General advice on my WIP

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

General advice on my WIP

Hi guys,

I've been doing this illustration for a band, there are still a few things that need ironing out,
    the character's shoes, trousers and some background detailing etc but I don't feel like this will
    fix my feeling that there's something not quite right. I can't put my finger on it, could be the lighting, perspective
    or the character's pose but I can't tell for sure. Anyway long story short if anybody had some constructive
    criticism I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!Name:  Album-cover-sketch4.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  106.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it looks really cool!
    I'm really bad at criticising with words so i decided to make a really quick paintover
    General advice on my WIP

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leoz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet, thanks for the effort! Yeah I think mine could definitely do with a bit more warmth, I might also
    have to set up another light source to light the skeleton up, 'cause it does seem
    like my lighting was off but at the same time I don't want him to be so dark..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmm...there's a real difference in finish and an odd sense of proportion going on. Like, the sky is much more detailed and finished than the foreground figure, which makes the sky zoom forward. The logo and the amp are really detailed and finished, too. The landscape and the figure looked kind of roughed in in comparison. It almost looks to be a picture by more than one hand.

It's hard to judge proportion on a figure that's partly skeleton, but that skull seems really small in comparison to the feet. Are those a particular kind of sport boot? Like snow boots and pants or something? They seem oddly chunky.

I think I might go the other way with the light. Like, really have skeleton dude in silhouette, with just hints of his form from the sun and the glowing logo.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Stoat said about the guy's shoes and trousers. If he's not specifically supposed to be a snowboarder, you'd do well to rethink him from the waist down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Give that guy some kneecaps.

Name:  Crit_02.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  341.2 KB

So, here's the deal. You've got a primary light source that's illuminating areas of your character it shouldn't. The reality is that, with the exception of the amplifier, your character is backlit, and most of the detail would be washed out. You are did, however, place your character in a snowy tundra somewhere, so there exists an opportunity.

Radiosity, my old friend. Given light's propensity to bounce off of snow, you could perhaps make an argument that some of that light is making its way back to the character.

Some of my other changes should be pretty self-evident.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All great points guys, thanks for taking the time and helping me look at it with more critical eyes.
    The lack of finish in parts is mainly due to them not being finished yet, but I get your point.
    The boots and trousers were definitely an area that I was going to look at because, as I 've you've
    rightly pointed, out they are a bit huge. Again cheers for the advice, much appreciated,
    I'll have a look at it again and post what I come up with!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.