Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Perspective Puzzles

Welcome! The overall idea behind this thread is very simple: we all study perspective and the problems that lie with it (constructions/orthographic projections/renderings/and much more). As it develops, I'll be posting up assignments and "puzzles" for people to try out that are suggested to me so as to make this stuff fun as well as educational. However as of yet I have nothing, so I'd love some ideas as to what everyone would like to study in here, so please, post your comments letting me know what you'd want everyone to learn!

(I'll just post a simple construction/rendering exercise to give an example of what will possibly be studied in here).

Edit: I've gotten questions from people asking if they can join this thread, so I'll clarify here: this thread is for anyone and everyone who'd like to participate. We all need to learn this stuff, so we're all here to help each other. So please, whether you've just started learning perspective or you've been a master of it for years, feel free to contribute what you'd like. I only ask that this thread stay on topic so as to keep a productive environment. Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MrFrenik; February 25th, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this is gonna be awesome,to start it off I thought of a little construction challenge which isnt that hard.
    its basically an s curve on a plane mirrored downwards and mirrored perendicularly on either side.
    here is an example

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  41.5 KB.

try drawing it freehand without too many aids

*I think you should change the order of the picture in the first post because that firs picture thumbnail is invisible.

Last edited by GrayPersona; February 20th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looking forward to seeing this series progress! may i recommend some form studies where you combine several different random forms and shapes and show how they merge into one another? like show how two cones would collide and join into 1 shape.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlugTurtle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome man!!! Sorry for my inactivity latley, about to start posting again Ill do some stuff for this as well. I think we should make a facebook page as well so we have an album with the tutorials in it. Just random thoughts hahah

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sooooo im no master hahahahaha but hopefully this helps a bit Here is my first ever attempt at a tutorial hahahahah The Star CLass Battleship-1000!!!!!! mwhahahahaha
    Also sorry for miss spelling some words like Vertical hahahahah

Name:  Star-Class-Battleship-1000-1.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  202.3 KB

Name:  Star-Class-Battleship-1000-2.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  245.5 KB

16 is suppose to say "shadow" not "shaw" hahahahaha

Last edited by Joseph Church; February 21st, 2013 at 02:30 AM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is awesome, guys. I'm already happy about the participation we're getting. So far we have curved planes constructions, boolean operations (merging forms into one another, as suggested by turtle), and a kick ass tutorial by Joe on form construction. These are great and I'll definitely be thinking of my own over the next few days, since I'll be out of town until Sunday night. I'll post some stuff up then, but be sure to keep going with ideas!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've taken Joe's design, redrew it from a different perspective (wide angled lens at mid horizon) and then did a cast shadow construction. Posted here are images of my process (I'll post a more in depth description of what I did when I have time, so don't fret). I've also posted a Sketchup model, which I used to "check" my cast shadows' correctness and plausibility. Let me know of any questions you might have.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dude thats great,probably will try to do this tomorrow.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this thread is awesome i shall participate. though, im not to amazing with straight lines :s

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hallowtreez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the thread. I'm just now beginning to study perspective via Norling. And this will be great to visit and work with. I already know Joe777k7 has a good grasp on it, and MrFrenik post 7 , wow. Nicely done! I have yet to determine through Norlings book, or even reading threads here on CA.org how to manage off the page VP. Vertical horizon, but nothing short of just guessing. Anyone point me in a direction for this. Hopefully somewhere that breaks it down for illiterate dyslexic math deficient clowns like myself, because it's truly hard for me to grasp. I do have handprint to go through still. Anyways, If you have some simple exercises I'd love to have at them. Even though they appear to be no-brainers for you lot. Look forward to more here regardless.

Last edited by I STRaY I; February 26th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to I STRaY I For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    tried my hardest to do this today and I still think there are some mistakes,if anyone sees them please tell me,I especialy found it hard to construct the cast shadow from the turret to the body of the ship.

Name:  Untitled-8.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  139.2 KB

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I STRaY I View Post
    Thanks for the thread. I'm just now beginning to study perspective via Norling. And this will be great to visit and work with. I already know Joe777k7 has a good grasp on it, and MrFrenik post 7 , wow. Nicely done! I have yet to determine through Norlings book, or even reading threads here on CA.org how to manage off the page VP. Vertical horizon, but nothing short of just guessing. Anyone point me in a direction for this. Hopefully somewhere that breaks it down for illiterate dyslexic math deficient clowns like myself, because it's truly hard for me to grasp. I do have handprint to go through still. Anyways, If you have some simple exercises I'd love to have at them. Even though they appear to be no-brainers for you lot. Look forward to more here regardless.

Stray, I drew up some steps to help you. Funny enough this type of "estimating" uses quite a bit of construction, but it's still a good way to check your estimates if you're unsure. This method also only works in 2 point perspective, since non-converging vertical lines are used as guides for plotting points. Let me know if any of it's too confusing or if I need to explain something more in depth or better.

0. Establish the Horizon Line as well as your converging parallel lines, shown here as red and blue lines. After this you will establish 3 more parallel, perpendicular lines to your horizon: 1 at the left, 1 and the right, and once at the midpoint through which your lines cross. These lines can really be any distance on the page, as long as you have a left one that will act as your left vp, a right one that will act as the right, and a midline which both your vp's will share. In this example, my blue line is headed towards the right vp somewhere off the page, and my red line is towards the left vp. Each line passes through 2 points, 1 through its respective vp guide line and one through the shared midline. You'll notice that the converging colored lines do touch the other vp's guide line across from it, but this has nothing to do with the construction and only occurs because I've carried the lines out across the page.

1. The next step is to establish some 1/2 way points on each of your lines. These points will half the distance between your already established points and points at which these guide lines cross the Horizon Line.

2. Now it's a simple matter of connecting the dots. I've drawn another red line going through the 1/2 way points of both the left guide line and the midline, and I've also drawn a blue line going through the right guide line and the midline. At this point it's starting to look like a perspective grid.

3. Now that we have a distance between dots on the lines, we can continue to take this out as far as we'd like. I've added a few more for each line. It's critical to remember to add the SAME AMOUNT of points to each line, since certain points have to go with certain points.

4. More connecting lines, and now we have a decent, estimated grid to use for whatever we may need.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by MrFrenik; February 26th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gray, the construction looks great, man. I haven't checked it for complete accuracy, but from glancing at your guidelines and the end result it looks pretty much correct to me. Casting shadows from elevated planes can be tricky, but all you need to do is think of is the ship as a "ground plane" that your turret sits on, and then it's no different in construction method from anything else you did. If the shadow extends past this plane and onto a lower plane, then you'll have to extend your shadow points down to that plane, draw guide lines from the SVP out through those lines and then find where guide lines from your LVP intersect those. A bit more construction, but not too difficult. In hindsight, it probably would've been a better example had I done an angle that showed off the boat from the top so you could see how the cast shadow fell across the boat, but your example worked well. Keep it up!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6