graphic novel teaser poster
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: graphic novel teaser poster

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

graphic novel teaser poster

Last edited by gfxtwin; February 24th, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What about? It's a finished work. Some things work. Some things don't. What exactly do you want help with?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It isn't quite finished until I fix what needs to be improved. I've seen this image for too long and I'm numb to it. Just need some critiques from folks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hm. Okay. It bothers me that the gun isn't pointing where he's looking. He's making eye contact with me and pointing the gun over my left shoulder. Also, if that's a shoulder holster, it's on the wrong side.

Second, they feel a little claustrophobic, clustered a little too tightly in the middle with blankness around them. They also feel a little low on the page to me.

Also, they're all looking at me except Mustache Guy, who's got an odd look on his face for the cover of an action adventure. That feels a little weird.

But, fixable. Nicely finished. Now you just have to do the graphic novel

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well you should have worked on the anatomy first before applying colors, etc.

Home of the Killer Concept Art Tutorials
    www.conceptartmasters.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gfxtwin View Post
    It isn't quite finished until I fix what needs to be improved. I've seen this image for too long and I'm numb to it. Just need some critiques from folks.
    There are plenty of problems, mostly with solidity, lighting, anatomy, and texture / technique.

The big problem is that all of these should have been solved before you even started painting - during the planning stages. You won't be able to fix any of them without overpainting. Next time, don't skimp on planning. And practice those fundamentals; you are missing rather obvious lapses in perspective and anatomy.

To give you a few hints in addition to Stoat's comment, every face has its eyes "floating" around - you should have visualized their positions in the bony sockets instead of fudging them. Neck anatomy, where visible, is not constructed right. The guy in the grey shirt has no torso anatomy under that shirt, and the shirt itself is very overwrought with tiny brush. The perspective on his hand does not match the perspective on the arm; the gun points 30 degrees to the right from where it should be pointing, and its perspective, again, does not match either the hand or the forearm. The gun itself is obviously cut out from a photo and does not match the rest of the image. The guy's head is huge, or perhaps his torso is too small; the left arm is very, very short. The lighting on the rightmost head is inconsistent, and the glasses frame asymmetrical; the skull of the rightmost head looks flat like cardboard, and again the lighting is inconsistent. You haven't checked how shirt collars or jacket collars or neckties really look. Do I need to go on?

I think you've bitten off way, way more than you can chew. If you can, start over and this time do solve all these things - composition, structure, perspective, anatomy, lighting - in multiple preliminary sketches.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say, that poster gives me no clue as to what your comic is about.

Even if you fixed the various issues, the image would still fail at giving the viewer any idea as to what it's supposed to be about, let alone add interest.

All I see is an old man holding a gun while standing next to a young woman with two disembodied heads on each side of them. I can assume the old man is the main character...and that's it. Maybe the bald head is a villain, I don't know.

Wait, it's sci-fi? Thank you, text box, I never would have known otherwise.

In your planning stage, you need to step away from yourself and approach the image as if it were some random person who has no idea who you are or what you're making, because that's exactly who the image is supposed to be for.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 13th, 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,367 Times in 3,590 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The girl bothers me by being so static. Put her left (our right) hand and the guy with the gun's arm. Her head is a big big too. His thumb is sort of odd looking with that thumbnail and the way it wraps round the gun.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To continue from what I said earlier, what is the comic about? What does the title mean? Only YOU know that.

If I had to make a wild guess, it's about an old Vietnam veteran and his daughter on the run from an evil business mogul because...something sci-fi like. Maybe the daughter has a rare mutation that makes her psychic or something and the business man is sending goons to kidnap her for evil scientific purposes. As they're on the run they get help from glasses head, who has his own agenda involving the evil company.

Yeah, yeah, part of the conflict is whether glasses is someone to trust or not, and then maybe there's a point where they meet other psychics from different backgrounds (and I'm not talking mundane mindreaders, I'm talking psychokinetics like from an Otomo comic, yeah. Ever heard of Akira? Well read the comic, it's ten times better than the movie.), and they help the daughter get better control of her powers, leading to the climax where all the good psychics storm the villain's headquarters and destroy his operation, which includes a few corrupt ones.

Maybe the villain himself turns out to be psychic himself, and his operation was to discov---

Ok, that's enough. See what I mean? You can get ANYTHING out of that image.

Maybe it's about a retired cop who teams up with a scientist to uncover a global conspiracy involving an evil pharmaceutical company that's manufacturing a mind control drug as diet pills to the unsuspecting public.

I can go on an on (cause it's fun). The poster should give me SOMETHING of an idea, not give me an opportunity to make up anything that comes to mind.

You want a good example of a teaser poster, look at the original Red Dawn poster.

Boom. Tells us the plot and makes us interested.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 13th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.