Getting really raw inspiration

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Getting really raw inspiration

So usually music is what gets me going in the morning... either to get up to go to work or to draw and create... this morning a friend sent me this http://youtu.be/C9qSKPDRTuE

I'm about to draw a guy with skulls as hands punching another guy who has a skull as a face.

Does anyone else find inspiration like this, and if you listen to something really relaxing do you create relaxing stuff, and if you listen to Katy Perry do you get broken up with immediately?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need briefings most of the time. Either through community activities, briefs from clients or I set myself a specific verbal briefing for practice (that's the hardest one though).
    I'm not terribly creative in the sense that ideas just come spurting out my head.
    Most of the time I'm fine just studying. I guess I find the greatest pleasure in just the drawing/painting itself, the "ideas coming to life" part is secondary to me and never has been very important for me at all.
    I guess I just love to make pretty pictures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very interesting, i've never really heard anyone be inspired that way but I think it's awesome.

Going through your art too and I must say its work...very very cool

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Walks and naps are my prime idea-generating times... Also long boring subway rides, if there aren't annoying distractions. Any time you can let your brain wander is good.

I don't think I get ideas from music so much (sometimes, but not much,) but I do use music to keep myself in the mood of a particular picture - so I'll maybe have specific playlists to match the mood of whatever I'm painting. I also have general mood playlists for the same purpose ("Adrenaline", "Dark", "Psychedelic", "Chill", "Happy fun times", etc...)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn method artists.

Hah!

Inspiration comes from being for me. Minds always on any damn way so ideas come out left field from anything. A blank wall for instants. The very thought just gave me an idea for a parallel universe where color is outlawed and the two extremes white and black rule by subjugation.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They usually come late at night when I'm in my bed but con not sleep. So I keep a notebook handy to quickly note or sketch the idea.
    And like QueenGwenevere I use music to get me in a certain mood that fits the piece.

I need to work on my fear of an empty page though, might help getting these ideas out on paper :p

Help me improve, critiques and criticism are welcome:
    My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that most of my best ideas tend emerge from when I am on the shitter.
    Probably accounts for the quality of my work, mind you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that inspiration can come from the most unlikely of places, often I find that my inspiration for
    a project comes from an area unrelated, and can also be abstract in regards to the brief, but if
    carefully developed; and that really is the important part of what we creatives are doing, it can
    become a much stronger solution.
    Make a point of exploring different subjects as an exercise in challenging your approach to the
    creative process.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.