Please ignore the username - fullbody wips [2]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Please ignore the username - fullbody wips [2]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please ignore the username - fullbody wips [2]

Sorry for the dumb username. I made it when I was like, pre-teen. Wish I could change it but ehhhh.
    Also ps sorry I started off drawing anime and until I was like 14 I was the kid that pulled the "I'm gonna be the best manga artist ever!" line.

Any who, here's the WIP's I have today.
    I literally only draw portraits, so I tried drawing a non-portrait thing. I think the head is too small? idk I've been looking at this for awhile and would really appreciate it if someone gave their opinion!
    Name:  morgana.png
Views: 491
Size:  192.8 KB

And here's the 2nd one, a male. The original drawing is literally his collarbone up. He was a character submitted somewhere else in a group so I have to clothe him. so sorry :'c Sorry it's so big! D'x
    Name:  tovah (2).png
Views: 437
Size:  1.42 MB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Sorry for the dumb username. I made it when I was like, pre-teen. Wish I could change it but ehhhh."

There is a name change section in the support forum.

"I think the head is too small?"

Its actually a bit too big.

"Sorry it's so big!"

Instead of being sorry, hows about you just resize it for us?

Anyway, I would reccomend you do some life drawing, draw real people and get used to constructing the human body from observation. Look at angles and relationships until you internalise the proportions.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Dont trust anything i say! I'm a noob.
    My Noob Sketch Book

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to element1988 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at real-life references. If all you look at, is fantasy and stylized characters, you'll never be able to draw humans and characters better. There will always be something odd about them. So start drawing away of real people, sketch people in the city and find drawing fundamental learning books.

---------------------------
    My brain just exploded!

My Sketchbook < < <

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before you get carried away with details, you have to nail the proportions.
    You started with the female figure, but you need to be more aware of the perspective of your figures, they are really being flattened in your drawing.
    I did a quick redraw with my guidelines more or less intact to show you what I am trying to say.
    It's really late and these aren't perfect by any means but I hope you can find them useful - please feel free to utilize them if you like.
    Good luck!
    Name:  po23.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  255.4 KB
    Name:  po.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  329.3 KB

---------------------------------------------------
    EZpaint's Finished Work: Here

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EZpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by element1988 View Post
    "Sorry for the dumb username. I made it when I was like, pre-teen. Wish I could change it but ehhhh."

There is a name change section in the support forum.

"I think the head is too small?"

Its actually a bit too big.

"Sorry it's so big!"

Instead of being sorry, hows about you just resize it for us?

Anyway, I would reccomend you do some life drawing, draw real people and get used to constructing the human body from observation. Look at angles and relationships until you internalise the proportions.
    See I totally didn't know that there was a forum for that. I looked around the user panel with no luck. Thanks! I'll look for it.

Noted. I have a tendency to draw heads , bunch detail on them and then draw the body x.x

Because I honestly didn't know the image was that big D: Heck, my computer doesn't show it that big either. However, in the future I'll shrink them.

Also noted. I'll try more figure drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering View Post
    Look at real-life references. If all you look at, is fantasy and stylized characters, you'll never be able to draw humans and characters better. There will always be something odd about them. So start drawing away of real people, sketch people in the city and find drawing fundamental learning books.
    I honestly looked at a ref for the collarbone up on the 2nd one. However, next time I draw I'll have a ref for the whole body. I try drawing fantasy characters with human anatomy (even though it doesn't look human ha ha!) I'll look into more of the basics before I start drawing her again.

Quote Originally Posted by EZpaint View Post
    Before you get carried away with details, you have to nail the proportions.
    You started with the female figure, but you need to be more aware of the perspective of your figures, they are really being flattened in your drawing.
    I did a quick redraw with my guidelines more or less intact to show you what I am trying to say.
    It's really late and these aren't perfect by any means but I hope you can find them useful - please feel free to utilize them if you like.
    Good luck!
    Name:  po23.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  255.4 KB
    Name:  po.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  329.3 KB
    Noted. I do always draw the details first. They're just so fun to draw xnx;;
    I didn't notice it at first, but you're totally right! And thanks for the re-draws. Much better posing than what I have. And wow those are quick? They're so good ;w;

Thanks guys! I'll work on the anatomy & posing as soon as I'm done with my work :>
    Also PS sorry if it sounds like I'm ignoring critique, I'm not trying to I'm just terrible with words.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's about the best paintover I can muster given my current time limitations.

You were pretty close, all things considered. You're obviously thinking about anatomy during the construction phase, what, with your circles indicating joints and all.

Name:  Paintover_01.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  132.8 KB

It's a typical mistake to see one of the feet prjected downward and then have another foot grounded horizontally on the actual viewing plane. You think you've drawn a foot in perspective but what you've really illustrated is a down-turned foot. There is almost no quicker way to throw your character off balance.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fez View Post
    That's about the best paintover I can muster given my current time limitations.

You were pretty close, all things considered. You're obviously thinking about anatomy during the construction phase, what, with your circles indicating joints and all.

Name:  Paintover_01.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  132.8 KB

It's a typical mistake to see one of the feet prjected downward and then have another foot grounded horizontally on the actual viewing plane. You think you've drawn a foot in perspective but what you've really illustrated is a down-turned foot. There is almost no quicker way to throw your character off balance.
    Oh wow! Thanks for the paintover! ;w; I appreciate it.
    Here's Morgana, take 2!
    I do need to work on the hands, and feet too. So is she a tad bit better? I tried to move her foot so the perspective would come into play, and I tried to fix it so it didn't look like she was doing a tip-toe foot. Although her foot doesn't look flat, it's supposed to be. I'll work on it with some practice. :>
    But yeah here she is!
    Name:  sketchybodything.png
Views: 206
Size:  203.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Instead of trying to do a full figure drawing before you know realistic proportions and anatomy, make some studies (e.g. Loomis). Internalise proportions of the human figure, then go through each trouble area and do studies of that (e.g. copy a dozen hands, from either art instruction books or life or photos or all three, and think about how they work).

What you're seeing in the redlines/POs you got are the result of a bunch of study of the human figure. You should see straight away some things you got wrong, and how to correct them. That's one reason redlines like these are so useful. But without doing those studies yourself, you won't get something that believable when you do new drawings.

So, the best thing you can do to improve these drawings is to pause, do a bunch of studies, preferably start a Sketchbook thread here on CA so we can continue to watch your progress and offer pointers, then try them again from scratch after you've got the knowledge to back them up.

As other have said, you were pretty close. You are thinking about what you're doing. So it shouldn't take too much for studies to strongly improve your works.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much what everyone else has already said. Work on proportions. Studies will help drawing from imagination as they build up the minds library, but must always be study with intent rather than just mindless doodling.

Quick 5min paintover off the dude smoking.

Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.