Adobe ripping off Australians

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Adobe ripping off Australians

Adobe is just one company that is ripping off Australians. Many companies over charge for services in Australia simply because the can.
    They use price fixing, and they get away with it.

Last edited by onionface; February 15th, 2013 at 03:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    I'm getting a new cutting edge-ish tablet pc very soon and cs6 cost nearly double what I'm paying for it. I have a shopping list. Hopefully I find a good workflow.

Art rage
    Sketchbook pro
    Paint Tool Sai
    MyPaint
    inkscape
    Gimp (like photoshop with a crippled leg)

The "creative cloud" is a legitimate rape. They are charging nearly full price for a yearly membership. Maybe if it were stuctured as a payment plan and you got to keep it after you pay it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    In Poland average laptop costs about 1400zl while Photoshop CS6 costs about 2600zl which is almost twice that price. Creative suite 6 would be something like 4900zl.

Many people in comments under the whole Adobe thing always mention GIMP. I don't think pointing to open-source software as alternative to Photoshop will change much. GIMP is made by enthusiasts in free time so it will progress very slowly in comparison to some paid alternatives where programmers can make the changes full time and really polish stuff. There is for example Serif Photoplus X6 which is paid program but much cheaper and has almost the same functionality and layout as Photoshop. Even stuff like layer groups, layer styles, masks, channels, adjustment layers. Opens up and saves PSD files too. I only wish it was much faster and saved in CMYK color mode :/.

Last edited by Farvus; February 15th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks
    I like Manga Studio for sketching and inking and they have a light version that's cheap, so if that's your kind of stuff, you could give it a try. It's not as versatile as PS, unfortunately, but maybe paired with Elements it would do what you need.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Not to mention their customer service is horrific.
    For the prices they charge, after-sale service should be no less than perfect.

Wow, that CEO...

"Why is the software more expensive for Australians?"

"Creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud, creative cloud."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's been years since I tried gimp, but I remember it being just like photoshop in the same sense that a BMW is just like a Dodge. Gimp just felt clunky. Particularly the marquee tool, which is already uncomfortable in ps. Hopefully creating art in all those other programs can make the difference.

The only problem I've had with all those other art programs is the lack of a navigator (can't live without it). Hopefully hopefully the pinch and zoom on my new pc makes up for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    I prefer Gimp to elements. Gimp has a painter patch that is interesting if you can find it. Blending brush and some more intricate brush control options.

Elements is bare bare bones. Manga Studios good and cheap but it's vector based so your lines often can be dull.

Thanks
    Sketchbook Pro and Artrage are fantastic little programmes and a damn sight cheaper than Photoshop and Painter!

"If you look back on last years work and you still like it: you are slipping."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    It's been years since I tried gimp, but I remember it being just like photoshop in the same sense that a BMW is just like a Dodge. Gimp just felt clunky. Particularly the marquee tool, which is already uncomfortable in ps. Hopefully creating art in all those other programs can make the difference.

The only problem I've had with all those other art programs is the lack of a navigator (can't live without it). Hopefully hopefully the pinch and zoom on my new pc makes up for it.
    If you have a windows pc, easy Paint tool Sai has a navigator window, painter 12 also has one too.

Then again there is CS 2

Tho limited, and I like the way the GUI works - free for Mac and windows users http://firealpaca.com/

Last edited by Arshes Nei; February 15th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Argh! Consummate professionalism be for suckers and scallywags!
    (not getting sued however, eh... kinda worth the monopoly I guess)

Last edited by HarbingerofIllRepute; February 15th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks
    The thing with ps is all the best artists use it. It's a little hard to find good art made on any other software. So I was skeptical until recently.
    This video sold me on sb pro. He does mention that he needs a cintiq to pull this shit off and the intuos doesn't cut it. I'll say the intuos still has it's advantages.

Paint Tool Sai is starting to have some impressive artists flossing it.

Corel Painter is a beauty but doesn't count. The bugs and inconstant controls make it counter productive. The price is still brutal as well.
    Art rage seems to have a muddy finish to it. I tried it once and had trouble controlling the effects when detailing. But I've seen artists use it sparingly for great effects.

Thanks
    I found the latest Artrage with better controls than 3 still needs a bit of work but adding in the bristle stiffness and adding in the square head for oils is good.

Sketchbook Pro 6 is a great start, I've found that nowadays some software is more suited for different tasks. I always found doing sketches in Sai, Open Canvas, and Sketchbook Pro more suited than going into PS or Painter.

Thanks
    Has anyone else besides me used Rendera, Photobie, or Paint.NET?

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    I can second Open Canvas. Especially if you grab a bunch of their sets of brushes and such. Very fun to sketch around with then import to something more structured like PS. Found that to be loads better than art rage or those alternatives.

Thanks
    Seraph-Never heard of them before. How are they? Can you post anything you've done in them?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Hmm, I always forget Sketchbook Pro has a desktop version... I have the iPad app, which would be pretty nice for sketching if I had a halfway decent stylus (with the stylus I have now it's mostly awkward to use.)

Thanks
    They made better brushes in Sketchbook Pro 6 and the interface is really nice now.

The price in the US is really nice - ttp://amzn.com/B008TN81ZG 37 bucks for the full 30 for the upgrade.

Thanks
    15 mins into this video explains why the ios version of sb pro doesn't cut it for professional work.

This video sold me on the ATIV I'm shopping for.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Tho limited, and I like the way the GUI works - free for Mac and windows users http://firealpaca.com/
    I checked this program. Really cool. If this type of brush painting smoothness and speed was combined with PhotoPlus then it would be even better option than Photoshop . Alternatives have eithere lots of functions but laggy brushes or fast brushes but not many functions. The only program that has both so far is Photoshop :/

Last edited by Farvus; February 16th, 2013 at 02:05 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1