerved to some other direction. You have to learn to love the process of becoming, even the bad times.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wakakin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Imp Head View Post
    6. Take little bites...

Art is a complex, multilayered, and dynamic beast. It's impossible to jump right in as a beginner and be good at everything. Instead try to become proficient at one aspect before you move on to the next.

For instance, learn how to represent form with tone (black and white, sepia, etc.) before you do the same thing with color. By trying to learn everything at once you're just setting yourself up to fail, or at the very least many, many, nights of frustration.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the knowlege that you gain studying one aspect of art is most often applicable towards other aspects of art. The more knowledge you gain, the quicker you'll be able to gain new knowlege, making the learning process a compounding event.

Becoming a pro might seem like a long and insurmountable journey when you first start out, but by breaking the process down and taking it one step at a time, it turns that insurmountable task into a long string of tiny, readily attainable goals.

i am a begginer and when i read this thread i realise im doing it wrong and just want to learn everything at the same time... so i will start from the head and move to torso etc... thanks to you all

19. The Following User Says Thank You to johnny24 For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast