Art: Help!? Need assistance in quoting job for cd case design.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Help!? Need assistance in quoting job for cd case design.

Hi everyone,

I've just started doing some freelance work and I have just got a great opportunity to do a CD case design for a local band. The band is doing a collaboration EP with 3 other bands so it will almost be a full length CD.

So here's what I have to quote.. (forwarded from client)

It's a standard sized 8 page booklet, CD and 2 sided inlay.

What we'd be after is hand-drawn or custom for the cover, instead of just copy/paste. And we'd like it to be fairly detailed.
    4 of the internal pages of the booklet and the back of the booklet will have mainly text, but also the band logos and a basic background.
    2 of the internal pages would just be 4 photos (one of each band). Possibly textured or given effects of some sort to fit the theme/color of the rest of the layout.
    The part of the inlay that would face the back would be reasonably basic with text, a basic background and a smallish custom picture. The other part of the inlay (the part that would end up being underneath the CD) would be a basic background with a small picture, or possibly just a copy of the CD.
    And the CD will just have a background with the band logos as well as some text.
    At the moment it's only a quote but if we go with you, we'd be looking to have it done by mid-late May.

I would appreciate any help from fellow freelance designers in sorting out this quote, and if possible, reasons as to how and why you came up with the price you did?

Thank you so much everyone.

"War doesn't determine who is , but who is ."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would just take my hourly rate x estimated hours worked for something like local bands (they're usually not swimming in corporate money). Keep the rights to your illustration - make sure you have a contract.

Please PM me if you'd like an individual crit.

idrawyouonthesubway
    huxleycreative

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would also include in your quote the number of proofs you will be providing for that price; after which, you will begin charging an hourly rate for any subsequent proofs. I've found this helps the client focus a bit more on their responsibilities, and it avoids making me into a victim of endless proofing. I usually provide 3 proofs in my estimate.

I also include the following statement on my proof sheets, which they must sign (my company name is SIGMA):

Every attempt is made to ensure accuracy in this project. This is your opportunity as the client to make alterations / corrections. It is the client’s responsibility to carefully check each proof.
    SIGMA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ERRORS NOT INDICATED ON PROOFS.
    Unless otherwise stated (via contract or letter of agreement), all original artwork, photography, layout files, and proofs created by SIGMA remain property of SIGMA. Unauthorized use is prohibited.

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sigmadog For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1