Sketchbook: Jackson's Sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jackson's Sketchbook

Hello there, I'm Jackson. I'm 15 years old and I'd like to become a cartoonist someday. I've been drawing quite a bit recently (every day for the past month) and I thought it'd be a good idea to post some of my stuff here. It'll make it easier for me to track my progress and it'll be nice to get some critiques as well. At the moment, I'm not very good at all, but hopefully posting here will change that.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lazyj57; June 17th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to give you an idea of where I'm at, here's some of my work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some work from last week. Sorry about the poor picture-quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of crap...need to work harder, post more frequently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The creation of a great sense of humor, very good works

If you paint only the beautiful, you're telling only half the story.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to paulspaintpot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More figure drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't drawn much this week. Here are some terrible-looking political cartoons I did for a school assignment (my attempt at coloring is pathetic) and a page of figure drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More boring figure drawings and studies...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't been posting very frequently, but I'm working hard and drawing every day. Here are some studies. Sorry about the poor image-quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a very observant eye for someone so young, well done! I've seen too many young people who feel to proud to observe and learn and think they can draw everything by heart without learning about their subject first. You're certainly on the right path.
    Maybe show us a bit more diversity. If you want to be an cartoonist, I'm curious how you adapt your knowledge of anatomy into cartoons. I see a few examples here and there.. but always keep moving towards your objectives if cartoons is your goal. For example, now that you have a basic understanding of anatomy, start exaggerating proportions. There is a surprising amount to be learned from (good) caricature artists. Even if they're a bit gaudy sometimes, caricature artists usually have a good eye for what "defines" a certain person, and exaggerate this to humerous effect. Not to say your stuff has to be "funny" (some cartoons are dead serious), but it's a good source to learn from.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphsix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amphsix: Thank you so much for the kind words and advice! I'll definitely start experimenting more with exaggeration and hopefully it'll make figure drawing easier and more enjoyable.

I recently got a tablet, so I've spent a lot of time drawing digitally. It's almost been a week and I'm still trying to get the hang of this (I'm getting better...slowly, but surely). Using GIMP, I tried drawing Spider-man without reference (too lazy to draw webbing)...not pretty. And there are some studies as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More studies and some copied work (of Ryan Ottley's)...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some copied work, doodles, and studies. Should be posting more digital work soon...hopefully (still getting used to it).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some studies and a small poster I drew for my friend (uncolored and colored...with markers and crayons...).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff was supposed to go up a while ago, but as you know, conceptart was down for a while. It's just some studies and designs for a character i created named "The D' (perverted and immature, I know). Expect to see a comic featuring this character in my next post...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately, I was unable to finish the comic in the last week (didn't have the time...been busy). For now, here are some studies and doodles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The comic is nearly done. Here are some panels along with some doodles (please forgive the handless Batman drawing...it was intentionally done in a short amount of time) and a page of studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished drawing the D-comic, all I need to do is letter it and box the drawings into panels.

Last edited by Lazyj57; June 13th, 2013 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay dude. First of all, nice work. You seem to be doing plenty of anatomy studies, especially concerning the torso and the underlying musculature. I applaud you for this and think you should keep doing this, however...

make sure you are applying this knowledge to your personal work. In some of your most recent images, it seems like your anatomy practice has gone out the window. Applying what you know to your personal work is the fastest way to improve. If you don't know what something should look like, don't be afraid to use or create a reference for yourself.

Another thing I noticed is that even your studies seem very stiff and motionless. If you want to improve this, I would suggest trying to draw the body as one continuous form instead of a series of connected limbs and appendages. Try and find lines and curves in the form, and really make yourself picture the forces acting on the body. When you combine this with a solid anatomical foundation, you will have some excellent work indeed.

Also, this is a helpful book which was recently suggested to me by another CA member: "Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aburnier: Thank you for the response and great cc, I really appreciate it. Applying studies to my personal work has always been a challenge and to be honest, pure laziness is hugely responsible for that (I really need to push myself and go out of my comfort zone more often). When drawing the figure in it's entirety as one continuous form, I have difficulty keeping my proportions in check and I often spend more time erasing errors than actually drawing (usually ends up looking like one big scribble that bears little resemblance to the human figure). This can be very messy and very frustrating, as you can imagine, and it's difficult to stay motivated throughout the process. That's why I've avoided it, but now I will definitely practice it more often. I'll make sure to check that book out as well. Thank you again!

Was going to post this last week, but had some issues with CA. Here are some old studies and sketches, I'll post my more recent work sometime soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of crappy, messy, unfinished stuff...much of it was done quickly because I was trying to focus less on making my work look pretty and more on actually learning. I've posted more of my personal work so you can see where I am in terms of my understanding of anatomy. Still struggling (a lot) with stiffness...

Last edited by Lazyj57; July 7th, 2013 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick post. Finished this He-man doodle (all but the hand...realized that as I was posting).It looks pretty crappy, but I'm getting better (used reference fewer times than usual). Still having a hard time transferring my understanding of anatomy from studies to my personal work. Things just look stiff and the limbs are connected in an odd manner...oh well. The demon-creature-thing is lifting bushes if you couldn't tell...

Last edited by Lazyj57; July 12th, 2013 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to make my posts a bit shorter hehe. Attached are some Loomis Studies along with studies of the torso and the hand. Still trying to improve my understanding of anatomy....I know this stuff looks pretty bad, but I am trying, I assure you...just need more practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this is how I've been doing studies lately (or using my studies, I guess)...The symmetry in the Hulk drawing is pretty pathetic, but I was trying to focus more on anatomical accuracy (didn't do so well there either). In that regard, however, I think it is an improvement from most of my previous work. The second illustration (The D...the bigger one) looks a bit less stiff than my work normally does (I think), so that's good. And, of course, there are some studies. More to come soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to say about these really...Neither of them are great (foreshortening in the Magneto drawing is particularly bad), but I feel like I'm getting better with anatomy. Not only do they look more accurate, but I felt more comfortable drawing them. Trying to exaggerate to get a better understanding of what I'm drawing. Also getting looser with composition, trying to improve the gestures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, man. I'm enjoying all of your anatomy studies! You needn't be so hard on yourself - you're doing great! To me, drawing every day (or nearly everyday) is a great accomplishment in and of itself! You're on your way - keep at it !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    angieb: Thank you! You have no idea how much that means .

It has it's flaws, but this drawing of The D is, by far, my favorite so far (the first one). This character is a lot of fun to draw and makes studies more enjoyable as well as less frustrating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another D-drawing/anatomy study and some messy Loomis Studies. I don't like this one too much. Dr Manhattan looks awkward (not to mention stiff) as does The D...but it definitely could have been worse. Still feel like my anatomy and composition are improving. I recently started doing more gesture/life drawing (timed), so that will be in my next post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotta make this quick. More D-drawings/studies and a few (of many) of the life drawings I've recently started doing (first, 60 secs, second, 30 secs, and last, 2 mins). It's been a while, so as expected, they are embarrassingly horrible and it goes to show just how slowly I draw. At first, I was trying to draw the model as accurately as possible, so I focused on the outline of the figure. I realized I wasn't getting the point after doing some research on life drawing, so I quickly abandoned the approach. Then, I focused on capturing the gesture and nothing else (did my absolute best to ignore being accurate...was very difficult). Anyway, I think the second and third look better in that respect (their gesture is more accurate). Building off of the simple gesture drawing is a struggle though...I don't know what I'm doing (don't know where to start). Sorry about the really crappy picture quality, the first page of life drawings was done on a large and messy piece of paper, so getting a clear pic was difficult.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spider-man drawing I did not too long ago. Not exactly proportionate, but I can tell that my understanding of anatomy is improving because I used reference fewer times, mainly with the legs. More to come soon...real soon.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 49