1/3rd through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, should i stop?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Okay so i picked up drawing on the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards and now up to chapter 6, but after browsing this forum and reading a recent 4chan post i'm getting the impression that i should probably stop, and pick something else up (book). I've heard it's pretty useless and creates bad habits and ultimately will not help me in the long run. Also getting annoying as i have to somehow find an 8x10 piece of glass. I was just wondering if you guys think i should just stop and if so what book should i start reading instead.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you feel you're still getting something from it, why stop just because some folks on a forum said a couple words? Stop when you no longer feel like you're learning anything. Continue if you do.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even if the "science" in the book is bogus its lessons still help to learn how to see.
    It's the foundation of observational drawing after all. Learn to see, but don't drink the Kool-Aid. And don't forget about learning to understand things in their 3D form too, not only flat shapes.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's already too late to stop, your development as an artist will be flawed forever, and there is no way to repair this: once you step into the Edwards trap, you're hopeless

Grinnikend door het leven...

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    It's already too late to stop, your development as an artist will be flawed forever, and there is no way to repair this: once you step into the Edwards trap, you're hopeless
    I might have sounded a tad extreme haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    I might have sounded a bit extreme haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This book is for the complete noob in drawing. Those who "can't make a straight line" and draw the image that they have in their mind rather than the image that's in front of them. If you feel you have already surpassed this stage you should skip (maybe to a Bargue Drawing?) But only you can decide.

www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have you been getting any use out of it? If yes, keep going, then read another book, and then another, and then another...

Are you getting some use out of it but you're starting to feel like you need something more substantial? Keep going, and start some other books at the same time. (Multiple books, I know! What an outrageous concept!)

Are you tired of Betty Edwards/don't think you're learning anything useful/feel like you're ready to move on? Read another book (and then another, and another, and another...)

This isn't religion where you need to pick one book and stick with it forever. You can read ALL the books if you want! You can read them all at the same time, even! And you can learn from them all, too! Even when they contradict each other! Shocking but true!

Reading one book will not ruin you for life. (Well, unless you decide to treat it as gospel and deliberately block out all contrary information forever after... But then the problem is you, not the book.)

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You sound like a follower. The book tells you to get a piece of glass. Have you thought about just skipping that part? 4chan tells you that the book sucks and will ruin you forever. Does that really sound reasonable? How about you see what the book has to offer and then test its efficacy against other books?

Develop your skepticism and critical thinking skills.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenntrop View Post
    Okay so i picked up drawing on the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards and now up to chapter 6, but after browsing this forum and reading a recent 4chan post i'm getting the impression that i should probably stop, and pick something else up (book). I've heard it's pretty useless and creates bad habits and ultimately will not help me in the long run. Also getting annoying as i have to somehow find an 8x10 piece of glass. I was just wondering if you guys think i should just stop and if so what book should i start reading instead.

Re: the glass,

You could also get plexiglass ( I did this), or any clear plastic sheet ( and I did this).
    Like those plastic covers for notebooks and such, you can get a whole stack of them from Staples for not too much. Just stick it on to a cardboard frame for support and there you go. Use a whiteboard marker to draw on it.

Or..like Vineris said, if you don't feel like it, just skip to the next exercise. You can always go back if you feel it's needed.

I like her book to some extent, I stopped halfway because the psychobabble got too much for me. BUT she does have some good exercises ( like the negative space one; might have to revisit that part).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenntrop View Post
    This image, by Betty Edwards, graces the cover of her book. As, such, one must assume that this is Ms. Edwards way of saying "Das Is Mein Meisterstuck!"

"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master."

-Leonardo da Vinci

(But, the exercises are classic learning tools, "brain science" aside. . .)

Re "ear science," that figure's ear just doesn't look right! And, Ms. Edward's right brain lobe seems to produce weak and muddy values. . .but she draws hair kinda nice. . .

Last edited by Kamber Parrk; February 20th, 2013 at 01:14 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Other books about art?
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...s-Reading-List

reading a 4chan post
    Source of quality advice

I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff