Molesine/ Sketching all the time- which pen? Markers? - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Molesine/ Sketching all the time- which pen? Markers?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ballpoint pens. She uses ballpoints.

http://andreajoseph24.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I the only one who uses ballpoints and printer paper stuffed in a binder

I have that weird illness where if i buy something expensive I wont use it unless i have something 'special' to draw because then its gone and im too cheap to buy more! I never have anything special to draw if you haven't guessed.

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    Ballpoint pens. She uses ballpoints.

http://andreajoseph24.blogspot.com/
    ok, thank you so muc I found it! where is the different between it and markers? Like Sakura Pigma Micron?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    TL;DR Don't get a Moleskine because that's what the cool kids do. Get a Moleskine if it suits your needs and are comfortable with the price/paper ratio.
    I have to concur with Arshes Nei on this. I used to, years ago during art school, go with the traditional hardback sketchbooks from Canson and draw out some ideas for projects or life drawing. That was back in the mid-1990s. Then after 2002 when my late father passed on, I stumbled across a moleskine for the first time in a Utrecht chain store and decided, "why the hell not?". For a change, I wanted to experiment with it and needed a smaller and compact sketchbook. For years, I used to carry the big and hefty ones in my carrier/messenger bag.

When I switched to Moleskine, it was a revelation for me because it fit my personality since I liked the old school leatherbound sketchbooks or journals, infamously seen in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Plus, the paper surface was a godsend due to my reliance on ink or graphite, and best of all, it was lightweight. It was certainly much easier to crack it open flat and prep it for scanning than the hardbacks. I never looked back since then because I always like the compact size of it when I draw in coffeehouses, bars, and so on. It's a nice way for me to keep a record of brainstormed ideas, layout concepts, or such.

Just recently I got a COPIC Multiliner SP (pigment ink) pen along with the COPIC F01 drawing pen. It was perfect and solved the problem after using the Micro pigma pens for so long (not knocking them. I still like them). I mentioned them on my blog site. Also STAEDLER pigment liner (fineliner brand) pens work beautifully on the moleskine as well.

But there have been new ''moleskine'-inspired sketchbooks cropping up in the market lately and Canson is one of the manufacturers doing that. I briefly saw this at a Utrecht branch in Cleveland a few months ago on vacation. So, look around and compare but definitely experiment with the sketchbooks to see if they fit your style, technique and personality.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingal View Post
    Am I the only one who uses ballpoints and printer paper stuffed in a binder

I have that weird illness where if i buy something expensive I wont use it unless i have something 'special' to draw because then its gone and im too cheap to buy more! I never have anything special to draw if you haven't guessed.
    Eventually people give you so many "special" art materials as gifts, or you succumb to temptation at the art store enough times that you start using your good art materials to get them out of your way. One day I was drawing with my crappy pen on crappy printer paper, vaguely staring at my hoard of Bristol pads and pigment pens, and I realized how dumb the whole situation was.

If you haven't reached that point yet, start talking up sketchbooks around Christmas. Someone will get the hint.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Eventually people give you so many "special" art materials as gifts, or you succumb to temptation at the art store enough times that you start using your good art materials to get them out of your way. One day I was drawing with my crappy pen on crappy printer paper, vaguely staring at my hoard of Bristol pads and pigment pens, and I realized how dumb the whole situation was.

If you haven't reached that point yet, start talking up sketchbooks around Christmas. Someone will get the hint.
    I actually have 3 sketchbooks from Christmas. Not moleskin but nice! All filled up about 1/4th the way because I was saving the rest for something good -.- and when I go somewhere special.

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2