Do you think nudity in art can affect a persons sexuality?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I was wondering about this the other day. Going to drawing classes, constantly seeing human beings nude and studying them, or just looking at a lot of art containing nudity - could it psychologically affect a persons libido or a persons view on sexuality in any kind of way? If anybody knows of any good articles related to this, please post them.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No. Definitely no.

DEVIANTART -:|:- FACEBOOK -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Y'know, there are and have been whole cultures where people see each other nude all the time. As far as I can tell, it's never made them any different from people anywhere else.

Plus outside of America and certain other conservative countries, you can find plenty of pictures of naked people all over the place in art, ads, comics, and other popular media. The whole idea that seeing naked people is in any way damaging is mostly due to puritanical tendencies brought on by religious zealots in places like the US.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Probably. At least, when your sexuality is still being developed. I don't know how malleable it is once you are an adult. But then every other thing you experience in life is also probably messing with you. Do you ever stand in a store in the produce aisle and watch someone picking out peppers and wonder whether it's affecting your sexuality? Or how about advertising -- most of those ads are explicitly trying to mess with your brain to get you to buy stuff. Do you ever wonder if deodorant commercials are screwing with your sexuality? I think that looking at naked people in art is one of the LEAST of our worries, you know? Because like... naked people. They're pretty normal. But using sexual suggestion to try and form an attachment between you and shampoo, that's kinda fucked up.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It can't. American and some other cultures' hatred of nudity is a recent aberration.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm American and I love nudity everywhere except on my favorite chair.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Probably. At least, when your sexuality is still being developed.
    PROBABLY NOT. I grew up around hippies, I saw naked people all the time from day one, I don't think it did anything to me. Or if anything, it made me more sane and healthy and willing to accept people and their bodies and my body as what they are than if I'd been constantly told that nudity was shameful when I was growing up.

If you ask me, people trying to make kids ashamed of their own bodies is MUCH more of a thing to worry about than seventeen+ year olds drawing nudes.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes. It will make you realize that nudity in itself is has nothing to do with sex, it's just the way people look without clothes.

In todays society the only time we view other people naked is generally in sexual situations. This conditions us to think they're one and the same. So I think going to nude life drawing classes is a very healthy thing for your view on sexuality.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I knew I shouldn't have taken my son life drawing when he was 12. Explains so much - like how he's (mostly) normal for a 17yo now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    PROBABLY NOT. I grew up around hippies, I saw naked people all the time from day one, I don't think it did anything to me. Or if anything, it made me more sane and healthy and willing to accept people and their bodies and my body as what they are than if I'd been constantly told that nudity was shameful when I was growing up.
    #1: Change is not necessarily negative. You're describing a potential possible change in you while simultaneously saying "change is probably not happening". Make up your mind!
    #2: Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    But using sexual suggestion to try and form an attachment between you and shampoo, that's kinda fucked up.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I doubt it's affected my sexuality, but being used to seeing nudity from an academic perspective does take away some of the impact it appears to have on other people. I find it very strange how seriously other people in my country respond to nudity (while being totally fine with ultra-violence).

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallPoly View Post
    I find it very strange how seriously other people in my country respond to nudity (while being totally fine with ultra-violence).
    You're forgetting the constant issue over videogame violence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    You're forgetting the constant issue over videogame violence.
    But movie violence is apparently A-OK... And real-life violence against women and furriners and "people-who-aren't-like-us" is apparently okay, too.

AMERICA IS WEIRD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're forgetting the constant issue over video game violence.
    I'm not, though I did expect someone to bring it up.

Video game violence falls more under "fear of newfangled thing corrupting our youth" than anything else. The same standards are not applied with nearly as much enthusiasm to Movies, news reports, aggressive full-contact sports, war re-enactments, going to actual war and doing some actual killing, or playing pool (which starts with P and that rhymes with T and that stands for trouble).

The reaction to nudity, on the other hand, transcends most kind of media and turns something as seemingly inconsequential as a blurry nipple being displayed on screen for a few seconds into a national scandal, years in court, millions in legal fees, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential fines (which in this case were ultimately thrown out).

27. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    And real-life violence against women and furriners and "people-who-aren't-like-us" is apparently okay, too.
    ...Huh!?

Video game violence falls more under "fear of newfangled thing corrupting our youth" than anything else. The same standards are not applied with nearly as much enthusiasm to Movies, news reports, aggressive full-contact sports, war re-enactments, going to actual war and doing some actual killing, or playing pool.
    Anyway, ever heard of the Video Nasties? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasty ...Though, that only happened to the British.

I'll have to concede for this one.

The reaction to nudity, on the other hand, transcends most kind of media and turns something as seemingly inconsequential as a blurry nipple being displayed on screen for a few seconds into a national scandal, years in court, millions in legal fees, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential fines (which in this case were ultimately thrown out).
    You have to back that one up if you can really use a term like national scandal...but then I remembered the crap over the Super Bowl Janet Jackson thing and the really creepy obsession the paparazzi and consumers have over wardrobe malfunctions and the like.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 18th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyway, ever heard of the Video Nasties? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasty ...Though, that only happened to the British.
    I hadn't heard of it before, but I did find that interesting. It seems like it shared some of the same trends that have been going on presently with video games. Also reminds me of the Hays Code and the Comics Code.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...Huh!?
    I dunno, seems like every other thing in the news these days is some crazy redneck/teabaggers/Newt Gingrich/other idiots justifying why it's okay for them to gang-rape or beat or otherwise abuse women/beat up or throw death threats at gays/shoot a black kid because he's black/etc etc etc...

Oh, and the 22 republicans opposing the Violence Against Women act. There's that. That's just one big case of "WHY!??"

And us going to war with everybody and their dog for no good reason, of course. There's always that.

Or maybe I should just stop reading news articles for a while. The past year has left me extremely pissed off at large portions of this country. There are some states these days you can't pay me to visit...

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try watching this documentary of a man who was raised as a girl, because his penis was accidentally
    cauterized when he was being circumcised (male genitalia brutality much?) yet he didn't feel like a woman,
    far from it he was attracted to them.

Also there's evidence that masses of cells in the brain are responsible for our sexuality, hence heterosexuals,
    homosexuals, transsexuals etc. It all seems to be perfectly natural, and it happens, the way brown, blue and
    green eyes do.

So, from what the indications are...no, looking at the naked human form won't affect your sexuality. If
    anything, you won't fear the beauty of the human body, the way religion does...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HfAhLuZZ5o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexually_dimorphic_nucleus

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    Try watching this documentary of a man who was raised as a girl, because his penis was accidentally
    cauterized when he was being circumcised (male genitalia brutality much?) yet he didn't feel like a woman,
    far from it he was attracted to them.

Also there's evidence that masses of cells in the brain are responsible for our sexuality, hence heterosexuals,
    homosexuals, transsexuals etc. It all seems to be perfectly natural, and it happens, the way brown, blue and
    green eyes do.
    But there's also clear evidence that some people's sexuality is affected by external factors. Look at something like, say, a shoe fetish. A human brain might have gender orientation and sexual preference encoded in it in the womb, sure. There is plenty of evidence to support that. But before birth the human brain can't know that something like a shoe exists in the outside world. So at some point, in the lives of at least some people, their sexuality MUST be affected by the external world otherwise things like fetishes would not exist. They may be born with a tendency to fixate on an object, sure, but they can't genetically know what that object is going to be. Likewise, on a smaller scale you may be born a woman who prefers women, but being attracted to redheads who smoke has to be something that happens to you after you encounter redheads and cigarettes.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

34. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by z01ks View Post
    I was wondering about this the other day. Going to drawing classes, constantly seeing human beings nude and studying them, or just looking at a lot of art containing nudity - could it psychologically affect a persons libido or a persons view on sexuality in any kind of way? If anybody knows of any good articles related to this, please post them.
    As empty and psychopathic as it may sound, in life sessions, I usually have one eye on the clock and I'm just working at getting better at interpreting the human form as best as I can in the allotted time.

My grim unfeeling "look of measurement" will occasionally cause a model to who makes eye contact to break down and snicker for a few moments. . .

But, that woman in those Progressive Insurance ads? I WANT her, badly. . .even though she's fully clothed. . .and even though she's pretty damn annoying. . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But there's also clear evidence that some people's sexuality is affected by external factors. Look at something like, say, a shoe fetish. A human brain might have gender orientation and sexual preference encoded in it in the womb, sure. There is plenty of evidence to support that. But before birth the human brain can't know that something like a shoe exists in the outside world. So at some point, in the lives of at least some people, their sexuality MUST be affected by the external world otherwise things like fetishes would not exist. They may be born with a tendency to fixate on an object, sure, but they can't genetically know what that object is going to be. Likewise, on a smaller scale you may be born a woman who prefers women, but being attracted to redheads who smoke has to be something that happens to you after you encounter redheads and cigarettes.
    Sure I won't disagree. I just didn't take it as far, I kept my thoughts more around the realm of sexuality geared towards preference
    of sex, not fetishes.

I suppose preferences in that degree follow a different set of rules, maybe the interaction between cause of pleasure in our primal
    brain and the reasons we associate the pleasure with, in our modern brain. But then again it may be hard to determine what the case
    is because the brain works in some cases, from what I understand, in a way that can be characterized as precognitive. What seems to
    happen is that centers in our primal brain call for pleasure hormone (dopamine) to be release before the effect we connect with pleasure
    occurs. So, it's kinda like a weird paradox, what came first the egg or the chicken?

That being said (and such data makes the brain and all these issues seem even more interesting, and we will get definitive answers
    some day) I never saw a human being who claimed to have been born with a user manual, so to give the hardcore puritans some food
    for thought, under that prism, even a kiss is a perversion!

But hey, if looking at nude models while you draw, get's you both the skill you want to obtain, and a mood for a particular kind of
    nipple, it's all the better isn't it?

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Being exposed to nudity will desensitize you to it (or, looking at it from the other perspective, living in a society where nudity is taboo makes you very sensitive to nudity when you do encounter it). But I don't think lifedrawing classes will affect your sexuality because they are very nonsexual. The discussion concerning media is different because in those situations, nudity or partial nudity is used in intentionally arousing ways to get your attention which can over long periods of exposure change what you associate with sexual arousal.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Croquis turned me asexual.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not only are life drawing classes nonsexual, they're about as unsexy as you can get, short of dissecting cadavers.

Seriously, most of the models and poses and the setting itself are distinct turn-offs, if anything. Plus you're so focused on actually drawing that sex is the last thing you're gonna think about. The first five minutes of your first life drawing session might be awkward, sure, but as soon as you start drawing, you're WAY more nervous about getting the drawing right and whether the teacher is going to come prowling around behind you just when you've made a horrific mistake...

You're more likely to have your sexuality affected by hanging out with other art students, if you ask me.

Or by hanging out with students, period. I mean, come on, having ID crises and episodes of sexual confusion is what college is for. Drawing nudes is the icing on the cake, if anything.

Last edited by QueenGwenevere; February 19th, 2013 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Pope didn't seem to mind it all over his nice ceiling.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bennett View Post
    The Pope didn't seem to mind it all over his nice ceiling.
    Which pope? One of them minded and had clothes painted on.

Though none of them minded the naked Greek statues elsewhere in the Vatican... That place is packed with nudes.

Of course, Popes are not exactly a model of non-sexuality...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

45. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4