Which youtube videos can help my drawing?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Which youtube videos can help my drawing?

There are so many tutorials, id like to know which ones are actually useful and can be dependable as an educational tool.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There is one thing that can help your drawing: it is drawing.

You are not drawing while you are watching videos.

You can look up demos by artists who you know are good, but they mostly are useful just for looking at how they work. If they explain their thinking process, it can be more enlightening. Occasionally you can glean a good trick or two, but overall I'd not rely on videos.

Especially because Youtube is full of demos and "tutorials" by people who haven't got a clue.

Books provide the same information, but in more concentrated and accessible form. Stick with books, and above all, practice, practice, practice.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a small playlist in my profile. Just a bunch of speedpaintings and stuff, nothing serious or even useful, but fun to watch. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7CC35DBDE446296A

DEVIANTART -:|:- BLOG -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- GOOGLE+ -:|:- FACEBOOK |:::| Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should check proko in youtube.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with macartist. Look up proko.
    Also check out Matt Kohr´s videos at ctrlpaint.com. Under video library.
    Bonus tips (not video):
    Gurney Journey
    Muddy Colors

SSG: Knarf - BRINKMAN! - crabbyclem - eminkey2003 - Mumph

"Failure is an option, fear is not."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stan Prokopenko knows what he's doing (trained at Watts Atelier afaik) and his videos are just very nicely done.

Why people seem to have forgotten how to use a damned book I will never get though. You need to be able to read to use youtube, so they're not illiterate, then how is it that when something is printed on paper people switch their brains off?!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    You need to be able to read to use youtube
    Barely, if you go by the evidence of the comments.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tutorials are certainly good for learning how to use tools, though. Matt Kohr's site is one of the best for learning to use Photoshop. I've learned so much stuff that was sitting under my nose for years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Stan Prokopenko knows what he's doing (trained at Watts Atelier afaik) and his videos are just very nicely done.

Why people seem to have forgotten how to use a damned book I will never get though. You need to be able to read to use youtube, so they're not illiterate, then how is it that when something is printed on paper people switch their brains off?!
    To be fair, especially where art is concerned, many people learn better if they can see something demonstrated rather than trying to understand concepts or instructions through words. I love books and I have no shortage of art books. However, I understand practical things such as techniques much better if I am able to watch a video or attend a class so that I can see it. A difference in learning style doesn't mean lower intelligence.

Though in general I agree that people should read more books.

Back on topic, while his videos are about multiple subjects around concept art including painting and design and not just drawing, you should nevertheless check out Feng Zhu: http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL/videos?view=0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkeley View Post
    To be fair, especially where art is concerned, many people learn better if they can see something demonstrated rather than trying to understand concepts or instructions through words. I love books and I have no shortage of art books. However, I understand practical things such as techniques much better if I am able to watch a video or attend a class so that I can see it. A difference in learning style doesn't mean lower intelligence.
    [/url]
    You're right of course (I do seem to remember Jeffrey Watts stating in one of his DVDs that drawing is a visual skill and much easier to teach visually than verbally), but unfortunately that's not the reality of what those videos are used for by the majority of viewers. That's my personal view anyway, I have no hard data to back this up, but my impression is that the myriad of youtube tutorials are used mainly for procrastinating (and feeling good about procrastinating) rather than as an actual learning tool.

Reading isn't that hard, thinking is. I guess that's to a certain extent the problem with books. Watching an instructor draw seems to require no thinking. Just let it wash over you, lesson learned. It's an illusion of course. I have found that if I really want to take away something from a video or real life lesson, it takes just as much thinking and attention as does learning from a book.
    Unless you're willing to put that amount of work in (and being unable or unwilling to read instructional books is a good indicator for the inability to do so), all the videos in the world aren't going to do you any good.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1