Sketchbook: Eric's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eric's Sketchbook

Alright, I'm doing it... Long time lurker (like ten years?), but I'm finally at a point where I want to be a contributor to this community.

I've studied a good deal, taken classes, worked in a few art jobs, but for the past couple years I finally got really sick of my shortcomings and started taking careful aim at improvement.

I also, really enjoy the creative community, and as I only work with one other artist now and can't afford the time for any classes, I'm excited to get some good discussion going here on CA.

My name is Eric, nice to meet you. Thanks for checking out my sketching book here!
    I hope this sketchbook will document some improvement, but mostly I think it'll document me branching out into new territories, new mediums, and maybe doing more creative work instead of all studies (but hopefully continuing the studies, too).

-------------------------------

I'll start with a personal piece I just did over the last week or so. I've been mostly working in Flash for a while at work (before then, Adobe Illustrator), so it's still my weapon of choice. But I think Flash has served as a good bridge for me into more of a digital painting realm and I hope to start doing more work in Photoshop. I hope some follow up posts here will have some quick drawings in PS as I get more accustomed to doing such a thing.

Space man, space lady, space monkey: fun stuff to draw.
    Name:  2013-02-16_FinalSPACEMENS.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  330.5 KB

And some progress stuff to document the challenge:
    Name:  2013-02-16_Sketches.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  301.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Eric, really nice work, you might want to post this in It's Finally Finished as well. One suggestion, if I may, I liked the color of the female character's costume in the color sketch better, making her pants the same color as the shadows on the red spacesuit makes that whole area a little hard to resolve. Actually, I kind of miss her ragged "fishtail" skirt, too, why did you decide to change it?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Elwell! I might post it there as well. I guess I changed the female's costume design because I thought it would be more fun to draw? Frankly, I'm not really sure either. I knew I wanted to do some more fun tech stuff with the fellow's boots and I guess it carried over into the lady's attire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick Morbo study today... just trying to get the hang of Photoshop a bit more.

Name:  Sketch_Morbo.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  188.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work
    Lovin the humor in your latest one as well as the painting style haha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Naonik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some practices tonight... (getting over a brutal sinus infection so noses seemed appropriate subject matter).

I guess it'd be good to define my goals in this sketchbook thread at this point.
    Right now, my main two goals are:
    - Improving in color use and understanding
    - Learning to use Photoshop for digital painting

My sub goals are always:
    -Improving in anatomy
    -Use and understanding of light and value
    -Creating compelling illustration compositions

This was an exercise in blending colors in Photoshop mostly:
    Name:  Sketch_Noses.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  192.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After those practice noses I got really gutsy and wanted to attempt a full portrait... so I asked my wife to sit for me and went cracking. Honestly, I thought I was going to cry at how bad it was yesterday.

This whole thing took about 5 hours in two evenings... with massive anatomical and proportional issues for half of it. Until I sat back down to it tonight, I felt so hindered in Photoshop that I didn't want to try to fix my proportion mistakes. When I opened back up the file, I realized that I just had to.

Anyway, I learned so much from this. I'm getting closer to having a work flow that I'm comfortable with.

Name:  Sketch_Emily.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  139.4 KB

Frankly though, this was such a trial of everything I'm struggling with right now that I might give myself a little break and do some gray scale quick studies for a while to get more comfortable with my new workflow.

Thanks for checking it out. Love and kisses. Later folks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.