Sending a fan letter to Glen Keane?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Scarry is offline ...we have a lot of story yet to tell. Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sending a fan letter to Glen Keane?

(I don't know if this is the proper forum for this topic, if is not.... don't kill me mods xD)

Ok I know this is going to come off as silly and childish... but I've been wanting to send a letter to Glen Keane expressing my appreciation for his wonderful work over the years and let him know that he is inspiring another generation of artists and such. His work has been a huge inspiration for me over the passed couple of years as I've become more and more interested in the work of character design and animation. And sometimes when you look up to someone you feel the need to express your admiration and appreciation to them via letter...

However we come to the dilemma that he retired from Disney Animation Studios last year... so my question is, how does one send him a fan letter? If I sent it to address listed for fan letters from when he was still working at Disney, would they forward it to him? I mean I don't know if anyone will have any idea where to send the letter to... I just thought I'd give it a shot in case anyone knew...

Also, anyone else here a fan of Glen Keane's work? I just bought the art book for Tangled and the artwork in there is breathtakingly beautiful. So many talented artists put so much heart and soul into it... it makes me want to keep on practicing in hopes that some day my drawings and paintings will be half as good as some of these artists.... it also makes me want to buy more art books xD

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Send it to Disney, it will get to him eventually. Most companies are pretty good about forwarding fan mail, it can just take a while.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Elwell said...most big name artists out there will personally respond to your email, but of course some wont. A guy like Keane probably gets a ton but be patient. In a case where someone is getting a ton of emails rather than hand written letters, try the more traditional approach. Include your email within it though. I'm sure he'd appreciate the time you took to hand write and mail it to him. Write it if you've got nice penmanship type it if you dont. I'm a huge fan of his character work and of course animation like many others as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprogis7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Glen Keane. I'm studying animation right now and my whole class loves him. Our spectrum of good and evil starts with Glen Keane and ends with Hitler. ("You know who always eats his vegetables? Glen Keane always eats his vegetables! Hitler never eats his vegetables!") And we have a chart of how tall we are, you know, those pencil marks you make on a doorframe? Someone put a mark 2.5m high up, reading "The greatness of Glen Keane". So yeah, we're kind of obsessed with him.

That said, have one of his demos/lectures here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJOziG8cCMg

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Scarry is offline ...we have a lot of story yet to tell. Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Send it to Disney, it will get to him eventually. Most companies are pretty good about forwarding fan mail, it can just take a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprogis7 View Post
    What Elwell said...most big name artists out there will personally respond to your email, but of course some wont. A guy like Keane probably gets a ton but be patient. In a case where someone is getting a ton of emails rather than hand written letters, try the more traditional approach. Include your email within it though. I'm sure he'd appreciate the time you took to hand write and mail it to him. Write it if you've got nice penmanship type it if you dont. I'm a huge fan of his character work and of course animation like many others as well.
    Thats what I figured, but I was unsure. Gonna go for it then! I'll probably type it up first in Word, because I can't spell worth a darn, but then transfer it to a hand written letter. You can't beat a hand written letter. You get something hand written in the mail and you can't help but read it since someone took the time and energy to sit there and write it. Plus its more special. You can really tell a lot about a person by their writing. Anywho, I'll keep you all apprized. I'll definitely be bragging about it if I get a response!! And I will share....

Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post
    Oh Glen Keane. I'm studying animation right now and my whole class loves him. Our spectrum of good and evil starts with Glen Keane and ends with Hitler. ("You know who always eats his vegetables? Glen Keane always eats his vegetables! Hitler never eats his vegetables!") And we have a chart of how tall we are, you know, those pencil marks you make on a doorframe? Someone put a mark 2.5m high up, reading "The greatness of Glen Keane". So yeah, we're kind of obsessed with him.

That said, have one of his demos/lectures here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJOziG8cCMg
    Haha glad I'm not the only one! Then again, it would be strange if I was the only one since Glen freaking Keane is an animation god among men.... I am not worthy.... Thanks for the link! I pretty much watch every lecture/demo I can find of his. He is so intuitive... even with his rough messy sketches... they are so dynamic... and there is so much life within those lines... *geeking out*

Last edited by Scarry; February 12th, 2013 at 01:41 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1