Help dear god please
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help dear god please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help dear god please

I did a poster for a local anime/sci-fi/gaming/etc convention. They said they were offering free passes as payment and I don't mind because I'm a complete amateur and wouldn't expect much more.
    But they gave me a table.
    I have no idea what to do.
    I don't know how to price things, how much work I should have, how to set up, or anything like that. The convention is in June and it feels like it's such a short time away. I'm about to go on a massive google hunt but if anyone has any advice that'd be fantastic and I will love you forever.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I had this bookmarked, for some reason.

http://www.artistalleysurvivalguide.com/

It's probably better to have the thread title actually relate to what the thread is about. On a bad week this section of the forum will get threads of people asking if they should hold a pencil with their teeth in order to draw better.

A legit thread title will make it get actual views and hopefully the advice you're looking for.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 20th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,589 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Better work your socks off then.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "If you look back on last years work and you still like it: you are slipping."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think God is a member of this forum.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith: Action, Belief and Confidence
    My web comics
    Just Create - my blog about how to create comic books
    YouTube Tutorials and stuff

Howard

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    im gonna smite you so hard for that

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    im gonna smite you so hard for that
    Oh no! I'm doomed!

Joining you in the ABCs of faith: Action, Belief and Confidence
    My web comics
    Just Create - my blog about how to create comic books
    YouTube Tutorials and stuff

Howard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simple answer would be - how much would you pay for amateur art of the same quality?

The good thing is that your table is free, you only have to cover the cost of printing.
    And since you are an amateur "selling for fun" you don't need the sales to pay for your rent. So my advice would be to sell cheap.
    As per the amount of prints - I have no idea. depends on size of event, the quality of artwork and the depth of the patron's pockets.

that's my 2 cents. which is actually worth 10 cents due to the exchange rate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it sounds like a great opportunity!

heres what I suggest you shouldnt do; sit behind a table feeling sad watching people walk past.

My suggestions for what you definitely should do would be:

1 Print off youre favourite stuff quite big so passers by are drawn to. Make sure everyone knows you made the poster. You probably wont even need to print that, but maybe print a step by step so people instantly understand its your work.

2 People are often let down by shit presentation, make sure your table looks lovely, and people will be drawn like bees to flowers.. that can be as simple as some nice thrift store tablecloths and a plate of biscuits..
    or coke cans with your biz card taped on, whatever!

3 Print lots of pretty biz cards (explaining again who you are, the poster, literally hi my name is, i did the poster for this event, etc) and stuff and leave them on your table so they can take one if youre off looking around (and leave em everywhere.. leave a few on each stand without anyone noticing hehehe)

4 Go and meet as many people as you can and fill a notebook with their names and contact details. A good tip is write a short note to yourself on their biz card (ie, friendly, knows X, or said "X", or needs a poster doing, or whatever) so you dont get mixed up. And take lots of snaps.

5 Dont worry too much about selling stuff. Your main goal is meeting, greeting, making friends and contacts. It takes time to get work and the first step is getting to know people and getting known. Most people love a chat, and often if they like you theyll try and hook you up.

6 Get a map of the event and work your way through each stand one by one so you know you havent missed any. Its a long hard days work but worth it!

"I did the poster for the event" is an excellent introduction...

7 You never know, you might score more work on the day; another poster, a brochure, an illustration. Id suggest this is worth a lot more to you than selling any single piece. Think hundreds or thousands of dollars of work over the coming years... geese and golden eggs..

8 Maybe see if you have friends whod like to share your table.. or man your table when youre away. I wouldnt worry too much about tickets; usually after a few hours you can just wonder in, and if the door is tight, take two out and bring people in that way. Like I say, usually conventions are as porous as wet cake, I been to the Geneva Motor show loads of times and never paid for a ticket.

9 Have a great time, see as much stuff as you can and generally enjoy yourself!

----

10 When you get home, write up your notes, add all the email addresses to your address book, email them all saying hi.
    Email them all again every month or two, sooner or later people always need work doing and if youre there asking for it, youll get it! Thats how you start making ££££!

Those are my tips for having a good convention.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; February 21st, 2013 at 12:18 PM.

11. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Velocity has given a jewel of advice here. (The down side is that you'll have to love him forever, though he's quite a good looking guy, so that should help...)
    Take it!
    I had a similar day a few months back - my election to the Royal Institute of Oil Painters depended on my lobbying as many people in that institution as I could. I was there introducing myself to strangers from 1pm to 7.30pm solid. I even met Michael Portillo! (ex British government minister).
    My feet and mouth were killin' me on the tube ride back.
    But it did the trick.
    And decent galleries are now ringing me.

Last edited by Chris Bennett; February 21st, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If lanky and pale with teeth like an ancient graceyard is your bag then Im your man!
    Do I have to love you forever now Chris? Well I do anyway.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    - Think vertical. Stand up. Put stuff up so people can see it.
    - Smile. Nobody wants to see you skulking behind the table buried in your sketchbook. If you have to skulk behind the table buried in your sketchbook, convince a friend to be your social stand-in. (I really need one of these. It's tough being an introvert at an art fair.)
    - If you see someone looking interested in your table, ask them a question. You're more likely to get to know someone if you get them to talk.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Another thing Mudpuppy...
    Remember to thank people for their time. It's good manners apart from anything else.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know it's late but thank you everyone who replied to this thread Unfortunately I won't be able to go because the convention is during Ringling's PreCollege which is my priority, but if I get this kind of chance again I'll memorize everything you guys have advised Sorry too about the thread title.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's funny I'm in no way related to this and have never considered having a table at a convention, or anywhere, before. Reading this now and thinking about it is a little exciting. Something to work hard towards in the future~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Few other things to add to VKs excellent advise:

Take some of your current work with you, even if it is just a paper sketchbook and a bunch of pencils. I have been doing those kinds of gigs for 20 odd years and take a small carving and a couple of tools so in those quiet times I can do a little work. Working away on something draws humans in like moths to a lightsource! Amazing.

Smile lots, have fun, oh and dress up, find a cool and interesting to wear. Stand out from the other exhibitors. Be different and try and memorize one thing about each person from the brief conversation you have with them. Particularly those that buy something off you. You might not remember the name but if you can recall one thing about them and then feed that item back.....well.....you have got their real attention next time and they will think that you are awesome.

We are remembered only by what we leave behind.

http://www.kilts.co.nz/WheelerKnives.htm

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Waipunga For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of Convention is it and where? That too can help in getting an ideal of the price and what kind of art to sell ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    I know it's late but thank you everyone who replied to this thread Unfortunately I won't be able to go because the convention is during Ringling's PreCollege which is my priority, but if I get this kind of chance again I'll memorize everything you guys have advised Sorry too about the thread title.
    Ask the organisers to spread your name and biz cards about and make sure people know you did the poster ok?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^What Velocity Kendall said, and try to get your foot in the door for next year. Seriously, you'll have a whole year to prep new work. Doing my local con was one of the best things I could have done, I networked my socks off, met tons of cool people, and was approached for the project I'm currently working on. And even if you feel like an amateur, everyone knows somebody has to start somewhere, so it's not like this is your only chance. Most of all it's fun and super motivating.
    I was super lucky because we have a pretty small con here in Malta (here) and there aren't huge queues to see the guests, so I was lucky enough to have Ben Templesmith and JS Rossbach look at my portfolio. And they'll all tell you they had to work their asses off to get where they are. Seriously, try do a con when you can, it was one of the most validating things I've ever done.

I have an art/sketch blog on the dreaded Facebook
    Twitter
    Sketchbook
    Process video for my largest piece on Vimeo / Youtube

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.