Model Figure for studying anatomy
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Model Figure for studying anatomy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Model Figure for studying anatomy

I have manged to get a month (with a possible extra 2 weeks as well) off work to do some serious study but I can only make 1 life drawing class a week. Since I am going to be doing some intense anatomy study over the time I was wondering what your opinions were on getting one of these. Everyone says drawing from observation is the way to go so I was thinking drawing from these rather than just my anatomy books would be a massive aid.

http://www.anatomytools.com/prmfv2-1-6scale-p515.php

http://www.anatomytools.com/anmfv2-1-6scale-p516.php

I was just wanting your honest opinion on whether this is just an expensive luxury for a beginner like me because it more a tool for the advanced artist or whether it will really help me out studying because I will be drawing a lot more from observation in my study this way.

Also if you do think it would be useful which of the two would be better to go for? It might seem obvious that the skinless one is better because the muscles are clear but with the other one I would use an anatomy book to work things out form the surface forms the same way I would from life drawing and drawing from photos.

Thanks in advance

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it depends on what your eventual goals are. This is just one kind of object from potential millions. Anatomy is important but it's not the ONLY thing in the world, and I notice that your sketchbook has very few environment studies and still lifes in it. Are naked people the only thing you are ever going to want to draw?

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Vineris. Actually I want to mainly do environments (I think maybe possibly ) and maybe creatures and so you are absolutely right there really isn't any environment study. However the 6 weeks off I will be doing much more than just anatomy in my timetable with lots of still lives too and other things too. Its going to be pretty intense. Its just I want to concentrate on fundamentals before jumping to a more solid environment art study and using figures is really helping me get a grasp of them.

So my goals are more along those lines but being relatively comfortable with the figure and anatomy construction is definitely important to me and its my currently main but not only focus. I feel I am very much still quite early on in my study so I don't want too narrow a scope just yet.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't get one of these tools, for one, they are very expensive and for two, how often do you need to draw someone standing there stiffly?

And it's never too early to draw environments. For inspiration look at what these guys are up to:http://www.urbansketchers.org/

You can also visit a zoo or a farm and draw animals.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know how much mileage you'd get from drawing an anatomical model over and over... Doing gestures of live people on the street might be more useful over all. Plus you can combine that with environments - people IN an environment!

If you just need a 3D anatomy reference, a much cheaper alternative is the "L'Ecorche" app (assuming you have a tablet. I think it's available for iPad and Android now.) It's not an actual physical model, but it's excellent as a reference because you can rotate things and see all sides.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    Everyone says drawing from observation is the way to go so I was thinking drawing from these rather than just my anatomy books would be a massive aid.
    Not really. These are better as handy reference on the muscles, than as a drawing model. Draw real people instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Save yourself a lot of money and draw the real thing, maybe just your own body. Do overlays, i.e. put a sheet of tracing paper on top of it and draw bones and muscles, using a good reference with feedback from others to get everything right. If you want, label everyhing...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to clarify since it might not have been clear in my original post that I am STILL going to my life drawing classes. I'm still doing my gesture drawing when I am out and about. Its not supposed to replace them in any way. I'm not going to be drawing it like a life model over and over, nothing like that!!

Its for when I am at home and learning something specific like for an arm instead of just using the illustrations of a deltoid and bicep and tricep I would be drawing from the figure and constructing using the methods in the book. Its not like I'm using it for pose reference or anything.

I actually have that app Queen Gwen and its awesome. I just figured drawing something physical in front of me is supposed to be better.

My Sketchbook

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's a cool toy, if you have the bucks, go for it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup its defiantly that Elwell. Probably super useful for a working comic book artist or someone like that. Not convinced if I get it that it would just still only be a cool toy for me though.

My Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think its something that might be a little more practical for the working artist than for a student, imo. this is the sort of thing id like to have in front of me for quick on the fly reference...ie figuring out a bit of lighting,working out landmark and proportion issues or just needing to draw specific details at odd angles. issues that might arise as im working on something. im thinking of getting it myself..

Members who have read this thread: 1