A New Direction

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A New Direction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A New Direction

THIS ONE HAS AN UPDATE. Some more recent work for critique on post/reply #10.

For the past 5years I have lived and breathed airbrushing. I was working my butt off to get a custom paint business of the ground and it all became more of a chore than it was worth. This year I decided to venture in a new but old direction. I've always loved drawing so I decided to work up a portfolio of work focused in that direction. I hope to eventually land some illustration work, maybe some galleries and well anything people will actually pay me to create.

Here is the first few pieces. Some direction and productive critic would be awesome.

Name:  Wolf-Web.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  MeadowLark.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  2326387_orig.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  177.8 KB

Name:  Pheasant.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  220.8 KB

Last edited by bradyscott; October 22nd, 2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added some more recent work for critique. Tried to let folks know at beginning of original post.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are awesome. Have you considered going into tattoo design business? That banjo would make a fantastic tattoo. One thing I would mention is the wolf. His legs are all tangled up and don't make sense. I appreciate that it's a completely black silhouette but it would help a great deal if his front paw didn't disappear in mid air.

Blog - Check it out. It's fun.

Sketchbook - I should really update more often.

Portfolio - The most fun of them all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoolhoo View Post
    Have you considered going into tattoo design business? That banjo would make a fantastic tattoo.
    Thank you and yes I have done a tone of tattoo flash for people but I live in a very small midwestern town with only one tattoo shop. I have tried to get an apprenticeship there but there just isn't enough business for more tattoo artists here. An apprenticeship is really the only way to legally get into the business and it is super dangerous and illegal to mess around at your home.

Thanks again for the critic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I love these - the colors are so rich and the shapes are strong.
    Your art feels really honest and good to me.
    No big crits, they all look very round and well done.
    I hope you make it, good luck !

I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The work looks generally good, very clean and professional. My only comment is that you should probably lose the "wolf in the snow" piece---it's not up with the level of your other stuff.

The main problem, having looked at your blog and website, is that you're not showing enough pictures right now. If you want to get illustration or gallery work, you will need a body of 15-20 GREAT pieces, all in the same medium (graphite, oil, digital, or whatever) and in a coherent style. Anyone who is going to pay you to make art will want to know you're capable of producing consistent, professional product---no surprises. (That also means getting rid of the "writing" and "music" sections on your website--if you want to start separate businesses doing that, you should set up separate sites.)

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    The work looks generally good, very clean and professional. My only comment is that you should probably lose the "wolf in the snow" piece---it's not up with the level of your other stuff.

The main problem, having looked at your blog and website, is that you're not showing enough pictures right now. If you want to get illustration or gallery work, you will need a body of 15-20 GREAT pieces, all in the same medium (graphite, oil, digital, or whatever) and in a coherent style. Anyone who is going to pay you to make art will want to know you're capable of producing consistent, professional product---no surprises. (That also means getting rid of the "writing" and "music" sections on your website--if you want to start separate businesses doing that, you should set up separate sites.)

Good luck.
    Thank you for your honesty and advice. I'm actually trying to steer my art into a more artistic loose direction like the wolf piece. I know the wolf image isn't as clean as the other works, but it feels better to me. The process feels more organic and my instinct is telling me to loosen up. I have a pretty substantial portfolio of airbrush work from the past 5 years at www.saltcitycreative.net. I pushed hard to really grasp the medium, but more and more my eye and my instincts are pushing me to be a little messy. My whole life I've had a very anal eye towards precision and detail. This served me well in airbrushing, but for now at least I'm throwing it out and pushing myself to let go and loosen up.

As far as the music and writing on my site too. I did put allot of thought into not having it on my site, but it won out because music has such a role in my life and art. I love to play and make music just as much as I love making art. The ideas for songs come from the same place my artistic ideas come from. Also, I would love to get some illustration and art work for musicians. I could be wrong by not focusing completely on illustration and fine art work, but I've got to follow my instinct. Hope it's not too far off.

Thank you again for the advice and information and bets of luck to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,520 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    Good luck.
    This. Or rather these.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    This. Or rather these.
    Thanks, I'm working on getting new/more work to display

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another drawing for critique. Finished up this weekend. Charcoal and pastel on watercolor paper.

Name:  BanjoWeb-small.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  73.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newer Work for Critique

Name:  Day-of-The-Dead-Art-Web.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  160.6 KB

Name:  Razor-Rooster-Web.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  165.1 KB

Name:  Bull-Skull-Art-Flowers-Web.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  Blue-Owl-Print.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  719.4 KB

Name:  Ralp-Stanley-Drawing-Web.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  122.2 KB

It's been a while since my last post and I'd love to get some feedback on these new pieces. I"m trying to move more into painting. All of these are acrylic on canvas expect for the last one which is a watercolor and charcoal color study for the painting I am working on right now. I'm trying to render some areas very smooth and realistic and leave other areas more abstract. I let the paint run and drip and do what it does, then refine other areas.

About to start a series of portraits of some of my favorite old-time/bluegrass musicians. Any critiques would be a great help.

Thanks and happy painting everyone!

-Brady

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Neat work, but you have to watch for mistakes, especially when it comes to painting people. In that last one it feels like you did everything piecemeal because any individual bit looks pretty good, but when you look at the whole thing together you fudged the way that the individual pieces connect. As a result the guy's right hand looks good and his right shoulder looks good, but because you fudged the foreshortening on the upper arm it looks like his arm is one third the length of his left arm. And even the left arm doesn't look quite right. It's okay to have some parts more loose and abstract, but it all comes together to produce one impression and unless you're careful that impression might be different than you intended.

Likewise that owl looks kinda goofy and cartoony for such a stylized pose. Its beak seems out of proportion and its eyes are too close together, giving it a grumpy rather than menacing look. And okay, owls look pretty grumpy when they're sitting on a branch, but they sure don't look that way when they're flying at you!

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.