Character Designs based on Rune Scape IP

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character Designs based on Rune Scape IP

I posted this a few minutes ago but it doesn't seam to be showing up...

Hi,

Quick over view of who i am and what i do, i'm final year concept student based in Stafford, uk and i'm working on my dissertation. My dissertation is a modular character design based on a pre defined IP and the IP i have chosen is RuneScape. i plan on having a character modelled, textured and modulised and also working within the UT3 Engine... depends on how it goes.

So far i have gotten quite far with the work in regards to the concept stage but i would love some feedback.

Just to make it clear i'm creating one character with 4 armour sets to apply to that character, Mage, Knight, Berserker and Archer.

so far completed the silhouette stage and the grey scale stage.
    16 silhouettes for each type
    Character Designs based on Rune Scape  IP

and the broken down to 8 for grey scale.

i'll post more in the next few days.

Feedback is welcome!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Denvir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thread approved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks i didn't know threads had to be approved so sorry for the 2nd thread!

So skin tone, for the time being i'm using block colour party because Runescape style and party for speed.

i started work on the colour theory for the character design but came across a problem with skin tone, if i'm keeping the character the same from base level i need to chose a base skin toen for the character. ofcourse this can be changed later on and then just do some fine tuning to the main colours to get them to work better with the skin.

i'm using the Mage character for reference as this design is one of the strongest and is probably going to be apart of my final designs. personally i prefer the 2 on the right. i might have to work out a system to change the characters skin tone in the final model.

more updates to come, almost finished up the colour theory just need to pick out final designs for each character, something i have been playing with is the idea of creating one set but being able to change the colour of each set so say i create a Mage out fit that can be ether blue, brown, green or pink, though this requires a lot more coding within engine...

as always feedback is welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by LaCan; July 14th, 2014 at 06:35 AM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LaCan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My new favourite quote "Who messed with my soup?!" haha!
    but yes your very right LaCan, and that was the initial design process i took

i started with posing the character for each design I wanted to produce but i got some feedback from industry artist saying that because of the type of final work I want to produce I should use one base silhouette just for speed and also i wont cause myself hell with proportions.

i do also understand what you mean i have tamed things down because of the restriction of the base silhouette. i think for my final designs if required i might flare them back up and push the design a little more once i know what the design should be like.

i'll also probably redesign the archer as the final design i have now are struggling to stand out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a little update on the mage colour work.

name your favourite design! personally i like design 4

i will be putting additional rune detailing onto the final character design along with fabric textures and shading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Berserker

as always feedback is welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read your mages like they are thiefs or monks... I don't know if it's because they often have no sleeves on they forearms but they look more agile than some of your warriors. Maybe some tatoo to add a mistic part ?

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for the feedback and looking at them they kind of do, but the tattoos is a cool idea i was planning on adding extra stuff onto the final designs but i hadn't decided what to add in...

The Berserkers are meant to look heavy and cumbersomeness, the knights are meant to to look a little more agile than the berserker. do you think that the knights are too heavy in design?

also the knight designs, the pink design was just for some fun was fed up of looking at greens and browns and reds...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest, I dont feel a lot of difference between your knights and your berserkers.

Let me explain a little : currently, they all have the same numbers of armors part everywhere on the body, the bersekers who is supposed to be heavier do not have anything that acutaly look heavy or that can restrain his movements. If you mix one of you berserker in the middle of the knight, it's the same. Also, they share a lot the european medieval style so it's more difficult to identify one or another.

There is a general issue with the armors parts, I don't think they could "work" because they just can't articulate well. I think you sould try before going further more to do some research about all armors style in the olds age, including the current fantasy armors and create a folder for each (berseker and knight) where you put all your inspiration. That will help you to see what "type" of style (european, middle oriental, oriental, african, other...) you feel will suit the class the more and can be usefull to understand how the piece come and articulate with each others.

Here for your knight for example, the only one I feel it can work is the bottom left, because there is "something" that remember a real suit and this is the only one where the poor guy will not kill himself by rising is arm

Name:  kcolour-po.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  218.1 KB

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think i have miss communicated what i meant by berserker, i was aiming more along the lines of http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/art...w=artwork-0007 but with a mix of Runescape which is normally quite basic in shape. your right both berserker and knight are very similar and i am trying to find a bigger gap between them.

i think i'll take design 7 from the beserker and change it to work more towards my reference i just need to make sure it still fit in the rune scape IP. same with the knight i didn't take into account the movement of the character. Design 5 and 6 personally are the ones i don't like they fit more towards the archer design but that is possibly because of the colour theory i used... yes they work but i think there is more potential in design 3 i just needs more work.

i have finished the archer designs but i think i'll do the same with the designs as i'm not happy with the final outcome.

again thank you for the feedback it has been an eye opener! i'll post more tomorrow once i have finished one of the designs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow its been sometime since i have uploaded anything partly because i haven't had much time to work on this project...

so the archer designs

again feedback is welcome i'm still in the process of finishing some of the final designs i need to rework some areas of the designs the feedback has been great and i'm open to more i'll upload the final design in the next few days

Members who have read this thread: 1