Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter, Laptops & Wacom

Has anyone out there ever used their wacom tablet on a laptop (preferably Mac) to do work in Painter?
    If so how did it perform?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have used my wacom 9x12 on my PC Laptop.. it is only a 700mhz with 256 ram Pc133... and a crappy video card..(used painter and photshop)... I found it to be a little too laggy at times for my tastes, when using really large brushes.. but for sketching it wasn't too bad... I think the one down side/upside was the monitor was smaller than my tablet so I could use big marks and get better detail.. but since the monitor was so crappy, I couldn't see the detail as well... *shrug*

I think if you have a Mac Titatinium (spelling) It should be pretty nice to work with..

Good Luck,

peace.

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just purchased a Sony Vaio with a 16 inch screen and an ATI card for use with 3D apps, PS and Painter 6. The one problem I have is the touchpad software causing problems while using the wacom.

When I lay down a stroke and then lift the stylus up to establish a different stroke, it still wants to continue the previous one. Drives me crazy.

I had an older Vaio that I used to paint on and it worked fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it possible to easily toggle the touchpad drivers on and off?

I'm looking to replace my desktop with a laptop (I love the idea of being able to cart my digital art "studio" around in a backpack), but I'm concerned about the quality of the monitors and driver issues with the Wacom exactly like what Biotron described.

Biotron, if you resolve this problem please message me or post here. I'm considering either a Dell Inspirion or the Vaio. The Vaio's are a few hundred dollars more expensive, but I like the slightly larger monitor and the DVD writer option...

If anyone else has any info or research to share about using laptops for digital painting, I'd be greatly interested in hearing about it!

Fongool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll let you know as soon as I figure out a solution, Fongool.

I do love the screen real estate, though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arent the tablet pc's screens done by wacom?
    i use my ancient old baby vaio with painter,
    and my tablet.. it works fine
    ... a little slow.. (*ok really slow*)
    but for skething into i find it useful
    batteries dont last long though:chug:

more coffee = better work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've read that the tablets aren't as responsive as a regular Wacom. Besides, I'd just get the screen all smudgy. ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to keep this thread alive...

I installed photoshop 7 on the Dell Inspiron here at the office and saw the same preoblem, with notablet installed. If I used the touchpad, lines would continue to draw for a short time after the button was released...

I really want to upgrade my system to a laptop, but unless I can actually try drawing with a tablet on one and know it will be useful I just can't take the risk.

Again, if anyone out there is using a laptop with a wacom tablet and Photoshop/painter, I'd love to hear what hardware you're using and any information about drivers, operating systems and whatever so I can make the jump...

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with the ultrasharp 15" screen and its freakin nice to look at. The default res is 1600x1200, so if you are going to run it lower than that, its blurry. LCDs are weird like that. But its crisp still and I have been very happy with it.

I haven't seen it get blurry either with fast motion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you use a Wacom with it? Photoshop/painter?

Yeah, those super sharp displays are very nice, the dell here at the office has one. I could easily work with one, just worried about the wacom conflicting with all the other pointing devices the laptops have to support.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't tried yet. I use my tablet on my desktop. But I'll slap my tablet on to my notebook and let you know soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I resolved the problem with my setup.

In the synaptics touchpad properties dialog box I turned off the ClickLock feature. What it does is allow you to click and drag without holding down the mouse button, which seems to be a problem when using a Wacom.

I also disabled tap zones for the touchpad.

So far, so good. I'll let you know how it goes after some heavy usage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to post an update on my experience using the Sony Viao GRV550 with an intous tablet.

Since changing the parameters in the synaptics touchpad software option box, as I described above, it's been great. The only gripe I have now is when I pan, sometimes I have to lift the pen slightly higher before laying down my next stroke. It's not bad though. I'm really enjoying using Painter on my new laptop. The 16 inch screen rocks.

By the way, Maya runs pretty good, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,135 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if you get a laptop for painting...make sure to get the top of the line...they come in xga? sxga? and uxga?

the U is the top of the line...closer to an actual monitor. the xga monitor on laptops has shit for color depth and while it will work you will have experience frusteration trying to readjust and calibrate the color on an actual monitor.

jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do all my photoshop, painter paintings on my powerbook Ti (800 mhz, 32 m video card) along with wacom tablet. I have no complaints on the color of the monitor, the color is very consistant with the apple flat pannel displays. As for softwares, Photoshop runs well on it but it lags a bit with Painter, especially larger brushes. I work around it by doing most of the painting in Photoshop first and finish it off with some Painter touches. There are also things you can play around in brush settings to speed up Painter, but it is still not ideal. The more recent powerbook has 1 G processor and 64 m Nvidia card, don't know if it helps speed things up a bit. Hope this will help.

Last edited by KChen; February 23rd, 2003 at 04:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Viao GRV550 has a 2.4 ghz processor and a 32 meg ATI card, which gives me plenty of horsepower. The screen is an sxga running at 1280 x 1024 32bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,135 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the sxga is usable...the xga is a joke...be careful.

get the uxga if you can...

Im officially on the lookout for a good one...will let ya know if i find one that is ideal for this stuff.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Thanks for keeping this alive guys. Some interesting feedback, even though most of it is from (GASP!) PC users. Actually I surprised that, from browsing through this forum the last couple of months, most of you guys are on PC as opposed to Mac. Although I'm relatively new to computers (5 or so years) I've always accepted the fact that anybody in the graphic arts used an Apple product. Anywho, that's a discussion for another thread.
    As I said I'm somewhat new to computers (and I don't work in the gaming or movie biz) but what is xga, sxga and uxga?
    I've tried Painter on a G4 400 MGZ Powerbook with the Intuos tablet. Although I accepted the less than perfect colour of a laptop I became frustrated as the brushes, especially the pencil, often lagged behind the curser. As I'm sure you can all understand this tended to through my whole drawing rhythm off.
    I'm encoraged by KChen's report as I'm thinking of upgrading .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From whatis.techtarget.com

UXGA

UXGA (Ultra Extended Graphics Array) is a display mode in which the resolution is 1600 pixels horizontally by 1200 pixels vertically (1600 x 1200). This amounts to a total of 1,920,000 pixels on the screen.
    A UXGA display might be preferred by computer users who want or need fine detail. UXGA displays also allow the user to specifiy up to four 800 x 600-pixel images at a time, with reasonable detail in each. An example of such an application is the reception of a television (TV) program while browsing the Web, and at the same time working in a word processor and a vector graphics program. Scientists and engineers can make use of the high resolution and large screen size when working with computer-aided graphics (CAD) programs, especially three-dimensional (3D) rendering.

A UXGA display provides 6.25 times as many pixels as a 640 x 480 display, four times as many pixels as an 800 x 600 display, and approximately 2.44 times as many pixels as a 1024 x 768 display. Modest-sized liquid crystal display (LCD) panels with the UXGA specification offer a level of detail comparable to print on paper. The main disadvantage of this type of display is the high cost compared with displays having less resolution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not having any problems with updating strokes in painter 6 or PS, MGH. My laptop is faster than my work machine with exception of the video card. Laptops have always lagged when it comes to video cards BUT if you're just using paint programs, than the newer models definitely have plenty of horsepower.

I used to be a mac user until I actually got a job in the game biz. Everyone was using 3d studio 4 DOS on pentium 133s.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i do

I work 50% of my time on a mac laptop g3 500mhz and a intuos2.
    The only soft running on it are Painter and Photoshop.

It works very well, almost never freez.
    If you keep your files like 150/300 dpi and about 2200/1600 pixels, you can obtain a high speed while sketching (painter) or doing manips (PS).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fast Forward to 2006

Wow, this thread is old. I found it by googling while hanging in #conceptart on IRC.

I'm actually in the market for a laptop to use with my Wacom, but it's now late 2006. My specific concerns are weight and screen real estate. Since it will be my primary pc while travelling overseas, I'll want to be able to play games on it and use it as a media centre.

I've been looking at the Dell XPS range of Desktop Replacements, specifically the M1710. After going through the customisation section, I found that what I want will set me back about 3k. I'm starting my overseas exploits in the next 12 months and will need to be able to move around at short notice. I won't be lugging it around with me every day but will need to be able to take it places when necessary. Therefore I dunno if weight is that much of an issue, but a lot of people complain about it.

I plan to use Photoshop for illustration, along with Flash, Maya and After Effects for animation/compositing.

Anyone have any experiences or advice they can share?

Cheers

Last edited by AJ; November 17th, 2006 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i'm using a fujitsu laptop with " 17" Crystal View wide XGA+ TFT display; brightness 330 nits; contrast ratio 500:1" anyone have an opinion on that? i know jason said XGA sucks but does the "+TFT" added on redeem the fact that it's XGA?

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Yes, this is an old thread. But then, I use an old 1999 Mac G4 titanium 500 MHz PowerBook for Painter demonstrations and it works like a charm. I haven't had a lag in real-time painting with Painter in years. I used to have it a lot in the early days of Fractal Design Painter, the first Wacom tablets and on much lower powered Macs. Happily, those days are history.

I'm enjoying my new 2.66 GHz, Intel dual core, Mac Pro and dual 23" Apple Cinema displays. I'd enjoy it even more if Painter 7 would work on it, but I haven't had any luck getting the brushes to apply paint. The mouse works, but not the Wacom pen. I love Painter 7, but may have to give it up for progress and much more screen real estate.

Last edited by Fredbt; November 17th, 2006 at 12:49 AM. Reason: mistakes and typos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive used my Acer 5024 (amd64 3000+, 1gb ram, ATI 128mb x700 mobile) with my Wacom intuos A4 for a year now and Ive never had any problems whatsoever.

The amount of lag when using larger brushes is the same as my stationary, which is significantly more powerful. You just cant use a siz 60+ brush on a 300dpi canvas and expect it to go smoothly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I usually paint at 150 to 200 dpi with large brushes and several layers without lag, I decided to do a test to determine when I would experience a lag in the brush. I couldn't create a brush lag with the airbrush set at the maximum brush size of 543. Then I tried the chalk at its maximum brush size of 749 - still no lag.

It really depends on the computer, amount of RAM, video RAM and the computer's processing power.

(Tested in Painter 8 with a Mac Pro with dual-core 2.66GHz Intel Xeon processors, 2 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB graphics card and 1GB of hard drive space.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fred,

The two brush variants you tested are from relatively simple brush categories.

Try using large size brush variants from the following more complex categories and tell us how it goes:

Impasto
    Liquid Ink
    Watercolor

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since we're talking lag, what is the most important tech aspect when it comes to 2D painting? Having 512mb on my graphics card didnt seem to do anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Automatic Kafka
    Since we're talking lag, what is the most important tech aspect when it comes to 2D painting? Having 512mb on my graphics card didnt seem to do anything.
    RAM, RAM, and more RAM, after that, CPU.

Whenever your computer runs out of physical memory, it starts using parts of the hard drive as replacement memory, but every time it writes or reads from the hard drive, you're going to see some lag in Painter.

Also, the problem that most ppl in the start of this thread were having, is easily fixed by setting the option to turn off the touchpad on the laptop when another pointing device is connected. I have a Dell D810, and an Intuos3 6x8, and it works pretty good (The specs: Pentium M 1.68Mhz, 1GB Ram, ATI X600 128mb VRAM)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin, you made me curious since you named 3 brushes I never use. I do traditional watercolor painting and have never liked the look of Painter's watercolor. The same applies to the impasto brush. I just don't like the look of it. The liquid pen I have never tried until now.

Here is what I found in my tests at 300 dpi:

Liquid Ink - Coarse Camel
    Very slight, hardly noticable lag at 45 pixel brush size when making a very fast swipe across the canvas. No lag when strokes are slow and deliberate. The way I normally paint. This also stayed constant with a 70 pixel brush.

Watercolor - Fine camel
    Same results as above with both a 45 pixel brush and a 70 pixel one.

Impasto - Graphic Paintbrush
    70 pixel brush had no lag at all, with a fast or slow stroke.

When I maxed out all three brush sizes at 749.9 pixels, here's what I found:

Liquid Ink: I was told I don't have sufficient memory for that operation.

Watercolor: A very slight, but noticable, lag in the stroke.

Impasto: No lag at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.