Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CHoW#318 :: The Battlefield Butcher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  butcher_rough.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  41.2 KB
    Rough sketch on paper this time. still have to decide on weapons and armor helmet is decided .. but i feel there's something wrong with the pic... sorry i'm not a professional artist just a guy interested in art.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ozzymaru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are looking great guys!

Here's what I got so far.

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Quinn Simoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @KJK - Really awesome . I really thought that was his face at first but that's his helmet. Really cool and nice. Although you might wanna redo the skin and his injuries as the theme suggest that he shouldn't be "Injured" or "Hurt". Although those injuries look more like decaying flesh , which makes him kinda undead. I love it though.

@Pixelturner - I like the whole brave muscular warrior thing , which is indeed cliche a bit but at the same time , the dynamic pose and how he just smashes someone really makes it stand out. Cool job so far.

@Mark Tarisse - I really love the rendering of the armor and the pose is pretty dynamic , but you might have to work a bit on the face. Although human , his face is pretty weird. I Mean , i get the scary look but you might wanna redo the hair though. Just a thought.

@paperhead - I dig the details and how he gets heads as trophies , but that is kind of used generally everywhere. I mean , the skulls could be more practical ,as in the heads would just rot on his belt or whatever he keeps them on. Waiting to see where it goes to. Pretty nice.

@ozzymaru - I remember my first days as a beginnig artist. Great times. I used to think all my drawings are good. Until I learnt anatomy, and composition , and about light and how it affects everything. Don't worry. The key word is "PRACTICE". Everyone stresses that out but the truth couldn't be clearer.

@Spellsword - Kind of Dragonborn-ish but the darkness does suggest being menacing. Play more with the light and show more of his ferocity.

@Rustveld - The anatomy is pretty much cool and all , but if you look at it closely,compositionaly speaking , he stands flat out in the middle of the page like a straight line. It looks great and the face portrays the ideea of being feroceous and fearless but still , it doesn't retract from the dullness of the position.

@ardentsideburns - The ideea is cool with the eyeballs but you might want to cut out on the eyes surrounding him. Also , are those swords flung in his back? Shouldn't he be uninjured?

@prepsage - Pretty nice perspective. The weapons are really great and he does look like a butcher. But he doesn't really look human. He looks like an orc , especially with those pointy fingers on his feet. But other than that i love it.

@Quinn - Nice rendering . He kinda reminds me of Goro from Mortal Kombat but that's not a bad thing. But wasn't he supposed to be a human male? He looks like some sort of creature with that mouth. Anyways really nice

Following up with another sketch with the same ideea with the Indian/Tribal madman that hunts people for pleasure, especially at night. I thought that the first ideea was not menacing enough. I felt like the butcher needed to be more intimidating and look batshit crazy. Just being tall or strong doesn't really encompass being a Butcher as much as the fear you strike into your opponents.

Anyways here is the sketch. I think I'll go with this one. Good luck everyone.

Name:  Chow 01-4-01.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  263.5 KB

Last edited by Rostas; February 20th, 2013 at 06:38 AM.

Please visit , comment , critique and have a chat with me

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Butcher..Fast and Efficient Killer..

Name:  BATTLE2 copy.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  354.8 KB

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=kliest

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kliest For This Useful Post:

z0mbi is offline Allergic to Fire and Headwounds Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! My first time doing one of these. Trying to expand my horizons a little bit.

Wanted to get away from the first thing that came to my head, which was a giant sword-wielding barbarian, so I went a bit more modern. A Vietnam War era M-60 machine gunner. The scourge of the battlefield, felling the enemy and the jungle alike with linked belts of 7.62x51mm ammunition firing on full auto, stacking bodies like cord wood. Affectionately referring to his weapon as 'the pig', the warrior who carried one of these heavy machine guns into battle would be a stout and hardy fellow indeed, a bringer of maximum carnage, a battlefield butcher.

progress sketch:
    Name:  BButcher-sketch.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  251.9 KB

update:
    Name:  BButcher-sketch2.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  385.7 KB

Last edited by z0mbi; February 20th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to z0mbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good topic. Think I'll try it out, will certainly get me to thinking about stuff like arms and armor.

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Nobody made good art by coloring in between the lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  ChowWIP2.png
Views: 114
Size:  1.22 MBName:  ChowWIPF.png
Views: 112
Size:  1.32 MBThis is my post So far. I know that I'll need to work on textures, and composition and what not, but i think its a decent start
    i added a lot to this one, i dont think i'll be posting in the finals, but i know that i learned a lot even during this process. i would really appreciate any input that would make this better.

Last edited by aye-lyke-pi; February 23rd, 2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: image was sideways

13. The Following User Says Thank You to aye-lyke-pi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything in this thread is amazing! I wasn't going to enter this thread but the topic was too good to pass up.

Had a tough time coming up with a pose and it's not there 100%, so if you have any critiques I'd love to hear them

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja Adi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arm on the left looks a tad off to me. Just something to think about. Otherwise good start

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Nobody made good art by coloring in between the lines.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AeonPhoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my first WIP. First time doing this! Hope I have time to finish it. Some really cool ideas on here! Keep it up guys!
    Name:  CHOWButcher.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  263.3 KB

Went with a Vietnam time period. Since the character is 7 feet tall I figured he would be able to carry around a m2 browning 50cal without an issue. Had to draw out my basics first. Still new to digital painting so some tips and methods would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to a.marlowe696 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kliest - I kind of get an indigenous butcher that kills people and eats them from that lineart drawing. Some kind of african tribe sending some kind of mad man to hunt missionaries in the jungle for sacrifice lol. great lineart and really dynamic pose.

@ z0mbi - I really love the lineart. It's so smooth and I can't wait to see it clean. Great ideea with the vietnam soldier, although I don't know how that assimilates into "Butcher" . Being nicknamed Butcher is something but being an ACTUAL butcher is something else. A butcher should hunger for blood. He just has the look of a " Don't smoke my cigarettes " rather than " I can't wait to bathe in the blood of my enemies ". Other than that very sweet.

I'd imagine fighting in Vietnam was a gruesome experience for the american soldiers and the allied forces. Some really crazy shit happened there and people we're left mentally incapacitated and horrified of what they've done and saw. You should try and capture that feel in his eyes or expression. That kind of war would tear anybody apart and destroy him psychically.

@ Ninja Adi - Definetly a Conan the Barbarian look. The arms do not look off but the right leg does. It's either my imagination or it seems a bit shorter than the other one. But the pose is a bit stiff. It's because of the symmetrical line-up of the right arm with the right leg. The right arm is lifted , so is the right leg. The left arm is pointed downards, so is the left leg. He kind of looks like a crab in that position.

You should try and make the position a bit more flexible. Having two sides that have the same direction is never dynamic.

Also a warrior that muscular having such a small axe tells a lot about his ... manhood. Haha . I mean , you should equip him with a better suited axe. That looks like a toy in comparison.

Last edited by Rostas; February 20th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Rostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, cool entries so far.
    Here's three more sketches from me.

23. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to paperhead For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks for the quick feedback!

Aeon, I think it looks weird because the muscles aren't correct yet - I'll fix that when I go to paint.

Rostas, I see what you mean about the stiffness and the legs. Hopefully this should fix it? Also gave him a bigger axe so he doesn't need to compensate :p

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja Adi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  butcher1.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  185.1 KB

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Josu-oh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP: Think I'm going to paint over the rider, I like the way the horse is turning out but the same technique isn't working with the rider...

Name:  BB-WIP.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  88.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP: Had a change of heart. Thinking more of a gladiator style rather than military.

Criticism is always welcome.
    Name:  Butcher2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  131.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @paperhead - amazing sketches and really nice linework. I really like the 1st and 2nd one. Cool concepts. Also , esti roman? Asa scrie in Location xD.

@Ninja Adi - Yes , indeed it is better now. Looking forward to seeing more and how you render it. Take your time.

@Josu-oh - Nice punk butcher xD. I can't say anything much at this point , I'll just wait for updates. Cool though. Although I'll do say that chainsaw doesn't look too practical. It seems rather nifty to hold and heavy. I wouldn't know how he'd swing that in battle without breaking his bones from the vibration and the weight lolz. You could try and wrap it around his hand , like a bandage , and but the chainsaw in a orizontal position like a spinning blade on top rather.

@delightful piffle - The horse looks ok although you might wanna work on the horseman more , and also shrink his cape. The hugeness of it would make it rather silly to move and it would burden him from his movements.Also try and contrast that red with some other colors. From what your picture suggest , the background is a desatured red, the ground is red, everything is pretty much red and black. It's kinda monotonous.

Now I'll put an update of my own. This will probably be the penultimate one. I'll either update one more time and put the finished one or just put the finished one after this. Anyways enjoy guys .

Name:  Chow 01-4-02.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  301.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we go, my late start.

This kind of character is definitely right out of my comfort zone, still thinking about what his trophies could be. All critique welcome, I know there's a lot off with this one.

Name:  bull01.png
Views: 398
Size:  192.0 KB

Test Subject #2490
    Concept/Game Artist and Aspiring Storywriter

CA Sketchbook - Portfolio - Sketchblog

32. The Following User Says Thank You to pastasauca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some quick ideas ,

im thinking of going with number 6 since in my head im seeing a space war happening and this old guy has taken hundreds of aliens down on his own.
    very cliche i know, but im really tired of human vs human conflict in the world/ amongst us, i rather kill aliens and insects . . .

paperhead: could you please tell me/us how you got your pencil scans so crisp? how do you make those drawings look like digital ink, because its awesome!!!!

Name:  butech_ideas1.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  234.0 KB

z0mbi is offline Allergic to Fire and Headwounds Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rostas, thank you for the critique. I'm going to take another crack at his face to see if I can induce some of that 'mania' you described. You're totally right about the character needing some level of 'psychosis', my original was too bland. I added some ears, fingerbones, and teeth as trophies, as well.

Here's a bit of a progress update:

Name:  BButcher-sketch3.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  244.1 KB

Last edited by z0mbi; February 21st, 2013 at 05:41 AM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to z0mbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trying to give him more of a monstrous design instead of simply giving him a nonstandard french gunner uniform...
    p.s. does the picture looks too dark?

Name:  battlebutcher2.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  358.4 KB

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ardentsideburns For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AdrianNagorski, my favourite is actually number 1! But I think that might be because of the pose

@ardentsideburns, this is turning out to be a gorgeous piece. I love the action and energy in it. I feel like if the Butcher and eyeballs were brightened up and the background was still kept dull-ish then it would look really cool.

Test Subject #2490
    Concept/Game Artist and Aspiring Storywriter

CA Sketchbook - Portfolio - Sketchblog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice characters guys. Unfortunately I don't think I'll finish mine, best of luck to you all.

AdrianNagorski: after I scan them I open the images in Photoshop and play a bit with the Levels and Shadows/Highlights options in the Image>Adjustments tab.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to paperhead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  battlefield_butcher#1.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  88.5 KB

Hey guys, I thought I'd give it a try, too
    Right now I like most kliests drawing here on page two.. "fast and efficient killer" describes it best I guess. NickyBeats' idea is also cool and Paperheads version is also very good to me.
    Great work so far guys, let's see how it turns out!!

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charmer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ardentsideburns, I really like how the eyes lead the eye.
    Charmer, looks cool, I like the soft red.

Here is a small update, I really dislike the boring pose of the left dude, so I'm playing around with some ideas.

Last edited by Kamiru_; February 21st, 2013 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Done with lines, now comes the fun part!

Name:  BattlefieldButcherWIP2.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  98.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @z0mbi Love your style! Wish I was able to get clean lines like that. I like the Nam style, however, if the butcher is supposed to be 7 ft. tall then that m60 is gigantic. For a guy that big it should look more like a larger rifle.
    @Josu-oh I really like your characters pose. He really fits the part of being a maniac. Great job.

Great job everyone. It looks like I might actually finish the one for this week.
    Name:  Butcher2WIP2.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  310.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketches, everyone! This will be good challenge.

He has no friends...
    Name:  Battlefield butcher copy.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  98.9 KB

DEVIANTART -:|:- BLOG -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- GOOGLE+ -:|:- FACEBOOK |:::| Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spellsword95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  battlefieldbutcher.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  222.4 KB
    WIP will be full colour when its finished hope its not too bland its my first time doing armour and knights

Sketch book: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ession-Journal
    crits and comments welcome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1