Sketchbook: What ImSkeptical learned this week

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What ImSkeptical learned this week

Note: I accidentally broke my first thread by editing the first post like it says not to do in the support forum :(. Sorry for that. Please delete the old one. Thanks! :D

Hi I'm Cameron, and i decided to finally make a CA sketchbook :D. I managed to collect most everything i did since i started last year (my hard-drive died a few months into this, so i lost my early digital stuff).

It was mostly made to share with people on Teamliquid, the competitive Starcraft community, but I thought it makes for a good first sketchbook page :D! If you understand videogames/eSports/competitive sports, you might be able to understand the little life story i wrote on TL ( http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?id=397915 ).

Otherwise, I've been working really hard given I've finally found what i want do do in life. So after finishing my B of Science, I decided to learn how to draw and paint to be a concept artist and illustrator like all you cool people. Here's most of 2012

That copy paper is double sided, and that doesn't include 600 over psd's :D.

Please ask me any questions about it! Especially cause I feel really bad about that hard drive crash ( I have 2 levels of redundancy now so i never kill myself again xD). I felt like I made huge leaps in understanding there too, but now the visual record is locked behind a 2000 dollar repair bill :(.

-------

Here's what I did this week. Ill try update the sketchbook once a week with anything I've managed to get done :D.

Randumb sketches just testing imagination/memory, being a major weakpoint of mine. I should've sized them lower they look horrible large :(. Stealing Aaron Beck's ideas for robot ( skul4aface.blogspot.com ). I'm planning to do something with those char designs at the end though. Gonna do a set of 6 designs, cloth, leather, plate fantasy archetypes but 3 realism and 3 stupidly impractical. So currently having fun exploring. Probably gonna have to look at more ref to bring it out from me just dicking around.

Working on some bigger illustrative stuff because I feel like I can do better than what I've done so far. First is a sketch for the CGMA contest ( http://www.cgma2dacademy.com/contest-2013/ ) and the 2nd is a fanart for the anime Aria i've been working on. Still WIP but I think its getting somewhere.

Quick 1hr Richard Schmid study for brushwork and water. Drawing is ass, but my excuse is I wasn't concentrating on it :P

And I went life drawing for the first time! It was fun, but personally, now having been, I think its not as necessary as most people seem to claim. Not that mine are all that spectacular so take what I say as talking out of my ass. Next time though I think i need to get a sketchbook and not just use copy paper on a clipboard...

Thanks for lookin!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post'n random stuff done during the week

Closer look at Long Ouyang, badass tech guy, while trying out new brushes. Check out Long's stuff on his da and tumblr! (http://0800.deviantart.com/ http://long0800.tumblr.com/)

Trying out new exercise to improve drapery/photo realism. Mostly failure so far :(, but hopefully that's good because it gives me something concrete to improve on :D.

Working to improve drawing more, this is some of the digital stuff i did.

More progress on the Aria fanart, still very rough :(. I might just dedicate this week to finishing this off, I feel like I avoid putting work into it :(. Also need to do more random imaginary sketches.

That's all this week, thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff thus week

Lifedrawin - fun

Studyin - trying new things with edges

Sketchin - fun to do a quick something with no planning/deep thought. Am going to try do somthing like this once a week

Finishing - I'm really bashing my head against a wall on this one. Next week is the last week i waste time on it

That's this week! Thanks for lookin :D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's thus week, probably the least in a long time. Mainly because of this guy

And some water studies along with it. Finally done with it, didn't turn out as good as I was hoping but it's certainly the best illustration I have so far so I can't complain too much. Its going to be awhile before I ever put that much time into somthing, I think its better to go through the start phase more. I think. Working on my sketching and stuff. Which leads to this page.

Bunch of random sketches. Very experimental, very rough, real 'sketches' not those 'sketches' people post that make you want to cry :(. I'm not bitter at all. I think the fact they look so damn ugly is telling about something I'm lacking right now. Probably the kind of precision and deliberateness of more experienced people. But yeah experimenting with how to start something for myself, as I realized I need stuff like that.

That's all, be back next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's the digital stuff this week, back to not being bothered to photograph traditional stuff xD. From finishing the fanart, My feeling that my biggest issue is once again drawing, so i'm really pushing myself, especially in the imaginative/sketching stuff. One of the ways to try do that is using this wetedge brush i see the chinese guy hgjart doing, where you have to be accurate and deliberate with all the shapes you place, so we'll see how that goes. All very trash but I want to post it because I don't want to get into the habit of hiding away what I hate from sketchbooks. I'm trying to think of a cool idea for the bloodsport, I think I have one, so hopefully I can get that done next week.

studies

sketches from imagination

Thats all, see ya next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel a little food poisoned so gonna just post n run .

Bloodsport 13. Bloodsports are a comp run by Dave Rapoza and Dan Warren, details are here. http://crimsonbloodsports.blogspot.com.au/

Studying Faces

Ref

Memory/Imagination

Cya next time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey m8, I recognize you from CD mentor vids, and other stuff. Good work , nice start to your SB. Also good work on that last BS, are you doing 14 too? I very much wanted to do the last one, but failed. I might try the next one, but I have so much to learn about character design I just feel like I'm wasting time. Those vids you guys all took part in are really helping, so thanks for that. I'm studying what you guys did good and also what Dan suggested to improve on. Which I think you've done, showing great improvement. So keep it up! Also, how did you break your other thread? I edit my 1st post all the time, admittedly without knowing until now I wasn't supposed too, hah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    STRaY - Thanks dude! Yeah Dan's mentoring thing was awesome, first time i got such indepth crits and I wasn't even one of the selected people xD. Such a hero. Glad you liked the BS, i felt it was abit of a joke/throwaway piece, it was certainly fun to do but i'm not too happy with it in the end. Was going to polish it up but can't be bothered now :(. Totally doing the next one more serious, more details below :D. Oh and breaking the first post thing i think is recent, I'm too afraid to try it again now xD.

K, not that much to post this week. And this time it wasn't laziness, although that was probably still part of it. No I went and tried to up my memory and drawing skills. Learning to use a brush pen more too. I won't bother posting it all because i'm tired right now. Also most of it looks trash. I quickly took a photo of some of the results at the end of the week. This page is all memory/imagination, no ref.

Here are some studies focusing on detail. I have a whole new appreciation for people like linran now. Before I did somthing like this, I always had this stupid idea in the back of my mind that I knew was probably false, that if i just spended heaps of time on a study with a good photo, I could get somthing half decent to compare to linran. I was right, that was extremely false.

And here's some prep work for the new Bloodsports. I might only get something half decent by the deadline, but I realize now that I have never done any character art / card art pieces before, and considering I want that job, i need to be getting to do more of these. So if I like where there going, I'm defiantly pushing till i get my best pieces yet. If not, I need to brief myself and get some out there.

That's this week, see ya's next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 week update because it was down last week when I went to upload.

I've been using this program for the past 2 weeks and abit https://habitrpg.com/ . Its pretty good, managed to get me to stop snoozing most mornings and read facebook every few minutes in the middle of the day. I used to be one of those WoW addicts, so its right up my alley, give it a shot .

So this week. Here's the bloodsports.

Still not done with these, or at least the character one. I screwed up the lighting amongst other things, so some tweaking and polishing and hopefully it'll make a nice port piece and I can finally get some work.

As for the new bloodsports, I'm so not sure if i can do it. Theres so much I want to do, like animal anatomy which I still keep only doing like once a fortnight. Dan and Dave had to get fucking Wes Burt didn't they. If I come up with a good idea, maybe i'll try squeeze in somthing simple but done well. Otherwise, I think i'm going to give myself permission to miss it.

Revisiting anatomy. Going to be doing a lot of back to basic information type stuff. Latin names and connections revisited, make sure i pick up all the info i have forgotten/ failed to pick up the first go round.

Doing these new 2 hr timelimit sketches. Got carried away with the last one, put another couple hours into that, but i'ts definatlly forcing me to face the facts. I still have shit all visual library/memory for detail outside the face which i just did last week. But I am realizing me getting heavy into film and all that anime I watched is more than enough in terms of illustrative storytelling. So here's to putting in the work and memorizing what stuff looks like.

Some more figures testing workflows for sketches

Self-portrait I did on a whim. I was actually disappointed when it zoomed way out, some of the values round the mouth merge together and it looks weird. Makes it a less than ideal facebook profile pic but it'll be awhile before i bother to change it.

15 minute color studies. I find the time limit quite meditative, its sometimes way longer and sometimes way shorter than I expect. At any rate, I'm amazed it took me this long to find this director. If you can recognize it already, congrats , but for everyone else its Makoto Shinkai, and the anime movie i did the studies from is called Byousoku 5 Centimeter. I've seen a few of his works now, and they are all visual amazement for my personal tastes. Every single light effect is exaggerated, bloom, lense flare, color bleed, and his palette is almost designed to maximize temperature contrast. Looking at my Aria fanart, its pretty much what I was trying to accomplish unknowingly. So yeah, it would defiantly not be a waste of time to check him out.

Finished with this for portfolio. Hopefully i can finally get some work off it. I think i really just need to work on sending out more emails? I sent out a bunch, but I'm thinking I just don't realize the amount of work i need to put in in not doing work to get work.

That's all this week, thanks for looking/reading if you did, see ya next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So not that much this week, slacked off a little. Thought I was just getting randomly depressed for no reason, but thinking it over just now, realized it was probably not seeing any friends for a week. Solved that :D! Most of the time was spent mindlessly doodling while watching every episode of Community again. I seriously questioned watching the 4th season, and I think i regret watching it so far. I feel like you can defiantly feel Dan Harmon being missing, but it could just be because I have so much respect for the guy. Btw if you haven't seen the series, you're missing out on what I think is one of the best tv series of all time, or at least the most well written. If any series shows that the only thing that really matters in storytelling is characters, and the interesting use of them, its Community.

So here's this week

So i tried to study http://mojgan.cghub.com/ , because i kinda wanted to understand how that sort of effect he does with the color chose works. And I think I kinda understand it, it involves the darkest dark's being highly saturated, the reflected light being highly saturated cool against a relatively desaturated complement, and in the lights same kind of relationship between the speculars and the local, except more pastel than the shadow side. It was working out in my study, but I found the more I worked it the more it broke down. I have 2 ideas how that happened, either I lost concentration, and so started putting down colors to try to 'fix them', as opposed to trusting my theory, or it only works when kept to broad strokes and shapes, or the theory is wrong. I need to try again, make sure it wasn't an execution error.

More 15 min color studies. I think I'm slacking off with these. I think I'm letting myself be really bad while just giving the excuse that the time limit will mean they look crap. Need to step it up.

More sketches ~2mins-2hrs. I think its starting to be detrimental to learning, I'm not good enough yet to make a 'finished' sketch in the timelimit, which is my goal. Need to think about it more, perhaps do some small stuff I can 'finish' fast, then see how fast I can 'sketch' it. That sentence probably makes sense to no one but me xD. I'll probably consult Anthony Jones's streams again to think about this, he has good ideas about speed I think.

That's all the digital stuff, for the pencil, just imagine a bunch of bad copies of kim jung gi sketches and dark souls designs :D. See ya next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K so this week, the smallest of updates. The forgivable reasons as always are drawing alot on paper studying dark souls designs and this red ink teacher guy http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=59317 . I got the link from http://eyecager.tumblr.com/ , which is still my favourite tumblr which I will keep telling anyone who listens to visit. I've come to really like studying design/construction/memory stuff using pen/mechpencil, because I feel when I do it on the computer I don't commit to lines and stuff, so I can just erase till it looks right. I'm also still studying anatomy with echroche stuff, but read previous post why i'm not posting it.

The unreasonable reasons for small update, I got this game called Monaco on a whim, and played that abit with friends. Almost finished it so soon that will be out of the way. The other reason was Eva 3.33, had a viewing party with friends. Unfortunately, the movie failed to meet expectations (it failed spectacularly), but that took up most of a day. Then I wanted to watch norcal regionals, a fighting game tournament... I promise next week, less slacking :(.

So, here's the little I will bother showing.

Some more workflow tests. I think I have something I like for extremely quickly painting something emphasizing drawing and making it read.

More 15 min color studies. This time the coolest Chinese kekai kotaki, zhong feng hua.

Pushing that sketch further. I'm not feeling it though so this might be as far as I take it. I found something else I wanna push to finish anyway. I'm starting to realize I need some kind of long term project if I want to push myself to make finished works. I wish one of my friends was a sick writer.

Well that's this week, I promise heaps of work back to productivity next week. There's only like 4 more missions left in Monaco to play...

Members who have read this thread: 3