[WIP] Soulstone. Could use some direction to finish this one.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: [WIP] Soulstone. Could use some direction to finish this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[WIP] Soulstone. Could use some direction to finish this one.

I am getting to a point with this one that I could use some crits and possible direction on where to take this piece.

This is my second painting and my first acrylic, so it has been quite fun learning as I go. Really had no idea where I was taking this one as it started out as a abstract background and just kind of morphed from there.

Here is what I have so far....

Name:  soulstone-single.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  362.9 KB

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with the large canisters that are coming out the jaw/neck area. I'd like to have some ambient lighting from the power sources on his head and the soulstone (blue in the middle).

Appreciate any and all help!

Last edited by Virtuoso Neophyte; February 19th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would ask yourself, "what is it that I want the viewer to look at in this piece?" If it is the soul stone in the middle, bump its brightness up and darken the surroundings. Make it the only source of light and then think about where the light that emanates from it, would touch, and highlight those surfaces accordingly. The mood of the piece would completely change if you made it dark, covered over the red and green and then lit the skull from below in an eerie blue light.

Think about where you want your viewers to look and where their attention should be and make it the focal point of the painting by detailing it more of having its light values the most contrasting. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 1