Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Molesine/ Sketching all the time- which pen? Markers?

Hello Guys

You probably noticed last time I am interested here about traditional painting. I started thanks to you couple week ago! So interested in it!

I bought several book you recommended me and trying to improve/ develop my skills in it!

What I found out? I started with digital painting couple years ago. Then I felt I want to move to traditional- paper and pencils and continue praciticing mainly environment.

But what I found out? When I started learn myself how to draw, how to hold pencil, how to draw everything around me I felt in love with it. Before I wanted to focus only to environemnt. No I feel I find my true way of painting- sketching! I was totaly inspired by Andrea Joseph

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreajoseph/

I want to develop myself in this way. My question is very simple. TO this purposes what tool is the best? I read several articles about MOLESCINE NOTEBOOK (andrea joseph recommend) especially I want to have some quality friendly notebook all the time with me. I gave to myself promise everyday I want to sketch something. Because I like it. I was thinking about different tool then pencils- Markers? Can anybody recommend me it? I read about SAKURA MICRON PIGMA- But I do not know which size or color for this purposes? Can you give me advice? I will be so gratefull.

Thank you so much guys

PS: Another Examples:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/searen_...7631688735766/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Don't waste your money on Moleskine: any sketchbook will do. If you're a beginner, you probably need to break through that 'omg, I'm gonna work in my sketchbook so it must be perfect or I'm gonna waste another page in my expensive Moleskine book' block. Buy something cheap and find out what paper works for you.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As an additonal word of caution, my moleskines don't handle markers (in my case copics) very well at all. The ink seeps through the page unto the other side and the page underneath it.

Thanks
    I agree with the others. If you are going to sketch all the time, get a cheap sketchbook. Not cheap as in it will fall apart after 2 days in your bag but cheap as in not fancy and not a brand. I also wouldn't buy a big pile of one type of sketchbooks, you are just starting, try out stuff. Same for pencils, same for markers. Art is not one size fits all and the secret to being good is not to use the same tools your idol does. The secret is practice and you can't get that on a forum.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    regards to my links I provided you, can you give me suggestions which kind of exactly? To use pencils or markers? I like the result when using Sakura Micron Pigma like joseph andrea... thank you a lot

Thanks

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I do it- every day. But I would like to sketch everywhere- I want to find style as Andrea Joseph have. to me is very close. Have all the time with me sketchbook and pencils or markers. Please I wont want to spent so much money to trying which is better (combinaciton of paper- sketchbook and markers), for that please give me suggestion which sakura pigma micron shoudl i buy? (size? and which sketchbook, why not moleskine?

Thanks
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to imitate a certain look and use materials you see elsewhere. I once spent weeks trying to find a charcoal/paper solution that would give me results like the charcoal/newsprint combination the people at Watts atelier use. Unsuccessfully, I might add. I can't help you on that front though, maybe someone else here can.

I'd just like to warn you against having "finding style X with materials Y" as a primary goal. There's more then one thing wrong with that goal. First of all, style is the last thing you'll have to worry about. It'll come on its own, and ideally you'll be able to switch between "styles" as you wish. Secondly, even if you had all the exactly identical materials as the artist you quoted, your work would still not look like their work. You'd have to replicate their brain and their experiences as well.
    Never forget that. Just wanted to make that clear since it's a trap I see many aspiring artists fall into.

Thanks
    We got it, you want to doodle in black and white all the time like that guy. Having the same material as him is not important. It's not like he was painting in oils and you were using crayons, he's just drawing. So go to the store and buy a handful of different non-fancy sketchbooks and a handful of different pens and markers, mix and match and experiment. You have a few thousand ugly drawings in you, you might as well get started. Maybe along the way you will find a way to replicate his stuff exactly. Maybe you will find something better. The good thing is either way you will learn something. And most likely, when all these sketchbooks are full and these pens are spent, you won't give a flying crap about copying this guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    As an additonal word of caution, my moleskines don't handle markers (in my case copics) very well at all. The ink seeps through the page unto the other side and the page underneath it.
    You must have a cheaper knock off of the Moleskine brand. I've never had bleed problems with pigment based markers. Sketchbooks are a personal thing and people work in it differently. Andrea Joseph is a recorder using ballpoint pens so it's not a "practice to get better sketchbook". Choosing a sketchbook really revolves around what you want to do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    You must have a cheaper knock off of the Moleskine brand. I've never had bleed problems with pigment based markers. Sketchbooks are a personal thing and people work in it differently. Andrea Joseph is a recorder using ballpoint pens so it's not a "practice to get better sketchbook". Choosing a sketchbook really revolves around what you want to do.
    Nope, original moleskine. My copics bleed through the paper of both the smaller sketchbook (A5) as well as the large A4 one.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    you will find that you see something wonderful walking the street ..but no sketchbook.. the back of a envelope will suffice till you get home..i have two tin boxes and three folders that to many

seem like a pile of odd paper bits (30 years worth)... but they are part of the idee fixe in the creation of artwork..i agree with Benedikt about the materials and kinds of paper...

Thanks
    yes I understand you are right. Tommorow I going to buy some handy A5 sketchbook. I gave myself promise I want to at least overy day sketch some piece with some diary from day I live through so for that I am gonna to buy some handy sketchbook and also I try to order Sakura pigma micron- any suggestion which size will be suitable for these purposes? as a beginning with markers? like andrea do?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreaj...7629459708867/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreaj...7629116701880/

thank you so much

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    Ya sketchbook really revolves around what you want to do.

as I described above everyday sketching, sketching black and white or some colors put on it as well after some time using pencils and markers together to find what suit me the best. to not spend so much money I trust you guys to give me some advice which exactly sketchbook and marker would be the best....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast