Wish list - suggestion

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wish list - suggestion

I tried to find a suggestion box on the Wacom website, but I couldn't find one. So I figured that I would put it here in hopes that someone from Wacom might see it. I am new to digital art, but not drawing. I'm old school pencil and paper. So i decided to go digital. I know that many people had tried to do the switch and hated it. So I bought a used intuos3 and I downloaded GIMP and tried to get my hand eye coordination down, i think I was a little successful. I caught myself having to undo a lot. I figured that it would take me time to get it down. I then saw the inkling and I was immediately drawn to the concept of being able to draw on paper (albiet with a pen) and have it capture my drawing digitally. I was tempted to buy it, but then I read a lot of reviews and I figured that the device was still a little immature and I should wait a little while before I think about buying one. Then the other day I saw that Wacom had an intuos pen that allowed you to trace an image that you layed on the active area of an intuos. You could see what you had traced and the digitizer picked up your lines. I thought that was a novel solution, which got me to start thinking. What if Wacom were to make an intuos 5 medium battery powered and then design a pen that could be rechargeable and afix a mechanism to hold a sheet of paper to the tablet. They could either have built in memory and a usb cable to transfer the data or a provision for a thumb drive to store the data.

I forgot to add that this solution was already designed into the Inkling, but if they could take their existing digitizer (which works perfectly, with its pickup antennae) and then make it portable and incorporate a memory chip or flash card with a paper anchoring mechanism and keep it affordable. There might be a lot of paper and pencil artists that would be interested in using a digitizer and still being able to use paper and pen. The other component that I had forgotten to add because it has been the biggest thing that I love the most, is layers and the inkling had this built into the unit so that the user could just push a button and you initiated a new layer. So I'm sure that Wacom could incorporate that nice bonus feature into this device as well.

Anyway this is just a suggestion and maybe Wacom could take the next step.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting idea, but how is that better than simply scanning your artwork?

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well lets see. It would already be stored digitally. If as you drew it you created layers, you could do your final edits within those layers. It would open up new possibilities for all of the paper and pencil artists. If Wacom were to develope this unit it would be portable and could basically use their existing digitiser hardware (I'm sure with some tweaks). And yes you could still draw on a piece of paper and scan it in, that would always be an option, but if you want to capture your line vectors you would have to trace over your scanned drawings.
    Like I stated I was interested in the Inkling, but it still needs some bugs worked out. And when I was reading some of the negative reviews on the Inkling I figured that an easy fix would be to mount the Inkling receiver to a clip board, thus providing a solid flat surface. That was when I thought, why not just create a battery powered Intuos and adapt it to hold a sheet of paper. You would get all of the advantages of a digitizer and .........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well after reading the new posting about WACOMs announcement of a Portable tablet, I think I will keep my fingers crossed that they do produce this device and that it has all of those things that we have come to expect from WACOM and I'm hoping that it isn't going to be crazy expensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure they're phasing out the 12wx for this "mobile" Cintiq, so I am expecting it to be between $1,000-$2,000. We can hope for less, though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bluebee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got this from another forum.
    http://www.socialdes...m-sketcher.html
    It shows that it will be around 12inches and will have programable buttons and a dial, with a small camera on the back so that you can take a picture of some art to do some finish work. From these concept pictures it appears to be very sleek and because it looks so sleek I suspect that it will be a couple of thousand US.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found it on other sites saying it was just a concept, it's dated from december 2011. Are you really sure this is the tablet for this summer ?

Last edited by Griffonnage; March 4th, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
    * My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No I am not positive. But based on Wacom's vague annoucement, it seems to look like a good fit.

And when I look at that concept it has what I think you would see, (except for the four buttons on the bottom).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.