Painting normal buildings at mid-distance
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Painting normal buildings at mid-distance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painting normal buildings at mid-distance

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or time-saving shortcuts to (digitally) painting those office buildings and bring it to a high quality level of finish?
    Stuff like this:

If the building is far, you can roughly suggest the windows etc., but if they're in this kind of distance, we have to paint the windows one by one?
    I tried doing a study but lost patience halfway through (after like painting 10+ windows) LOL

Imagine if you've to do a street scene with 5 or more of such buildings.

When doing this type of illustration, do people in the industry use 3D models instead of painting? The problem with 3D models is that if the characters are done in a painterly style etc, the rendering of the 3D models won't match the rest of the art style.

Any tips? I've tried googling for "painting buildings" but can't seem to find anything useful.
    Most of the concept art of buildings I've seen are those far shots + night scene combo, where they roughly throw in some big dark rectangular strokes and then slap photo textures of buildings onto the dark masses (for windows) and it works. But not in my case (which is medium / close shot + day scene).

Tks!
    Xeon

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you just want to put windows on a building and are working digitally, just paint one window straight on. Copy/paste it until you have a grid of straight on windows. Then skew it into the perspective of one of the walls of the building.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work with masks/selections mainly, big brushes, and for the windows issue... draw whats around them instead. positive/negative the vase/face thing.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.