Sketchbook: stevebeadleart's sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: stevebeadleart's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile stevebeadleart's sketchbook

Greetings. I'm Steve and I'm making the plunge into the vast and sprawling pit of incredible conceptart.org

My background is in Fine Art Painting but recently I've felt the almost irresistible pull of digital painting. Lack of a studio space and materials has seen be swap the canvas for the tablet.

I picked up Painter and Photoshop about a year ago and I'm just eager to absorb and learn as much as I can. I do like to try and keep a balance between traditional and digital though.

I've lurked this forum a little and picked up what I can from youtube videos, livestreams etc but I feel the next step in getting the crit I really need to push me harder with my work is to become more involved with communities such as yourselves.

I will aim to post both traditional and digital sketches here and hopefully work up to some more serious pieces of work.

I'll start with some recent anatomy practice based on images of body builders -

Name:  bodybuilders 5.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  317.4 KBName:  bodybuilders 2.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  312.2 KBName:  bodybuilders 1.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  316.5 KB
    I welcome your comments and criticism. I'm here to learn!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice figure work! i love the way you sketch with pencil, very loosely and fluid. i would say to maybe work more on proportion? your anatomy and muscles seem great. but like the musclely female on the last image to the left seems to have a long torso. a good way i remember is that from the head to the crotch is the same length as the crotch to the feet. pretty much 1/2 of the body is legs (: i hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hallowtreez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome and good luck on your learning, about your drawings I think you could get some anatomy books to know what muscles you are drawing when doing these studies, it will become much easier, I would suggest Michael Hampton or Loomis to begin with. I'll for sure check your sb for updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no problem. oh! ill try to fix the link along with the books M.Calza suggested, bridgeman is also a great one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks M.Calza. I agree - trying to absorb a lot of anatomy right now just because I want to strengthen my drawing from memory so I'll be sure to hunt those down. I've already found a Loomis pdf I will be looking at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could study more the structure of the head, simplify it in planes, then instead of just copying a photo you will really understand what you're painting, because those portraits are suffering from that, they feel really flat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a good start, your digitals are nice, my suggestion would be after you studied try to apply on some references, finding the construction on then, then do some from imagination applying what you learned

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you've done the right thing by studying some Loomis heads. I totally agree with M.Calza. Don't just copy from a book, use it as a tool when you are drawing from life/models.

Members who have read this thread: 1