Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Back to the Basics: An FAQ regarding the foundations of creating art

Thanks
    Don't ever do the bare minimum. Take pride in your work because it is a reflection on both you as an artist and a person. If you ever find yourself working on something you're less than enthusiastic about then it has become time to readjust your thinking. Every chance you get to produce art is just one step closer to you furthering your skill and moving on to a level of skill you had never concieved of. As painful as some projects may be they are still training and a great artist never stops training, ever.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nexus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't listen to what other people say.
    Including me.
    You will only get better by doing it.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grantrl78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusDinkus
    Also as Pablo Picasso said, and its true to this day, Good artists borrow, great artists steal.
    This quote is a point of contention. I think Picasso enjoyed propagating confusion. The greatest artist has nurtured their own unique style.

Thanks
    34. Have fun with your art. Being one of 7 billion human beings it's important that you enjoy yourself. Art has no limits.
    Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    HEY, i was gonna bump back this thread, looks like someone beat me to it!
    Anyway, take my words with a grain of salt, im definately not a pro but i do have something to say!
    35:
    1st tip- enter lots of art competitions either online, or in your neighbourhood, its good having it on a resume etc, and the prizes may help financial issues
    2:Repetition is the key to anatomy. Dont expect to draw a figure once and be able to do it again perfectly. It takes a few tries to understand, and more to remember.
    3: DO selfportraits. Its a valuable exercise and it beats ref stuff by a mile. Use a mirror and not a photo. Mix up some long ones with some quick ones.
    4:Before you draw, learn to draw! Lots of apriring artists start from their head and miss out on the fundamentals doing so. WHat I mean is start by doing simple exercises like from ref, life etc. Learn how to get proportions spot on everytime, make rendering your strong point. Back this up with anatomy studies!
    5:ALWAYS carry a sketchbook with you( You can buy miniature sbs that are big enough to squeeze into your pocket, but are big enough to draw in.
    You never know when inspiration will hit you, most often or not your not prepared, and cant get the idea down quick enough, so you lose it. It is also a good idea to carry a camera, even if its just attached to your phone.
    6:Experiment in different mediums: You can learn a lot from a lot of traditional methods that will help you in the long run. And you might find that one area isnt your strong point, but another is.
    7: When you think your done, or are nearly finished, leave it for a while, perhas overnight and look at it again in the morning. Most often or not, youll notice a plethora of mistakes. Its also valuable to get someone elses opinion, because after staring at it for an extended period, you dont notice the subtle mistakes.
    8: Suck up as many tutorials as you can. Whether it be from magazines, the internet, books, dvds. You can learn a lot of new techniques and styles in doing so, and youll learn about new tools/features of programs that you havent used before.
    Last but not least- enjoy yourself, If you land a good job, you never have to work a day in your life!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blanquish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    uhm... this may be kind of stupid... but i say pass on what you know.
    teach when you can... especially to kids. i see so many kids giving up when they try to draw a house and it just "doesn't look right"
    you've got to encourage them, push them, and convince them to never give up.

i hate it when i hear people my age say "i wish i could draw"
    i always tell them: "YOU CAN. you just have to want to learn, and just do it."

but yeah... encourage the kids and teach them as much as you can.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    definately!! teaching someone always leads to more knowledge.. its a way to force yourself to think about your theories cos you gotta make sure they are right befor you teach them!!

and you never know what your 'students' can teach you, in turn.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Form For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dont be beaten by a slump!
    draw no matter what the circumstances, dont get into habits and excuses like "Im tired, or maybe tomorrow",
    Last edited by blanquish; February 11th, 2007 at 12:52 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blanquish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar`
    34. Have fun with your art. Being one of 7 billion human beings it's important that you enjoy yourself. Art has no limits.
    I was thinking about saying this. It's vital that we don't get so caught up in what our teachers, our employers, even our fellow artists want that we forget WHY we do art. If you just concentrate on being better without also doing things just to enjoy them, then your progress will be much slower than if you balance what you want to do with what you must do to progress.

All in all, yeah, if you want to be good you've got to do all the things the professionals on here tell you. Study the masters, draw from life. Practice-Practice-Practice. But if you don't enjoy yourself, if you don't stay balanced and healthy, it'll show through in your work no matter how skilled you are.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuggles For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thanks

I must say I completely agree with you thanks allot for all the essential points. I find allot of students in my Industrial design program at Humber don't do most of this stuff enough, myself sometimes to but thanks for reminding me I almost gave myself a crutch for the on going dsign competition when the guys sponcering it basically turned down all my concepts for the project. but now I'm gonna jump right back on track and take their suggestion and make it work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Oh, what a wonderful thread!

If I may share a story. . .

There was once a student of the violin who sought out a master to play for him and ask his advice. “O wise teacher,” he said “do I have what it takes to be a great violinist?” “No,” responded the master. “Perhaps you would be more suited to a regular career.”

Crestfallen, the student put away his violin, and turned with a sigh to a career in banking. And ultimately he became a successful and happy banker.

Many years later he met the master violinist again. The student-turned banker said to him “Because you opened my eyes to my inadequacy as a violinist, I am now wealthy and have a stable career and a good family. It frightens me to think of the life I would have led as a second-rate violinist. Thank you for warning me away from playing the violin.”

The master violinist smiled sadly at the banker, and replied: “I tell all of the students they are inadequate. It is the ones who choose not to listen to me that have the stubbornness to succeed.”

I don’t remember where I first heard this story, I’m afraid.

FYI, if anyone here is looking for sketchbook assignment ideas, or info on the games industry, check out the links in my sig. . .
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

21. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Know that you are good yet awful:

You need to feel good about what you do and enjoy doing it, but also be aware that you are not flawless yet so you can improve. I know people that capped after 1 year of drawing. They tought they were awesome and didn't look at ways to improve. I saw their work 4 years later, and it's still exactly the same

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EricT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EricT
    Know that you are good yet awful:

You need to feel good about what you do and enjoy doing it, but also be aware that you are not flawless yet so you can improve. I know people that capped after 1 year of drawing. They tought they were awesome and didn't look at ways to improve. I saw their work 4 years later, and it's still exactly the same
    heh, yeah. like that guy on the forums the other day saying "im 54 now, and i've been doing illustration for 40 years, i dont think i need to improve" i swear to god thats what he said. and his art was on par with that of a deviantart furry artist. yikes..

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast