Midnight Special 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Midnight Special 2

A while back I posted this painting (cant find that thread though) and got some good feedback. Here it is again with the tweaks. Any further thoughts/impressions much appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first thought when I looked at this image is that it's range is very limited, making the image quite flat.. Perhaps it is just a bad photograph, but if not, try get a full range of tone from almost blacks to near whites.
    If it is just the photograph or scan, maybe adjust the levels in Photoshop before posting, and it will look much better.
    Also - something needs to happen with the end of the tracks there... they just seem to fade into the ground.

My Sketchbook
    My Sculpting thread
    Comics: www.uocomics.com
    Blog: www.jumpsuitblog.blogspot.com"
    "Yor's world! Yor's world! He's the man!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i think its a nice image.

maybe make it so its obviously not meant to be a train that literally drove into a prison and ran out of track, and more clearly a metaphore.

you might do this with a number of devices; for example perhaps making the train {more?) translucent, ghostly figures on it, longer tracks fading out, or something. overall i think its good.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this looks great, has a great storybook quality about it. Is it made with pastels? All the mark making is very lovely.

I wish I could give you better advice, I think there is something strange about the watch tower. Maybe if it was a bit behind the guy, or maybe if there wasn't so much detail over there, I can't put my finger on it. Also, the horizontal of the light coming from the train, it feels too uniform with the horizon line, maybe you can make them a bit more diagonal?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ally Hodges For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the input! And yes the photo is bad, will try and do better next time, the colors went off here.
    Ally, it was made with inks, watercolor, (using dry brush a lot), and watercolor pencils. I'll finish this one up and post later

10. The Following User Says Thank You to marlene-oconnor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh also, if the colours dont show up right, you can play around with them using the Adjust>Colour Balance menu in PS. A bit of trial and error can give you good results.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is lovely. Really nice effect with the inks/watercolour pencils, and I love the atmosphere you've created. Agree about it being a little dull at the moment and that a bit of colour/contrast/light tweaking will help the scan pop more. That's a problem I have with scans and I don't always get it right so I know what you're dealing with there.

A couple of things stood out to me. His hands look a bit awkward on the guitar and the train tracks are running from a different vanishing point to the train. Not sure how easy those would be to fix at this stage but it's something to think about for next time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't learned much about color yet, but with my limited experience, I do like the soft dreamy quality of the colors. To me they fit the image. I agree with Ally about the watch tower. There seems to be too much contrast and hard edges there compared to the softness of the rest of the image, drawing too much attention to it.

And maybe you can even play with removing the train tracks to help show that it is not an actual train about to derail? Lovely painting overall!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the previous thread you had started.

http://www.conceptart.org/showthread.php?t=264396

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.