Biggest pet peeve when drawing?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Biggest pet peeve when drawing?

I suppose the usual thing would be if the picture doesn't turn out right, or if you can't get down on paper what you have in your imagination. At least those are usual for me. But I have to say, I hate accidentally dropping my kneaded eraser on the ground and then seeing it has hair on it and crap.

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^Definitely. Aslo, when a drawing is going great, but you go to erase something and you accidentally use your crappy eraser and you smudge it... and there is a permanent black smudge that won't erase... and that freak out moment when you realized you just ruined a drawing that you've been working on close to 2 hours...
    Last time that happened to me, it was 1am... I was already incredibly tired and frustrated... and I about threw my sketchbook out the window... >_<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ That is why I don't have a kneaded eraser anymore haha. I just cut up an eraser into tiny bits if I want to erase a small part.

I don't have enough drawing experience to have petpeeves though.
    Maybe one could be when I finally have time to draw, after grinding through my chemistry/physics homework, and I'm so burnt out all my studies suck due to lack of concentration. That definitely doesn't make me happy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHEN PRESSING THAT WINDOWS BUTTON INSTEAD OF ALT in Photoshop.
    And then accidentely click on "Printers and Devices"
    And for some reason it takes ages to load that screen
    And then click it away. :V

Maybe I should just change the shortcut for colour picking...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Double-clicking an Illustrator file instead of a similarly named Photoshop file, then waiting ten years for Illustrator to launch just so I can quit Illustrator and wait another ten years for Photoshop to launch.

But that's not as annoying as drawing on the wrong layer, and not noticing until you're too far into it to be able to revert.

And THAT'S not as annoying as getting pthalo blue on your hand and then accidentally sticking your hand on the one part of your painting where pthalo blue will wreak the most havoc. (I swear that stuff gets EVERYWHERE if you so much as look at it. You try getting rid of it, and it gets into something else, and before you know it the whole picture has a green tinge.)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Clean your damned room and/or buy a new kneaded eraser, they're cheap!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I draw something and it looks like shit. Its fine though because it only happens when I draw something so I can avoid that by posting in silly threads on Art Discussion

-----------------------------------------
    My Blog!
    http://www.whirlyart.blogspot.co.uk/

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,557 Times in 3,742 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking I'll be tidy painting and get some on the last paint free pair of trousers I have. And how the heck do I get it on my elbows so often?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Barking dogs....Annoying barking dogs. Drives me crazy and totally messes up my work flow.

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Thinking I'll be tidy painting and get some on the last paint free pair of trousers I have. And how the heck do I get it on my elbows so often?
    Ever since I absent-mindedly wiped off a brush on my good skirt I've learned to never ever even go NEAR a loaded brush while wearing good clothes. Even the tiniest bit of touching up somehow gets paint on everything.

Paint on elbows is an eternal mystery. Even more mysterious is paint on feet.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Ever since I absent-mindedly wiped off a brush on my good skirt I've learned to never ever even go NEAR a loaded brush while wearing good clothes. Even the tiniest bit of touching up somehow gets paint on everything.

Paint on elbows is an eternal mystery. Even more mysterious is paint on feet.
    I have a tarp down in my studio to protect the floor. I gesso hardboard on the tarp, and so over time it's acquired a layer of dried acrylic gesso on it. Apparently, acrylic gesso flakes stick to bare feet, but not as well as to linoleum. So my kitchen floor started getting a buildup of gesso because it would ride my feet into the kitchen, where it would let go and then instantly bond to the lino. It's like some sort of weird parasitic gesso life cycle.

I have since bought a pair of slippers but man -- you discover things while painting that you never would otherwise.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep my tablet in my lap, propped up at an angle against the side of the desk. incidentally, my lap is also where my cat wants to be all the time. :| leave me alone you lil shit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My biggest "pet peeve" is when you're drawing in your sketchbook, you make a mistake and think to yourself "cmd+alt+z" and actually sit there for 5 mins wondering why it won't delete.

Does this happen to anyone else or am I just going crazy?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My only pet peeve I've had that actually bugs me is when I'm drawing with a tablet, and since my computer is shit. If I use any sort of intricate custom brush and use it too fast, even if just trying to lay something down quickly it will lag photoshop and make it unresponsive and freeze. But it's almost a good thing in that it makes you go slow. Use simple brushes and not go overboard with fancy digital shortcuts.

Still is more annoying than anything getting a decent sketch down and poof gone because you didn't save recently.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    I have a tarp down in my studio to protect the floor. I gesso hardboard on the tarp, and so over time it's acquired a layer of dried acrylic gesso on it. Apparently, acrylic gesso flakes stick to bare feet, but not as well as to linoleum. So my kitchen floor started getting a buildup of gesso because it would ride my feet into the kitchen, where it would let go and then instantly bond to the lino. It's like some sort of weird parasitic gesso life cycle.

I have since bought a pair of slippers but man -- you discover things while painting that you never would otherwise.
    A tarp wouldn't work for Queenie. She'd have a big paint splash across her forehead without even knowing how!

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Idle-Elk View Post
    My biggest "pet peeve" is when you're drawing in your sketchbook, you make a mistake and think to yourself "cmd+alt+z" and actually sit there for 5 mins wondering why it won't delete.

Does this happen to anyone else or am I just going crazy?
    You're not crazy. I've done that. I'll be working on a lot of digital projects, and then go and work on a traditional one, make a mistake and try to find the "undo" command... or I'll try to find the create new layer command.... usually though that stuff happens more often in the late/wee hours of the night/morning when I'm incredibly sleep deprived and I'm on the verge of passing out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarry View Post
    You're not crazy. I've done that. I'll be working on a lot of digital projects, and then go and work on a traditional one, make a mistake and try to find the "undo" command... or I'll try to find the create new layer command.... usually though that stuff happens more often in the late/wee hours of the night/morning when I'm incredibly sleep deprived and I'm on the verge of passing out.
    Holy shit. That happens to me so many times. When I'm really concentrated in a drawing on a paper and do a mistake, my left hand would instinctively make a slight gesture for ctrl+z.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My daler and rowney sketching easel. I can't put my board/ sketchbook high enough on the easel- I swear they make those easels for people under 5ft. Plus it tends to slide about a lot, not great...

art blog: http://hrartwork.blogspot.co.uk/

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, drawing on the wrong layer. That's a huge one, Gwenevere.

I'm slogging through a bunch of Blender tutorials at the moment. Following along, trying to mimic commands in Blender when the video actually has focus. For some reason, all Blender shortcuts seem to do drastic things to videos, like rewind them or close the window.

Oh. Right. Drawing. I like soft pencils with murderously sharp points. That's just one big giant peeve on stilts, that is.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketchbook big enough to be comfortable with, pocket not big enough; and vice versa. I know it's a matter of getting used to either carrying a large notebook or drawing on a tiny space, but I'm still finding my point and I have a stack of half used sketchbooks in my room, damn.

Also, it might not be art related, but I detest drawing to Pink Floyd and my player running out of battery in the middle of a solo. You just don't do that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Being interrupted. Simple and plain, I'm one of the nicest people you can come up talk to, but god help me if I have to choke the next bum asking me if I draw, when they VERY CLEARLY see me with pen-in-hand and pen-on-the-pad trying to concentrate. And my dog constantly bothering me for a rub down when I'm trying to work.

P.R.I.D.E.

Professional
    Results
    In
    Daily
    Efforts

Learn it. Live it. Love it.
    [/CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -People watching.
    -People who ask what I'm going to paint just as I start, or when I make a rough sketch.
    -People suggesting new stuff to add to my paintings or stories I can tell with my paintings when I tell them what I'm painting.
    -People who come up with intricate ideas only to say "I wish I could draw like you. Oh hey! I have an idea, why don't you draw it!?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a butthurt artist, enjoy my hating:
    • When I have an awesome picture in my head and it won't came up as I imagined it, despite my trying.
    • When somebody asks "Did you draw this?!" when he clearly sees that YES, I drawn it right in front of him.
    • "Can you draw this? And that? And this thing I like? Have you ever drawn [random nonsense] ? And how about this fuckery? Can you do that?"
    • When somebody compliments my art in real life. I feel great when I get positive feedback on Internet, but I just sit and stare to nowhere when it happens in rel life. Fuck my introvert antisocial nature...
    • Every pencil I ever tried doesn't look like I want it to look on paper. Either it's lines are too soft and in wrong shade or too narrow, light and it just doesn't feel like my... soulmate pencil.

And my worst nightmare:
    • Painting on a wrong layer in Photoshop. I just switched back to Background to fix something and then, mindlessly continue painting some key parts on very same - wrong - layer. And you can't drag it to right layer, because it has a billion details underneath. Paint over again. I could murder when it happens.

DEVIANTART -:|:- FACEBOOK -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword95 View Post
    Every pencil I ever tried doesn't look like I want it to look on paper. Either it's lines are too soft and in wrong shade or too narrow, light and it just doesn't feel like my... soulmate pencil.
    That may be a problem with the paper you are using, not with the pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    I had that same question for myself - how the *#*$# does this stuff keep getting on my clothes?? - then I realized: I put my palette on my lap, and when I take a break (because I paint SOOOOOOOO often...) the end of the brush rolls into the paint and somehow I don't notice until my jeans look like my palette.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my list:

Taking breaks or stopping due to neck pain.
    The moment I get out of drawing state of mind.
    People interrupting.
    SMUDGING !

"All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw?"

MY SKETCHBOOK, COMMENT & CRITIC THE SHIT OUT OF ME

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of mine is when I erase so hard & furious that I either bend/crease the page I'm working or worse rip the page.
    The other is usually when I'm doing life drawing. The piece that I've been working over 2 hours on looks like shit & the 10 minute doodle looks so much better.

|| CA Sketchbook || DeviantArt || Tumblr ||

Bullets of Justice caps Evil's ass...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find my most annoying habit happening when I stop drawing. The longer the period is in which I don't draw, the more delusional I become about my own skills- everything becomes easier, more obvious ("faces are easy!", "yep it's all about colour", "forms- I got it"). And then I pick up the pencil, start a line- and it hits me hard. Every single time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe. Just goes to show that you have to create art to fully appreciate the craft of it. It's easy to see what should improve, but it's hard to actually improve. Trial and error I guess.

One of my peeves is dropping your pencil on your drawing (I'm a big butterfingers) so the graphite leaves unwanted marks or forgetting there is paint on your sleeve.
    Smudge, smudge, picture is ruined. "Have a nice day" said the sleeve to the picture. "Cab fare is on the table."

My sketchbook Please drop by. :-)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Lost My Marbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One other thing that's a pet peeve for me, and really shouldn't be because it's a natural part of the art making process - the crumbs that a pink pearl eraser leaves behind after you do any erasing.

I hate them and I really shouldn't.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Members who have read this thread: 2